Wenger lauds Arsenal's values and traditions

Delima

How far can this batch of youngsters go?

GK - Lukas Fabianski - 22

RB - Bakari Sagna - 24

- Emmanuel Eboue - 24

CB - William Gallas - 30

- Toure - 26

- Philippe Senderos - 22 - (Unless he cuts down his error he will simply become another Titus Bramble)

- Johan Djourou - 20

LB - Gael Clichy - 22

- Armande Traore - 17

RM - Aliaksandr Hleb - 26

-

CM - Cesc Fabregas - 20

- Gilberto Silva - 30

- Matthiew Flamini - 23

- Denilson - 19

- Abou Diaby - 21

- Lassana Diarra - 22

LM - Tomas Rosicky - 26

FW - Eduardo da Silva - 24

- Robin Van Persie - 24

- Emmanuel Adebayor - 23

- Nicklas Bendtner - 19

- Theo Walcott - 18

Wenger lauds Arsenal's values and traditions

Matt Scott

Saturday September 8, 2007

The Guardian

Arsène Wenger firmly allied himself to Arsenal's board yesterday when he extended his contract as the manager at the Emirates Stadium into the next decade. Alongside his announcement that he had committed to the north London club until May 2011 there appeared to be a veiled message for the shareholders who are vying for control of Arsenal. "It is a special environment for me," Wenger said of the club he joined in September 1996.

Article continues

"But as well you must be careful to respond to that kind of trust and confidence by achieving the results and, as well, by behaving like the club wants you to behave. It's a club of values, traditions and you feel that you have to respond to that kind of responsibility."

That might be considered a tacit warning for his friend, David Dein, who was ejected from his role as vice-chairman over "irreconcilable differences" with his fellow directors in his strategy for the club. Last week Dein sold his 14.58% stake in the club to the Uzbek-born oligarch Alisher Usmanov for £75m.

The chairman, Peter Hill-Wood, yesterday took the opportunity to underline that Arsenal are thriving without Dein, who previously had responsibility for player contracts.

"I think the relationship with Arsène and the board has always been absolutely excellent," said Hill-Wood. "Recently I suppose it's been borne out by the transfer-market dealings that Ken Friar has been handling for us.

"He's got a very good relationship with Arsène. I think Arsène and the board of course are very happy with the results of those dealings - both selling and buying players. In short, the relationship between the board and Arsène, I think, is absolutely first-class."

Wenger has declared himself unworried by the investors who are battling for power, which has also seen the US billionaire Stan Kroenke build a 12.19% stake in the club, focusing instead on the quality of his promising young team, which lies second in the Premier League.

"I wanted to get a taste of how hungry this team is first before I definitely [signed on]," Wenger said. "I must say that it's a great pleasure to work with this team because we share the same hunger and desire to do well. I'm confident we can. I want to win the championship, win the Champions League and be consistent. It's simple. I want to achieve the maximum with this team and it is young and very ambitious as well, and I feel I share that ambition with my team."

He continued: "I love the job I have at Arsenal - I love to win and I feel I can win with Arsenal. They are the main reasons [i signed]. My heart is tied to this football club, so signing a new deal was always my intention. Arsenal is the club of my life. I feel I share the ambition with everybody to make Arsenal the best club in the world and that everybody works to be successful in that."

Wenger said his latest crop of players can eclipse the achievements of those over the past 11 seasons. "Yes, they have the ability," he declared. "The first signs this season are that the team has really matured. There is a completely different attitude towards the competition. They are more responsible, more disciplined and that can bring success."

Very far, looking at all their ages in a row like that.

Your forgetting Justin Hoyte, but i think he'll be gone soon unfortunately :(

Theres a young 17 year old called Hávard Nordtveit he is very highly rater around the Arsenal team instantly becoming reserves captain and was in the Champions League squad for the qualifiers

There is many lads 17-18 too coming through, so it looks very good, its just a matter of keeping some of the old heads around imo to ground them and advise them. The likes of Gilberto, Gallas, Lehmann.

Statue outside the Grove when Wenger leaves imo Chapman gets a bust, Wenger gets a statue!

In about 5 years, look at the team we could put out (barring any incomes/outgoings

Fabianski(27)

Sagna(29) - Toure(31) - Djourou(2527) - Clichy(27)

Hleb(31)- Fabregas(25) - Diarra(27) - Rosicky(31)

- RvP(29) - Walcott(23)/Bendtner(24)

Also the likes of Fran Merida and Carlos Vela coming through the ranks. Scary.

Unfortunately, i cant see Fran merida making the breakthrough, i see him being snapped up by another team, because i cant see him getting the opportunities he will want with Fabregas, Diaby and Denilson all infront of him, but if he impresses enough, and it will be his job to give Arsene no choice but to play him!

