For Those who Said last season we needed defenders

NE5

I'm sorry if it upsets you when I point this out but he won't escape criticism from me because it isn't his natural position.

I thought I'd follow your example and edit out most of your post.

It doesn't upset me, Baggio. I really couldn't give a toss, tbh. Just carry on appearing unable to see the attributes of a player, to see the big picture and to recognise what is going on.

I'm not sure why you and others hate Smith so much. It's not as though he was found guilty of smashing up a McDonalds 10 years ago when he was a kid of 18 or something, then cleared of a racist attack a couple of years ago and so is now obviously a worthless pile of shit beyond redemption.....

I'm sorry if it upsets you when I point this out but he won't escape criticism from me because it isn't his natural position.

It doesn't upset me, Baggio. I really couldn't give a toss, tbh. Just carry on appearing unable to see the attributes of a player, to see the big picture and to recognise what is going on.

I'm not sure why you and others hate Smith so much. It's not as though he was found guilty of smashing up a McDonalds 10 years ago when he was a kid of 18 or something, then cleared of a racist attack a couple of years ago and so is now obviously a worthless pile of shit beyond redemption.....

I don't like Smith because he's an average player who offers very little in midfield or attack, to claim people have a personal problem with him because they don't rate him as highly as you do is a rather childish route to go down. I take it you don't like Robbie Keane because he's Irish and you don't like them, is that right?

Your comment about Bowyer is again childish and directed at the wrong person, what players do in their personal life doesn't bother me within reason as long as they do the business on the pitch, I was all for Bowyer signing at the time because I rated him as a player in his Leeds days but I was let down with what he offered us on the pitch, in fact I could count the great performances he put in for us on one hand which wasn't good enough.

So instead of accusing me of having a personal grievance with someone because I don't rate them as a player perhaps you should just take it that not everyone rates them as highly as you do.

True. There' s no connection at all between the signing of Smith and the departures of Dyer and Solano, but perhaps the more baggio says this it'll become true.....

So the day we announced we had accepted a bid for Dyer, Allardyce went on tv and said Dyer's replacement would be unveiled tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith.

Now how are the two not connected?

Players join and players leave.  Dyer would have left if Smith hadn't joined and Smith would have joined if Dyer hadn't left.

The manager can spout whatever he likes to give the media a story but these are not similar players, Smith is not a direct replacement for Dyer. Even if he is...so what? All that means is the manager made the decision to replace one player with a player of a different type whom you happen to detest.  Perhaps the manager is trying to restructure the way the team plays. You shouldn't be making a direct comparison between these players.

In any event, the point is of zero importance to the debate, it's like the one that says bringing in Duff was the reason the club didn't sign a left back, when in fact it's not one or the other, just as it's not Smith for Dyer. Now I don't like FS myself and didn't want him as manager, so I'd be more than happy to call him an arsehole for believing Smith is a similar player to Dyer, but I just don't think FS is that thick.

Smith is really a striker constantly being used out of position. It amazes me that people can't open their minds enough to see this, although I understand that hatred is playing a role here for some. It's thought Smith is versatile and this works against him. What he does have is a very positive attitude, he is so keen to play he will do anything for the team, he gets on with it even if he's not suited to the role. Contrast this with Dyer, who put himself ahead of the club by refusing to play where the manager wanted him to play and then went on to undermine the manager's position because of his mistaken belief he's as good as Scholes in CM. In fact Dyer is a headless chicken with pace.

Everybody knows by now that you hate Smith and that's fine, just stop banging on about it in nearly every thread.

He had a decent game today judged against the rest of the team, he was certainly the best of the daft midfield 3 FS selects when he goes with this ridiculous formation. I doubt you'll see that through your irrational hatred though.

Yes, you're right, it's just irrational hatred from me and Smith has actually played well this season...

Whether he's a striker or not doesn't take away from the fact that he's played the majority of his football over the last 3 years as a midfielder, he appears to have been brought here to play in that position and has been awful in the process, blame Allardyce for that one.

Baggio what would you have said if someone had played Shearer, Ferdinand, Cole etc out of position in midfield ? Would you say they were shit too ?

Or Babayaro at centre forward ?

Smith is a forward. His best position is up front. Plenty of people have castigated Craig Bellamy for trying to say he wanted to play in his best position - a stance I agreed with - and on the other hand you have Smith for being a good pro and prepared to play anywhere the manager wants him to play while other players are missing, which is it with you ?

