Jol on the brink? Breaking news:Ramos snubs huge Spurs offer.

Parky

In your opinion he's destroying them where as my opinion is he's made them stronger than they've ever been since the Premier league started, if they get rid of Jol and get someone like Ramos then we could see the next stage of their plan. If Comolli did leave Spurs his likely destination would be Arsenal anyway. 

In your opinion he's destroying them where as my opinion is he's made them stronger than they've ever been since the Premier league started, if they get rid of Jol and get someone like Ramos then we could see the next stage of their plan. If Comolli did leave Spurs his likely destination would be Arsenal anyway. 

All I see is a team supposedly 'buying for the future' but the future never comes.

Bar Berbs Comolli has had little affect on the current side apart from making Jol feel his job is unsafe for the last year or so.

Have a look at his cv.

7 years at Saint Etienne (hardly big guns in Euro are they?).

Wenger was thinking about Rodent ffs...My questioning of his judgement was too kind it seems.  :razz:

All I see is a team supposedly 'buying for the future' but the future never comes.

Bar Berbs Comolli has had little affect on the current side apart from making Jol feel his job is unsafe for the last year or so.

Have a look at his cv.

Wenger was thinking about Rodent ffs...My questioning of his judgement was too kind it seems.  :razz:

That story probably emanated from Thompson House though in fairness.

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

But this thread has blown wide open all this DOF bollocks. :lol:

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

You've just argued Comolli isn't very good at it as far as I can see. It's difficult to make a judgement without knowing what his role actually is though and I take MJ's ITK stuff with a large dose of salt.

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

You've just argued Comolli isn't very good at it as far as I can see. It's difficult to make a judgement without knowing what his role actually is though and I take MJ's ITK stuff with a large dose of salt.

Is there a role?

Did I mention he was French? :lol:

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

Is there a role?

In the wider sense, you mean? Because if that is what you mean, that's not what I meant :razz:

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

Is there a role?

In the wider sense, you mean? Because if that is what you mean, that's not what I meant :razz:

I hope you remember all those long smug posts by MJ (no offence intended) and the like (kingprawn or whatever his name is) about how infalliable and forward thinking their 'system' and 'planning' was...Turns out it's a managerial quagmire and a political minefield.

If we implement the system here the DOF should be on an equal footing as Big Sam and not someone watching over his shoulder imo. He should look after the overall health of the football club and develop the infrastructure. More importantly he should stick to buying players Sam wants....

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

Three out of the top five teams in the past two seasons have had a DoF structure in place, whereas most if not all of the rest of the Premieship do not. If Shepherd would have kept Robson on as a DoF, do you think we would have been where we were at the end of last season three seasons down the line..? The alternatives to a DoF are having managers taking care of the long term decision making at the club (not ideal because it costs precious time they should spend on first team matters and more importantly detrimental to the club's finances because managers will be replaced every few seasons and will want to bring in their own players at the expense of the investments made by the previous manager) or having a non-football chairman making important football-related decisions (something we have seen with Shepherd quite frequently, resulting in us having a top of the range training grounds described by our new previously midtable Premiership manager as at the level of an above average squash club and the chairman actively involved in bringing in the playing staff). In the past few seasons Newcastle have suffered the consequences of both alternatives. As I said earlier, the DoF structure is not without its problems if it is badly executed, but it is not a coincidence that most of the successful clubs in this league have chosen to organise things this way.

I'm not a great believer in having one in all honesty Parky. Cut through all the opinion as to whether it works though and Spurs have done well of late (best two Premier League finishes in successive seasons). And having (or not having) a DoF doesn't neccessarily mean there is, or isn't, more political in-fighting at big (or indeed any sized) clubs.

Have a look at his cv.

Perhaps.

Is there a role?

Did I mention he was French? :lol:

Lost in the politics and not whats important. Quelle surprise.

Baggio is seething that you are trying to dismantle his carefully constructed arguments of the last 12 months.  :lol:

These clubs were successful in the past without a doF. Chelsea are an anomaly.

Spurs wasn't at the level that they have been in the recent past. Also, Dein has been the DoF (maybe not in title but certainly in role) at Arsenal from before Wenger was appointed in 1996 (source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6571099.stm). Chelsea is the only other club I mentioned, and a bit of an anomaly as you mention, but still a good example as apparently Abramovic saw the sense in appointing a Director of Football rather than completely depend on the manager in place and entrust them with the cash.

Spurs wasn't at the level that they have been in the recent past. Also, Dein has been the DoF (maybe not in title but certainly in role) at Arsenal from before Wenger was appointed in 1996 (source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6571099.stm). Chelsea is the only other club I mentioned, and a bit of an anomaly as you mention, but still a good example as apparently Abramovic saw the sense in appointing a Director of Football rather than completely depend on the manager in place and entrust them with the cash.

What has the DOF at Chelsea done?

Why is Mourinho constantly bemoaning he has no youth players coming through?

It's all very well signing young players for huge fees that other big clubs are after, but surely that is the anti-thesis of the DOF role?

Dien is not a fucking DOF. He was from the old Arsenal board who understood/headhunted and worked closely with Wenger. He didn't suggest or buy ANYBODY...He had zero input in the youth setup.

Not really, it'll take more than a half baked opinion from someone who's generally clueless about football to dismantle any arguement i've formed, same goes for yourself.

You talking to me....? mackems.gif

I thought you were over your bitchng phase that lasted 2 whole weeks...

You've done nothing but parrot the general consensus on DOF's not an original idea in your head it seems.

It's all very well signing young players for huge fees that other big clubs are after, but surely that is the anti-thesis of the DOF role?

Dien is not a f****** DOF. He was from the old Arsenal board who understood/headhunted and worked closely with Wenger. He didn't suggest or buy ANYBODY...He had zero input in the youth setup.

As I said, he may not have had the DoF title officially, but he certainly acted the part by all accounts. The club itself states it is looking for a DoF to replace Dein itself: http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=477261&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+My+delay+over+Director+of+Football

Dien is not a f****** DOF. He was from the old Arsenal board who understood/headhunted and worked closely with Wenger. He didn't suggest or buy ANYBODY...He had zero input in the youth setup.

As I said, he may not have had the DoF title officially, but he certainly acted the part by all accounts. The club itself states it is looking for a DoF to replace Dein itself: http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=477261&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+My+delay+over+Director+of+Football

How did he act the part then?

Did he suggest player purchases?

Did he oversee the youth system?

Did he plan the training and fitness structure?

I think the Dien thing has been overplayed by the media. He was a good sounding board for Wenger and his voice in the boardroom, I'm not aware of anything futher...

More DOF lunacy...

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2710693.ece

Avram Grant has been appointed Chelsea's new sporting director, according to sources at the Premiership club.

The move, which is expected to be officially announced after 1 July, is a further sign of the tenuous grip that manager Jose Mourinho has on his own job. Crucially Grant will be given wide-ranging powers - including involvement in coaching, signing players and their recruitment.

Mourinho will not walk out, as he threatened to do when Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich first proposed employing Grant back in January as a means of improving the club's fortunes and getting more out of misfiring striker Andrei Shevchenko in particular. However, it will be fascinating to see how Mourinho copes with the new structure.

Grant will leave his current post as technical director of Portsmouth. It is understood that Grant, who had never previously worked outside Israel, has agreed a two-year contract.

:razz:

Have a look at his cv.

he was never at st etienne for 7 years, but he was Arsene Wenger's head scout for 7 years, scouting the likes of Toure and Eboue, then he went to St Etienne for a couple of years before spurs snatched him up.