Very far, looking at all their ages in a row like that.

Your forgetting Justin Hoyte, but i think he'll be gone soon unfortunately :(

Theres a young 17 year old called Hávard Nordtveit he is very highly rater around the Arsenal team instantly becoming reserves captain and was in the Champions League squad for the qualifiers

There is many lads 17-18 too coming through, so it looks very good, its just a matter of keeping some of the old heads around imo to ground them and advise them. The likes of Gilberto, Gallas, Lehmann.

Statue outside the Grove when Wenger leaves imo Chapman gets a bust, Wenger gets a statue!

In about 5 years, look at the team we could put out (barring any incomes/outgoings

Fabianski(27)

Sagna(29) - Toure(31) - Djourou(2527) - Clichy(27)

Hleb(31)- Fabregas(25) - Diarra(27) - Rosicky(31)

- RvP(29) - Walcott(23)/Bendtner(24)

Wow! Didin't know he was 2525 years old  :laugh2:

They have got the best youth squad in europe imo

Fabregas is already 1 of the best midfielders in the world and hes only 20! Even the likes of Van Persie are pretty young (24)

then all the players who are 18-22 who will become excellent players either for Arsenal or another club

Well theres Gavin Hoyte he was captain (sometime)

Theres lots of good English lads coming through!

What chance do you think there is of Denilson leaving in the near future?

Despite his talent, hes surely going to struggle to be a regular first teamer with Fabregas at the club, hes surely going to need to move if he doesnt want to establish himself as a big name player.

Would absolutely love it if we could land him, looks a really good midfielder every time ive seen him, certainly fitting to be Brazil's U21 (or similar) captain.

Was called Connelly or something I think.

Despite his talent, hes surely going to struggle to be a regular first teamer with Fabregas at the club, hes surely going to need to move if he doesnt want to establish himself as a big name player.

Would absolutely love it if we could land him, looks a really good midfielder every time ive seen him, certainly fitting to be Brazil's U21 (or similar) captain.

I, and many other Arsenal fans, have thought about this, i really rate him, but there is Fabregas, Diaby and Denilson ALL great players and all who will get better, personally i see fabregas going in the next 2-3 seasons and Diaby and Denilson taking over, if we can Ward off interest from other sides. I think these will be top European sides for that matter too, he really is one of the most promising players i can ever remember seeing, seriously.

Theres all Merida, we have a very healthy problem.

Matthew Connolly is currently out on loan, he was the reserve team captain for a few seasons and and was very highly rated and looked really good a couple of seasons ago, he has been on the bench a few times aswell in the premiership and was last season against Bolton i think it was.

He seems to have fizzled off, hopefully being on loan at Colchester playing regularly may improve him as a player, i think he wont make it though tbh

Where's the English talent...

Well English talent there is a plenty, most notably Theo Walcott and Justin Hoyte, who i dont need to tell you about.

Then there is Kerrea Gilbert who was on loan at Cardiff last season now at Brighton, he looked really good when he first made his league breakthrough for us when we used 10000 defenders in 1 season, he played in his natural position and looked really really good, thats why i was surprised when RB Sagna came in, at Cardiff he looked impressive in the first half of the season and then 'something' happened behind the scene which made him out of favor, now he has dropped a league, playing well, but again i dont think the breakthrough will be made.

Matthew Connolly has appeared at most levels for England and been good, but the hope around him after his brilliant first seasons seems to have died. On loan at Brighton.

Jay Simpson Highly rated 18 year old, fisrt scorer of a hat-trick at The Grove, looks really good, and is on loan at Milwall. High expectations.

Mark Randall, Henri Lansdsbury, Keiran Gibbs these are all good english kids, seriously, there is alot of good english kids coming through these are the most notable ones.

Guest Knightrider

I, and many other Arsenal fans, have thought about this, i really rate him, but there is Fabregas, Diaby and Denilson ALL great players and all who will get better, personally i see fabregas going in the next 2-3 seasons and Diaby and Denilson taking over, if we can Ward off interest from other sides. I think these will be top European sides for that matter too, he really is one of the most promising players i can ever remember seeing, seriously.

Matthew Connolly is currently out on loan, he was the reserve team captain for a few seasons and and was very highly rated and looked really good a couple of seasons ago, he has been on the bench a few times aswell in the premiership and was last season against Bolton i think it was.

He seems to have fizzled off, hopefully being on loan at Colchester playing regularly may improve him as a player, i think he wont make it though tbh

Well English talent there is a plenty, most notably Theo Walcott and Justin Hoyte, who i dont need to tell you about.

