Now there's competition for places.....

Ikon

Look at our squad now compared to the last few seasons. Im very impressed with Big Sam and what he's done so far in such a short time. He has raised the quality of our team and squad big time, especially when you consider how little money that we have spent compared to some other teams. We now have a much more balanced team and squad and dont have to rely on young players like Huntington, Edgar and Pattison to name a few. Instead we have some relatively experienced players as backup with much more proven quality, maybe not in the PL yet but im hopeful that most of the signings so far made are going to prove successful, especially when you look at our injury list atm. There are players with proven quality like Barton, Owen, Given, Emre, Duff. Maybe Duff and Emre hasn't exactly set the world a light yet. But their talent is there as most of us know and hopefully under Sam Allardyce they will raise their quality and becoming more consistent and prove themselves as important members of our squad.

Getting all these players back can only be good for the club and us fans, as it will give real competition for places and that resulting in every player knowing that they will have to be on their toes to keep their place in the team. They will grow with the challenge of some competition and as if they not produce, they will probably loose their place in the team and another hungry player will come in willing to grab his chance.

For once players will know that they are not automatic starters because there isn't quality enough in the squad to replace them like last season.

Big Sam is probably ten times the motivator comparing to Souness and Roeder. And Big Sam getting in some good players both for the team and squad will even further raise the motivation among the players.

If we can get a RB and maybe one or two on that the potential in our team/squad is wayyy much better than it has been in a looong time. And in my opinion we have the right manager to guide all these player in the right direction and with some luck when it comes to injurys im sure that we will have a season to be proud of. And if there's any fans who deserve something to smile about and enjoying some good times for once then it's us.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

As good as Sam's signings have been, their all a bit too old in my opinion.

Cacapa - 31

Viduka - 32 in 2 months

Rozehnal - 27

Geremi - 29 in December

Barton - 25 in a few weeks

Smith - 27 in 2 months

Enrique - 21

By the January window the average age of these players (Enrique aside) will be 28.

Viduka and Cacapa have two-years left. Geremi can probably play for another 4-5 years.

Enrique excites me. He is highly regarded in Spain and he will hopefully be a player that we'll have for years to come and develop into a top class left-back. We need to sign more young talent in other positions to strengthen the future of our club.

I guess that's what Big Sam intends to do (also signing younger players) but that's not what newcastle really need at this moment. The players that are relatively old didn't exactly cost much either tbh.

We will have a good mix. You cant wint anything with 11 James Milner's ;)

Robsons policy of buying young was arguably the biggest mistake he made.  IMO, an average age of 28 is about right.  You need a core squad of experienced players - professionals you know what they are doing - to make an impact in the Premiership.  That's the difference between successfully defending a 3-1 lead at Bolton and choking in the last half hour. 

Patience! Sam said he wanted to bring in experienced players... you can't have enough experience of the premiership below the age of 25 imo. Sam has signed the right players for the club for this present time... of course younger and bigger players would come in, but we need to be successful in order to attract them!

Cacapa - 31

Viduka - 32 in 2 months

Rozehnal - 27

Geremi - 29 in December

Smith - 27 in 2 months

Enrique - 21

By the January window the average age of these players (Enrique aside) will be 28.

Viduka and Cacapa have two-years left. Geremi can probably play for another 4-5 years.

Enrique excites me. He is highly regarded in Spain and he will hopefully be a player that we'll have for years to come and develop into a top class left-back. We need to sign more young talent in other positions to strengthen the future of our club.

The last thing this club needs now are players with little or no experience.

Average age 28 suggests experience. Just think of Viana etc. if you want to see why at this moment in time Sam has it spot on.

We really have some nice competition for places up front and in midfield, especially when we get our injured players back. Great work so far from Big Sam and the rest involved. Will keep everyone on their toes.

I do believe that we will ve much more consistent than we have been before, and not any push overs as we have been..

Cacapa - 31

Viduka - 32 in 2 months

Rozehnal - 27

Geremi - 29 in December

Smith - 27 in 2 months

Enrique - 21

28 is when players hit their peak, the exceptions being defenders which is 30/31. I don't see what harm at all there is in buying players a couple of years from their peak, or currently at their peak. We now have a mix of older players, Butt, Nobby, Viduka etc who can bring on players like Taylor, Milner, Carroll etc.

Superb signings.

Now bring in a defender that can play both CB and LB and a quality RB...im already satisfied with the signings so far to say at least. But getting a couple on top of that will make very very satisfied...

Cacapa - 31

Viduka - 32 in 2 months

Rozehnal - 27

Geremi - 29 in December

Smith - 27 in 2 months

Enrique - 21

The last thing this club needs now are players with little or no experience.

Average age 28 suggests experience. Just think of Viana etc. if you want to see why at this moment in time Sam has it spot on.

It's a building process and we need players in who can do the business now, not in a few years time when they've developed.

I'm sure he'll be looking to add younger players next summer to compete with the older players, we should be a more settled club then.

Guest zerocipher

Look whats happened to arsenal now that they have gone the way of the young...the only reason they beat fulham today is because of a shitty american defender giving away a stupid pen

And when Allardyce goes for some younger players in the future they will have a much better environment to be eased in to the team/squad slowly and have a better chance of fulfilling their potential as we probably will be much more organised both on and off the pitch. We will simply be a more settled and stabile club as Baggio mentioned.

Building for the short term, which is exactly what we need. A good foundation to build on, and experienced professionals who can teach the younger players the ropes of the premiership. It excites me more and more for every day that passes, to be honest.