You're The Ref

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Geordiesned

I was reading through the papers this morning whilst waiting to get my car sorted at the garage and I came across ex-ref Graham Poll's column in the Daily Mail. As usual he was spouted shite trying to blame players for everything whilst absolving refs of any wrong doing ever, but the bit I want to mention is the sort of "You're the ref" bit he had after his article. The question was;

A player is running towards goal and is having his shirt tugged by an oppostion player. He carries on running into the penalty area and falls to the ground whilst still having his shirt tugged. Do you;

A) Award a free kick to the attacking team as the initial infringement was outside the penalty area;

B) Award a free kick to the defending team and book the attacking player for simulation;

or

C) Award a penalty as it doesn't matter where the initial foul was committed.

So, what do you think is the correct answer? I'll let you know the answer that was given once a few people have given their answers. Suffice to say, I think the answer given is utter bollocks and goes a long way to explain why Graham Poll fucked up so many decisions!

EDIT: Howay Mosley, what say you?

Guest toonlass

I was reading through the papers this morning whilst waiting to get my car sorted at the garage and I came across ex-ref Graham Poll's column in the Daily Mail. As usual he was spouted shite tryinh to blame players for everything whilst absolving refs of any wrong doing ever, but the bit I want to mention is the sort of "You're the ref" bit he had after his article. The question was;

A player is running towards goal and is having his shirt tugged by an oppostion player. He carried on running into the penalty area and falls to the ground whilst still having his shirt tugged. Do you;

A) Award a free kick to the attacking team as the initial infringement was outside the penalty area;

B) Award a free kick to the defending team and book the attacking player for simulation;

or

C) Award a penalty as it doesn;t matter where the initial foul was committed.

So, what do you think is the correct answer? I'll let you know the answer that was given once a few people have given their answers. Suffice to say, I think the answer given is utter bollocks and goes a long way to explain why Graham Poll fucked up so many decisions!

I think it should be a, as its the same as if a player fouls another outside the box, but ends up falling into the penalty box. The initial foul was outside the box.

Guest Geordiesned

I know the actual answer, so I won't say, but to be fair to Poll he'll be taking his answer from the lawbook, not his own interpretation.

You'll get a sore arse sitting on the fence PM!

Well I guess it should be A.

But then we are assuming it was a real shirt tug one that clearly halts the player's progress. There are so many different situations in actual play... If he blantantly throws himself on the floor, then play on :D

Guest Geordiesned

Well the answer given was C - award a penalty as it doesn't matter where the initial foul was committed.

Utter shite IMO! The whole point of the advantage rule is that the ref tried to play an advantage but if there isn't one he brings play back to where the initial foul was committed.

What Poll is saying is that it's perfectly ok for a player to carry on running when he's having his shirt tugged outside the area and then go down like he's been shot once he crosses the white line of the 18 yard box! And they wonder why there's divers in the game!

I know the actual answer, so I won't say, but to be fair to Poll he'll be taking his answer from the lawbook, not his own interpretation.

:D I'm not!  I'm just saying that using it as a stick to beat Poll with is a bit off the mark, since the correct answer is in the laws of the game (plus its not as if there aren't enough sticks to beat Poll with already!).

Incidentally this was one of the most incorrectly answered questions in a quiz on the laws.

:D I'm not!  I'm just saying that using it as a stick to beat Poll with is a bit off the mark, since the correct answer is in the laws of the game (plus its not as if there aren't enough sticks to beat Poll with already!).

Incidentally this was one of the most incorrectly answered questions in a quiz on the laws.

Aye, because the law's a load of shit!

Guest Geordiesned

The answer given is clearly not applied by the majority of refs. I can think of several times where I've seen players go down in the area but the ref has given a free kick outside in exactly the same circumstances as described. Either they don't know the rules or they're daring to use common sense. How very dare they!

Guest toonlass

Hold on. Just re-read the question. He's STILL having his shirt tugged in the box? Hmmm...

Depends as well, has he ran 35 yards with his shirt being pulled and then fallen over, in which case he should be executed without a trial and his parents sent to a lepar colony. It has to be where the initial foul occured and if it is his shirt being pulled just outside the box then the free kick should be outside the box.

The answer given is clearly not applied by the majority of refs. I can think of several times where I've seen players go down in the area but the ref has given a free kick outside in exactly the same circumstances as described. Either they don't know the rules or they're daring to use common sense. How very dare they!

Well as you say its perhaps daft,  but its the way its meant to be.

I guess the argument from the other side is that the defender has to be pretty stupid to keep holding his shirt.

Well the answer given was C - award a penalty as it doesn't matter where the initial foul was committed.

Utter shite IMO! The whole point of the advantage rule is that the ref tried to play an advantage but if there isn't one he brings play back to where the initial foul was committed.

What Poll is saying is that it's perfectly ok for a player to carry on running when he's having his shirt tugged outside the area and then go down like he's been shot once he crosses the white line of the 18 yard box! And they wonder why there's divers in the game!

Totally disagree with you, if someone is stupid enough to grab your shirt outside the box, then continues to hold it inside the box, its their own stupid fault when a penalty is awarded.

Totally disagree with you, if someone is stupid enough to grab your shirt outside the box, then continues to hold it inside the box, its their own stupid fault when a penalty is awarded.

I agree. Didn't read the question fully when I first answered. The point must be that the foul is STILL happening when the player goes down in the box.

Well there's so many other factors that theory can't really account for. It can only give out guidelines. As much as some people have a go, I thank god in England the refs use their common sense. Logic is your best friend when reffing.

Lack of it and following "rules" like a lemming is what makes footy in some European games or in France for example so unbearable.

Guest toonlass

He should awarded some kind of medal if he can run 35 yards while being pulled back.

Emmmm, I think I may have been trying to be ironic  :yikes:

Guest toonlass

He should awarded some kind of medal if he can run 35 yards while being pulled back.

Emmmm, I think I may have been trying to be ironic  :yikes:

While I, myself, was merely being facetious.

In that case we are evens then,  ;D

Guest Saint Andy

this is never answer c imo. By eliminating the wrong answers

a - didn't go down when shirt pulled, play on or advantage.

c - nah sod that, too many divers already. don't want to encourage people to wait till they get to the box to go down.

so the answer is clearly b. we can now all have a good laugh at the little fag for falling over so easily, then crying when he doesn't get a spot kick.

:D