Butt: Allardyce reminds me of Ferguson

Rich

Big Sam is the new Fergie

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

AFTER 13 trophy-laden years at Old Trafford, Nicky Butt does not draw comparisons with his surrogate father, Sir Alex Ferguson, easily.

But it has taken Sam Allardyce just three months to convince one of Manchester United’s favourite sons that he is a manager in Fergie’s own image.

Not least because Big Sam has shattered the culture of complacency which Butt believes has dogged Newcastle in recent times.

And Allardyce is a big part of the reason why a born-again Butt believes he can continue to “stick two fingers up” at those who had written him off on Tyneside.

Butt pulls no punches in analysing the downturn in Newcastle’s fortunes which prompted Allardyce’s arrival at St James’s Park.

But he is equally forthright in his praise for a manager who is cutting no corners in trying to engineer a revival which will be tested at Middlesbrough today.

“I see similarities between them,” says Butt of Allardyce and Ferguson. “You definitely know who’s boss here, as you do at United.

“He’s the man everyone looks up to, and when he walks onto the training pitch everyone steps up a level.

“The set-up here now is also similar to Old Trafford. The manager and the staff there were always 100 per cent every day in training, and the gaffer is obviously trying to promote that here.

“He’s obviously a no-nonsense manager. From an outsider’s view looking in on his time at Bolton, he looked like a tough man to play for and would take no crap, and I’m sure he’ll be the same here.

“He’s come in, set up a whole new regime, with new training methods and an emphasis on dedication and commitment. He’s made it clear that no player here can take anything for granted.”

And taking nothing for granted means sweat and blood — but tears for anyone unwilling to address last season’s shortcomings.

“The gaffer‘s had a chat with us all, telling us he expects us to work hard every day in training,” adds Butt.

“We have heart monitors on to check that we are training hard, and if he thinks we’re not performing even in training and not applying ourselves right, we’ll not be selected on a Saturday.

“Maybe over the last few years here, people have expected to play if they are performing well or not.

“Last year, a few of us maybe didn’t put ourselves on the line, both in training and in games, but still expected to play week in, week out.

“Everyone’s guilty of that sometimes. Everybody can take their eye off the ball now and again. But with wearing a monitor, you can’t really do that now.”

And a fitter squad is proving to be a happier squad.

“Everyone is happier now. At the end of last season we were all upset; all peed off about the season that had gone by and the way things had shaped out.

“But now it’s a new season, a new start. We’re all together now and keen to keep it that way.”

Dressing room already changed beyond recognition, Butt now wants a new outlook among supporters to whom he still feels he has something to prove.

The memory of being booed on his return to Newcastle from a loan spell at Birmingham — which itself followed a difficult first season for Butt in the North East — is increasingly distant, but still distinct.

“Obviously, I didn’t get a great reception when I first came back, and I’d like to think that, the way I’ve been brought up in life — and in football — is to stick two fingers up at people.

“I’ve tried to do that and hopefully I’ll do that over the next few years.

“To have the fans on your side here though is a great thing because they are very passionate . . . hopefully I can keep them on my side.”

But first things first: that shift in supporters’ expectations. A goalless draw against Aston Villa in the opening home game of the season prompted some to accuse Allardyce’s side of negativity, with Butt’s midfield partnership with Geremi part of the case for the prosecution.

“We’re very alike players and, at home, the crowd are obviously very passionate and want to see us go and win games,” Butt acknowledges.

“But I think maybe over the years, Newcastle have been guilty of trying to show off a bit too much; been a bit too gung-ho and have ended up losing games 4-3 or 3-2.

“It’s not for me to tell them (the fans) how to watch football. But if we play a boring, terrible game that they all boo at and it ends 0-0, I’d rather have that and get a point than play in a great game to watch where we get beat 3-1 or 3-2.”

Yet whether they grind or groove their way there, Butt believes Newcastle are bound for better things.

“The top six . . . if we can keep our main players injury free — especially defenders,” he says.

“Defence is an area where we probably lack a bit at the moment. Everywhere else in the team — wide, midfield, up front — if we have injuries, there are top-class players who can come in and take over.

“But if we can keep our defenders reasonably fit for the season, we can make the top six.”

And helping Newcastle get there would represent quite some renaissance for a man who never expected a second chance at the club.

“When I left for Birmingham I definitely thought there was no way I was coming back here,” he said. “If you leave a club at my age, you generally never go back.

“I had a chat with Graeme Souness, who was manager then. It was man to man, it wasn’t an argument, and he just told me I wouldn’t be in the starting line-up and that at my age I’d want to play football.

“So I left to go and play football — it wasn’t a personal thing. But it worked out that I came back here. And I’m very happy I did.”

I know Nicky Butt isn't going to come out and say Allardyce is the worst manager he's ever seen, but the bloke doesn't seem like the sort to blow hot air up anyone's arse just for the sake of it. I know there's the question of keeping Big Sam sweet to get a new contract/keep his place in the team as well, but it certainly bodes well to have stories like this in the national media coming from players who have a lot of respect and experience in football.

Nothing we don't know already, but it's nice to hear more positive soundbites coming from within the camp and it's good to see that the players seem to be responding to Allardyce's methods. Martins was saying similar things recently about training being far more professional since Roeder was replaced.

Can't help but feel that we're in good hands.

Interesting how Butt has become more outspoken in recent months.  Towards the end of last season, he was talking about players who did not want to play for the club.  He was also very positive about Allardyce on his appointment.

I don't think Butt would say anything unless he meant it so it is reassuring to hear him saying how much better things are.

I have to admit that I have changed my mind about Butt, and am full of admiration for the way he has battled back into most supporters' favour after that dreadful semi-final with his former employers.

He looked for all intents & purposes finished at SJP when he went to Brum, but he has shown a lot of character to re-establish himself and win fans over - it can't have been easy, but he does seem to be basically an honest player; exactly what we now need in the Dressing Room.

I'm sure his comments about Allardyce are genuine.

Butts attitude makes you realise how weak minded jenas was, who decided to take a leap out of the fishbowl instead of gritting his teeef and applying himself.

As much as manc (butt and scholes etc) look miserable bastards they do seem to have some tenacity and grit.  Which are  very needed qualities for a midfielder!