Premium TV is lion wank!

OzzieMandias

Just signed up and forked out on .cock because I want to get the match commentary online.

Do all the credit card thing, hurrah, I'm in!

Looking forward to the game, click on the commentary link...

"The service requires that you are using Internet Explorer version 6 or greater and Windows Media Player version 9 or greater. The service is not currently available on Macs."

And of course, I use a Mac.

How hard can it be to stream some audio commentary to a Mac? Useless, incompetent bastards!

So, no commentary, and now I have to go through the tedious process of getting my fucking money back...

The problem is not streaming to a Mac, it's making sure you have a license on a Mac.  IE and Windows Media Player have some synergistic relationship that determines whether you properly have a license or not.  Not done yet for any Mac combo.

Here I sit with subscriptions to both World and Setanta Broadband, but since it's my morning to take the kids to gymnastics class, all I've got is my MacBook, and no game.  Have to watch the rebroadcast on Setanta later today.

It's about the DRM, they don't want their content posted on youtube and streamed elsewhere. I don't think Apple licenses its Fairplay DRM outside of iTunes, and as far as I know the only competitive cross-platform DRM system is RealPlayer's, and of course nobody wants to use that.

Also, some 95% of users use windows, and the windows DRM is cheap for companies and accessible for most users.

It's about the DRM, they don't want their content posted on youtube and streamed elsewhere. I don't think Apple licenses its Fairplay DRM outside of iTunes, and as far as I know the only competitive cross-platform DRM system is RealPlayer's, and of course nobody wants to use that.

Also, some 95% of users use windows, and the windows DRM is cheap for companies and accessible for most users.

Well, "most" isn't good enough, is it?

There's nowt on the page advertising what you get for your subscription that says "Unless you are one of the millions of people who use a Mac."

I've got WMP. And RealPlayer. And Quicktime Player. And VLC.

WMP opens when I click on the Newcastle World commentary link, long enough to say it's buffering, and then disappears to be replaced by the message that the service is not available to Macs.

Email them and get your money back.

Already did so. Won't help me enjoy the season, though.

Did you try the 'open match console option' as opposed to the 'audio only' option.

The audio only option requires IE.5, whereas the match console option doesnt.

Not sure if this will make any difference to Mac users though?

It doesn't need IE btw, works in Firefox.

Interesting.  I can get the audio commentary in FF, but not any of the video.  Setanta video works fine with FF.

I normally use the pop-up option anyway so I can leave the site as quickly as possible.

Email them and get your money back.

Already did so. Won't help me enjoy the season, though.

Did you try the 'open match console option' as opposed to the 'audio only' option.

The audio only option requires IE.5, whereas the match console option doesnt.

Not sure if this will make any difference to Mac users though?

Match console option wouldn't work either. I just got a different kind of error message (from my system, rather than from their site).