In actual fact, I have time for both these stances, because I'm basing it on the fact that BOTH these players give total desire to win, and they both have their reasons for their positions. What I really don't like, is little shite arses like Dyer, who has pace to burn and could have been a good player for the club, but a rotten attitude and no concern whatsoever for the club and the supporters, who only bothered his stupid little arse one game in about 6.

I don't usually think its funny when players get injured but when Dyer did his leg in I laughed like hell when somebody said "it'll be a while before he's on the dance floor again"

Give me people like Bellamy and Smith anyday, and Geremi too. It is alright talking about Dyers pace and creativity, but he didn't perform, so if he doesn't produce his pace and creativity, then we didn't get any. There is NO pace and creativity, because he didn't provide any. 

We want some pace and creativity, I agree with you on that I've said so myself and we have agreed on this, but I also don't think Allardyce sees Smith as a replacement for Dyer. He may have insinuated he used the money from the sale of Dyer to buy Smith, but this is a different thing altogether, and one that I find extremely worrying.

True. There' s no connection at all between the signing of Smith and the departures of Dyer and Solano, but perhaps the more baggio says this it'll become true.....

So the day we announced we had accepted a bid for Dyer, Allardyce went on tv and said Dyer's replacement would be unveiled tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith.

Players join and players leave.  Dyer would have left if Smith hadn't joined and Smith would have joined if Dyer hadn't left.

The manager can spout whatever he likes to give the media a story but these are not similar players, Smith is not a direct replacement for Dyer. Even if he is...so what? All that means is the manager made the decision to replace one player with a player of a different type whom you happen to detest.  Perhaps the manager is trying to restructure the way the team plays. You shouldn't be making a direct comparison between these players.

In any event, the point is of zero importance to the debate, it's like the one that says bringing in Duff was the reason the club didn't sign a left back, when in fact it's not one or the other, just as it's not Smith for Dyer. Now I don't like FS myself and didn't want him as manager, so I'd be more than happy to call him an arsehole for believing Smith is a similar player to Dyer, but I just don't think FS is that thick.

Smith is really a striker constantly being used out of position. It amazes me that people can't open their minds enough to see this, although I understand that hatred is playing a role here for some. It's thought Smith is versatile and this works against him. What he does have is a very positive attitude, he is so keen to play he will do anything for the team, he gets on with it even if he's not suited to the role. Contrast this with Dyer, who put himself ahead of the club by refusing to play where the manager wanted him to play and then went on to undermine the manager's position because of his mistaken belief he's as good as Scholes in CM. In fact Dyer is a headless chicken with pace.

Everybody knows by now that you hate Smith and that's fine, just stop banging on about it in nearly every thread.

He had a decent game today judged against the rest of the team, he was certainly the best of the daft midfield 3 FS selects when he goes with this ridiculous formation. I doubt you'll see that through your irrational hatred though.

Yes, you're right, it's just irrational hatred from me and Smith has actually played well this season...

Whether he's a striker or not doesn't take away from the fact that he's played the majority of his football over the last 3 years as a midfielder, he appears to have been brought here to play in that position and has been awful in the process, blame Allardyce for that one.

Baggio what would you have said if someone had played Shearer, Ferdinand, Cole etc out of position in midfield ? Would you say they were shit too ?

Smith is a forward. His best position is up front. Plenty of people have castigated Craig Bellamy for trying to say he wanted to play in his best position - a stance I agreed with - and on the other hand you have Smith for being a good pro and prepared to play anywhere the manager wants him to play while other players are missing, which is it with you ?

In actual fact, I have time for both these stances, because I'm basing it on the fact that BOTH these players give total desire to win, and they both have their reasons for their positions. What I really don't like, is little shite arses like Dyer, who has pace to burn and could have been a good player for the club, but a rotten attitude and no concern whatsoever for the club and the supporters, who only bothered his stupid little arse one game in about 6.

I don't usually think its funny when players get injured but when Dyer did his leg in I laughed like hell when somebody said "it'll be a while before he's on the dance floor again"

Give me people like Bellamy and Smith anyday, and Geremi too. It is alright talking about Dyers pace and creativity, but he didn't perform, so if he doesn't produce his pace and creativity, then we didn't get any. There is NO pace and creativity, because he didn't provide any. 

We want some pace and creativity, I agree with you on that I've said so myself and we have agreed on this, but I also don't think Allardyce sees Smith as a replacement for Dyer. He may have insinuated he used the money from the sale of Dyer to buy Smith, but this is a different thing altogether, and one that I find extremely worrying.