Then there is Kerrea Gilbert who was on loan at Cardiff last season now at Brighton, he looked really good when he first made his league breakthrough for us when we used 10000 defenders in 1 season, he played in his natural position and looked really really good, thats why i was surprised when RB Sagna came in, at Cardiff he looked impressive in the first half of the season and then 'something' happened behind the scene which made him out of favor, now he has dropped a league, playing well, but again i dont think the breakthrough will be made.

Matthew Connolly has appeared at most levels for England and been good, but the hope around him after his brilliant first seasons seems to have died. On loan at Brighton.

Jay Simpson Highly rated 18 year old, fisrt scorer of a hat-trick at The Grove, looks really good, and is on loan at Milwall. High expectations.

Mark Randall, Henri Lansdsbury, Keiran Gibbs these are all good english kids, seriously, there is alot of good english kids coming through these are the most notable ones.

Was a joke mate. I've heard some great things about your academy regarding English players and Wenger recently said that in 10 years time England will have the best side on earth. If I could pick and choose for my own kid to get a football schooling, Arsenal would be my choice, although I don't think Arsenal will be the best lub for English kids to be giving a chance at, but my they'll be well equipped to do well at another club ala Sidwell and Bentley. Wenger for me should be offered complete control of all English football from a youth development aspect, I'd pay him double what he's getting at Arsenal and make his budget unlimited. Then his quotes about having the best side would be almost guaranteed because his ideas and philosophy is spot on.

Also the likes of Fran Merida and Carlos Vela coming through the ranks. Scary.

They are a bit further down the line. We have been eagerly waiting for the Arsenal "kids" for a good few years now it is really time for them to deliver. I won't discount the talents of Merida and Vela, but we would at least wait a few years for them to mature. It took Fabregas few years to develope from a bright young talent to one of the best in the league, even though he is still only 20. Eboue, Clichy, Diaby, Diarra, Van Persie, Adebayor, da Silva have already shown what they could do at the highest level. Pound for pound I don't think they are any worse than any other top 4 regular but collectively they are still younger and less experienced.

Hence my initial question, how far could they go?

Well out of that lot I can only see Fabregas who's overrated himself becoming world class and Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd all have at least 3 players who are better than him and still young so they'll probably stay in 4th, and what are these values and traditions Wenger's going on about? the fact they've only bought one English player in six years? the fact they're a pack of whinging playacting arseholes?

Well out of that lot I can only see Fabregas who's overrated himself becoming world class and Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd all have at least 3 players who are better than him and still young so they'll probably stay in 4th, and what are these values and traditions Wenger's going on about? the fact they've only bought one English player in six years? the fact they're a pack of whinging playacting arseholes?

Could you please point out the 3 players from Man U and Liverpool whom you think are better than Fabregas? Preferably midfielder cos it is the position Fabregas plays in.

And why traditions and values must be buying English players? It may well be a very noble tradition and value but it is not the only thing which could qualify as tradition and value. And I don't see how Arsenal have whinged and moaned more than other clubs.

Was a joke mate. I've heard some great things about your academy regarding English players and Wenger recently said that in 10 years time England will have the best side on earth. If I could pick and choose for my own kid to get a football schooling, Arsenal would be my choice, although I don't think Arsenal will be the best lub for English kids to be giving a chance at, but my they'll be well equipped to do well at another club ala Sidwell and Bentley. Wenger for me should be offered complete control of all English football from a youth development aspect, I'd pay him double what he's getting at Arsenal and make his budget unlimited. Then his quotes about having the best side would be almost guaranteed because his ideas and philosophy is spot on.

OH right, i've tried to get this over in another thread, although we don't necessarily play these kids regularly for Arsenal (which is a shame), but we develop them and have helped develop alot of the best english young talent in the premier league, Arsene has a very continental style and knows how to help the kids from the earliest age.

And i agree, once Arsene sadly leaves Arsenal  :weep: i would love him to have a overhaul of the English system of youth development.

Admittedly, in the past there were alot, but now?

I really respect your opinion BUT surely you dont mean this and its coming out because of your obvious dislike of the club?

Guest Knightrider

If Fabregas was English, you'd soon realise the true meaning of overrated. Think of Wallcott, Lennon and now Micah Richards - the hype around them. If anything while people wank over those names, Fabregas goes unnoticed in comparison. He's an amazing player, name better at that age and you'd struggle. Underrated more like. Would love him at the Toon. Him and Owen in the same team? Goals and lots of them for our number 10.

Amazing what they achieve considering they are managed by a blind man............. 

and I worry abouut their sports training centre as well - some Arsenal players seem to bulk up very rapidly after arrival

must  be the diet I suppose    -  that French influence

Amazing what they achieve considering they are managed by a blind man.............  

and I worry abouut their sports training centre as well - some Arsenal players seem to bulk up very rapidly after arrival

must  be the diet I suppose     -   that French influence

You suggesting Wenger's trying to make foie gras from the youth team? Outrageous.