Allardyce Interview in The Times - transfers, season's targets and the fans...

EthiGeordie

Diop and Miguel please :thup:

Certainly two good acquisitions that would be.

One of them absolutely needless. Last thing we need is a centre-mid.

wouldn't go that far,allardyce's formations tend to work around the full time defensive midfielder,after butt we are struggling.

Every day my admiration for the guy grew he is spot on many things. see what he says about success.

?There?s enormous expectation here that comes not just from the size of the club and its history, but from its expenditure over the past few years. They?ve spent a lot and it hasn?t brought success. Kevin Keegan had a couple of second places [in 1996 and 1997] but look at the team he had. How could players that good not even win a cup? Lack of success over a prolonged period can get to you. Look at [golf?s Colin] Montgomerie. He?s never going to win a major because it?s gone on so long. If he had a six-inch putt to win one, I bet he?d miss. You need to crack it to release the pressure and allow the talent to come to the fore. Even [sir] Alex [Fergu-son] nearly didn?t make it at Manchester United. It took hima long time [more than six years] to win his first title. He won?t admit it, but the pressure got to him and he was psyched out by [Leeds United?s] Howard Wilkin-son the year before he finally got there. He should have won it ear-lier, but once he broke the back of it, nobody could stop him.?

He is correct and under his guidance we can break our duck. Another worring thing from the interview that I noticed was Ashlely indeed receive a bid that is not a good sign but I hope he will stay here for a while.

Receiving a bid isn't a sign of anything except someone being interested in buying the club. The fact that Ashley considered it is maybe worrying -- probably more a sign of the mess they discovered Shepherd had left behind than anything else -- but he decided not to accept it, so where's the problem?

Dismissing the offer without consideration would risk causing offence to Chinese businessmen. He 'officially' considered it (for how long?) out of business courtesy imo and even then, Mort was quite scathing with his 'getting all sorts of offers' quote.

I dont get this Crouch, Davies, Ameobi comment.

Surely if comparing with Macdonald, Royle etc as players playing in the same league at the same time, the quality would be exceeded by English centre forwards Owen, Rooney and Shearer.

He's not.  He's saying how bad the quality of players has dropped :D   Not entirely sure why he added Sholas name there though,  can't see him being best impressed.

About the booing thing,  I think thats a massive thing for Sam to say,  and a lot of fans need to take note.  Maybe you should make an exception and give it a thread there.  I'd like to see if anyone disagrees with what he's said,  without having to sift through all the stuff in here. 

So basically, he's comparing the best of an era with the mediocre of a different era?

Surely he should be comparing Shola to a player that was as equally forgotten about as Shola will be in 40 years.

Nothing there made sense, and he'd have been better off keeping his mouth shut regarding Shola in my opinion, true, or not.

Still a brilliant manager though.

He compared Shola to a player he rates highly and the current incumbent of his position in the England squad. Flattery tbh.