Is European football just an excuse

Guest unrealterrorist

A player who just joins a club who are in europe isn't as valuable as a player who joins a club he believes in and wants to help make them a success, imo. Not too many of them around but I do think Barton, Rozenhal and hopefully Enrique too fit that category.

true but if a plethora of clubs are after a certain player (assuming the wages are the same) that player will undoubtedly pick a more successful team.

I haven't noticed Man City have any problems.

There are lots of factors but using Parky's example if I was a player and had the choice of Bolton or Man City (pre season, even before Sven arrived) I would say joining Bolton would be the wrong move, even though they had european football.

This would be due to the size of crowd, potential, history etc at City outweighing a few games against some Estonians at Bolton

I think a high profile manager also makes a big differance.

A player who just joins a club who are in europe isn't as valuable as a player who joins a club he believes in and wants to help make them a success, imo. Not too many of them around but I do think Barton, Rozenhal and hopefully Enrique too fit that category.

true but if a plethora of clubs are after a certain player (assuming the wages are the same) that player will undoubtedly pick a more successful team.

There are lots of factors but using Parky's example if I was a player and had the choice of Bolton or Man City (pre season, even before Sven arrived) I would say joining Bolton would be the wrong move, even though they had european football.

This would be due to the size of crowd, potential, history etc at City outweighing a few games against some Estonians at Bolton

not quite fair.. in order to carry out an experiment all variables bar one have to be fixed. nobody's talking about club prestige, history etc. Here's a hypothetical example: two teams completely alike except one has european football.. who does the player choose? now thats an experiment..  :coolsmiley:

not quite fair.. in order to carry out an experiment all variables bar one have to be fixed. nobody's talking about club prestige, history etc. Here's a hypothetical example: two teams completely alike except one has european football.. who does the player choose? now thats an experiment..  :coolsmiley:

As in all other warks of business you have to sell the business to prospective partners/associates ie players. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Of course CL football makes a differance but I don't think Uefa cup footie is really a decider. It comes down to the manager/ambition and how the club and area are perceived by the incoming player.

As in all other warks of business you have to sell the business to prospective partners/associates ie players. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Of course CL football makes a differance but I don't think Uefa cup footie is really a decider. It comes down to the manager/ambition and how the club and area are perceived by the incoming player.

obviously there are other greater allures than uefa.. but to dissmiss european football alltogether as one, is just silly. The higher in the league we come this year the better the talent we can attract.

obviously there are other greater allures than uefa.. but to dissmiss european football alltogether as one, is just silly. The higher in the league we come this year the better the talent we can attract.

Can you see I'm taking great and unwieldy pains to distinguish between uefa cup and champions league?

Can you see I'm taking great and unwieldy pains to distinguish between uefa cup and champions league?

yes i can see that, but painstakingly describing the distinction is totally unnecessary. nobody is going to say that the attraction of CL football is anywhere near the attraction of uefa cup football.. but teams in like newcastle wherein CL football is out of reach, it definitely plays its role; sure managers, stadia, history,fanbase and money are waaay ahead of european footie in terms of attracting talent - but it's outlandish to say that players don't hold a place in the uefa cup with high regard- afterall its an indication of a teams position in  their respective league. Won't a team be a more attractive prospect if it's higher in its league? - thats all i'm saying, its not as if AZ allkmaar has more allure than us just because it plays in europe.

yes i can see that, but painstakingly describing the distinction is totally unnecessary. nobody is going to say that the attraction of CL football is anywhere near the attraction of uefa cup football.. but teams in like newcastle wherein CL football is out of reach, it definitely plays its role; sure managers, stadia, history,fanbase and money are waaay ahead of european footie in terms of attracting talent - but it's outlandish to say that players don't hold a place in the uefa cup with high regard- afterall its an indication of a teams position in  their respective league. Won't a team be a more attractive prospect if it's higher in its league? - thats all i'm saying, its not as if AZ allkmaar has more allure than us just because it plays in europe.

No. bluerazz.gif

No. bluerazz.gif

:kasper: Got me there.. touche 

bluelaugh.gif

Guest BooBoo

In all honesty i wont miss shelling out £20 to watch Newcastle play some no marks from the eastern bloc in front of  a vaguely interested half empty St James. The new format ruined a competition whose importance next to the Champions League was becoming diminished each year anyway. The UEFA does get exciting later on- witness our two legged 1/4 final v PSV, the semi in Marseilles or the (in the end) horrendous capitulation in Lisbon. All great ties but god knows, its a long old slog to get there.

Frankly, i'm pleased we have a year off this competition.

In all honesty i wont miss shelling out £20 to watch Newcastle play some no marks from the eastern bloc in front of  a vaguely interested half empty St James. The new format ruined a competition whose importance next to the Champions League was becoming diminished each year anyway. The UEFA does get exciting later on- witness our two legged 1/4 final v PSV, the semi in Marseilles or the (in the end) horrendous capitulation in Lisbon. All great ties but god knows, its a long old slog to get there.

Frankly, i'm pleased we have a year off this competition.

Can't add anything to that. My sentiments exactly. UEFA needs to sort it out.

Any body really thought why is European competition is so important to footballers Christ look at some of the teamS we have played in Europe in the past. I think the possibility of winning a trophy(FA Cup) or trying to going for the premier would be good enough for them to want to come here since we. Are a club going forward(Well that what everybody is saying). Would you rather go to Bolton or Everton cause they are in Europe because I know I bloody wouldn't.

Surely Everton is a club going forward, with a foundation of good players?

And surely Bolton under Sam Allardyce was a club going forward which look like they would be consistently in Europe for a few years in coming?

What had Newcastle to offer compared to them, before Mike Ashley took over?

Guest BooBoo

Any body really thought why is European competition is so important to footballers Christ look at some of the teamS we have played in Europe in the past. I think the possibility of winning a trophy(FA Cup) or trying to going for the premier would be good enough for them to want to come here since we. Are a club going forward(Well that what everybody is saying). Would you rather go to Bolton or Everton cause they are in Europe because I know I bloody wouldn't.

And surely Bolton under Sam Allardyce was a club going forward which look like they would be consistently in Europe for a few years in coming?

Bigger wages. Money talks bigger than the UEFA Cup.

Bigger wages. Money talks bigger than the UEFA Cup.

The bottom line talks.