Games abroad (not involving Newcastle)

Mowen

Any Toon fan going to Budapest should be making a beeline to the Szusza Ferenc Stadium formerly known as the Megyeri úti where Bobby Moncur and the boys did their stuff in 1969.

I went there in 2005 and saw them play, and win 3-1 against Lombard. While the ground was only half full the atmosphere was good, entry cheap (£3) for good seats and there seemed to be a good bond with them and their fans.

On the last day of that season in true Toon style they threw away the league by losing to Videoton at home and allowed Debrecen to take the title. Debrecen then lost their Champions League qualifier to the Macedonian (!!) champions. Ujpest lost to Vaduz of Liechtenstein in their UEFA cup match so Hungarian football is not exactly top drawer at the moment. This year Debrecen also lost in the 1st round qualifier.

If you go on a weekend then you'll be able to catch 1 game as there are 4 teams in the city. MTK, Ferencvaros, Ujpest and Vasas. The latter have the dubious claim to fame of being the only team the mackems have ever beaten in Europe.

I've also been to see Espanyol v Betis (2-4) and slightly less glamourously FC Atlantis of Helsinki v Hameenlinna which was a great game finishing 3-2.

Any Toon fan going to Budapest should be making a beeline to the Szusza Ferenc Stadium formerly known as the Megyeri úti where Bobby Moncur and the boys did their stuff in 1969.

I went there in 2005 and saw them play, and win 3-1 against Lombard. While the ground was only half full the atmosphere was good, entry cheap (£3) for good seats and there seemed to be a good bond with them and their fans.

On the last day of that season in true Toon style they threw away the league by losing to Videoton at home and allowed Debrecen to take the title. Debrecen then lost their Champions League qualifier to the Macedonian (!!) champions. Ujpest lost to Vaduz of Liechtenstein in their UEFA cup match so Hungarian football is not exactly top drawer at the moment. This year Debrecen also lost in the 1st round qualifier.

If you go on a weekend then you'll be able to catch 1 game as there are 4 teams in the city. MTK, Ferencvaros, Ujpest and Vasas. The latter have the dubious claim to fame of being the only team the mackems have ever beaten in Europe.

I didn't know that about Vasas! Funny!

I made the trip up to Ujpest once, and watched a derby against Ferencvaros. The two biggest teams in the country, deadly rivals, and they still couldn't quite fill this crumbling, concrete stadium that looked like nothing had happened to it since 1969, except for bits falling off. There was a pathetic fracas where a few Fradi fans tore down a bit of the fence separating them from the pitch and set fire to a few newspapers and stuff and a couple of dozen riot police with shields moved in to head them off. Can't even remember the score.

Ujpest fans are nice, honest folk compared to Ferencvaros supporters. Salt of the earth. Ferencvaros are like Millwall.

I live in Hungary, but I never go to matches. Our football is so sh*t. MTK is the 2nd "best" team in the country behind Debrecen. The have a very young squad with some relatively talented players. They've just sold three players (Krisztián Németh, András Simon and Péter Gulácsi) to Liverpool. They have by far the best youth academy in the country. And their fans are not the a*sholes Ferencváros and Újpest fans are. So if you really want to see a Budapest based team, MTK is the "ideal" choice. But I warn you, it probably will be the worst match you will ever see in your life! Oh, and the Vasas - Diósgyőr "derby" will be even worse.

Barca vs AC Milan - Gamper Trophy 03, basically their last friendly before the season starts, sold out stadium (105,000?) absolutely awesome atmosphere from 20mins before kick off til the end. Ronny was out injured, Eto'o's first game infront of the Barca crowd and he was fuckin AWESOME! Tomasson played for AC. Final score; Barca 2-1 AC

Amsterdam Tourny 05 - Ajax vs Boca (0-1) and Arsenal vs Inter

Seen several games in Finland - nowt worth reporting, very poor standard (about League 2 - Blackburn should honestly get 4 2mora night in MyPa) Low crowds - 3k maybes, with about 300 fans chanting throughout.

Also so Palamos vs Espayol friendly in which Didier Domi played, and Raul Tamudo was class.

I live in Hungary, but I never go to matches. Our football is so sh*t. MTK is the 2nd "best" team in the country behind Debrecen. The have a very young squad with some relatively talented players. They've just sold three players (Krisztián Németh, András Simon and Péter Gulácsi) to Liverpool. They have by far the best youth academy in the country. And their fans are not the a*sholes Ferencváros and Újpest fans are. So if you really want to see a Budapest based team, MTK is the "ideal" choice. But I warn you, it probably will be the worst match you will ever see in your life! Oh, and the Vasas - Diósgy?r "derby" will be even worse.

I see, then, that little has indeed changed since I tried to get interested in magyar labdarügás.