The main difference would be that Cole, Ferdinand and Shearer were top players in their proper position as a striker, unfortunately Smith isn't and has clearly be brought here to play a versatile role which includes midfield, he even appears to be behind Ameobi in the pecking order for the striker positions which tells you where Allardyce see's him playing.

He's been poor so why try and make excuses for him? Perhaps you should show your anger towards Allardyce for signing a player for a position which he's average in rather than moaning at me for stating how poor he is on the pitch.

The main difference would be that Cole, Ferdinand and Shearer were top players in their proper position as a striker, unfortunately Smith isn't and has clearly be brought here to play a versatile role which includes midfield, he even appears to be behind Ameobi in the pecking order for the striker positions which tells you where Allardyce see's him playing.

He's been poor so why try and make excuses for him? Perhaps you should show your anger towards Allardyce for signing a player for a position which he's average in rather than moaning at me for stating how poor he is on the pitch.

I'm not, I'm just wondering if you realise you aren't being really fair to him, IMO anyway.

I would be annoyed with Allardyce if it was he that really decided not to buy forwards when he knew Dyer and Nobby were both on their bikes. He pressed ahead with signing Faye and Beye, I think one of those deals should have been aborted (Faye) in this instance, and moved for a forward instead.

On the other hand, if he isn't responsible, and was told that his money was gone, despite the largely unexpected loss of two forward players, then I wouldn't be very happy with the people who made that particular decision. We don't know who was responsible. It may have been too late to move for a forward, but I find that difficult to accept. I don't really care if people would have called it a "panic" signing - as they did last year re Sib and Rossi but seeing as its now Allardyce/Ashley instead of Roeder/Shepherd, I have a feeling this would not have been the case and people would have accepted it as a need to plug a gap urgently.

It should have been done though.

what people must accept is that Smith has been brought here to play as a midfielder, and refusing to assess him as one is burying your head in the sand. i agree that he is a nothing player in midfield but this is where he will play 95% of the time so we have to judge him on that. as for being a striker, he doesn't exactly score many, the last time he reached double figures in one season was 6/7 years ago.

I'm not sure why you and others hate Smith so much. It's not as though he was found guilty of smashing up a McDonalds 10 years ago when he was a kid of 18 or something, then cleared of a racist attack a couple of years ago and so is now obviously a worthless pile of s*** beyond redemption.....

Don't you think accusations of racism tend to cling to an individual. Ever happened to you? Just curious about the empathy towards Bowyer - a player who contributed two thirds of fuck all whilst getting lots of money. Of course I am sure you will address the points in question. xxxx

They did. And as I said, your chum macbeth said it had been well financed.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2007/09/25/without-takeover-united-could-well-have-folded-72703-19844203/

Mort:

Yes, we were surprised at precisely how bad the financial position was. We didnt fully realise it from the outside, admitted Mort.

If the old board had not been successful in re-financing the club by the end of the financial year it would have folded like a pack of cards.

They were in big trouble because, if you remember, Mike bought United in the May and the clubs financial year was up on June 30.

No doubt this crisis looming on the horizon was one reason why they wanted to sell.

We have addressed the situation, met it head on, which is why Mike initially put in £30m of his own money and has now committed a further £45m to pay off the big debts that had people clamouring at the door.

What we also found was that the club had spent sponsorship money before it actually came in. For example, all the cash from Northern Rock, which should have been paid annually, has already gone (said to be used to help buy Michael Owen at £17m). Money was also borrowed against a deal with adidas.

We prefer to invest as the cash comes in, not before it does

John Gibson:

THE Shepherd family were unavailable for comment this morning.

How many people do you think were "clamouring at the door for 45m quid", and what exactly do you think we should have done with the sponsorship money when we knew it was on the way and we needed players, or we would have been in a relegation fight.  You truly must have loved the McKeag years. As he says, they are doing it a different way, which means we have to watch the current team knowing we need new players and doing nothing, which you say you are happy with.

Nice business, shame about the team. Congratulations.

Lets hope the current board will match the Champions League qualifications that the old one did with their different approach, and we don't suffer any embarrassing cup defeats to teams like Exeter and Oxford, while we wait for next seasons ticket money, sponsorship money to come in, or the sale of a top player to raise cash in January.

:clap:

I've no idea how many people were clamouring for the £45 million, 1 person would be bad enough.

The sponsorship money was spent before it had come into the club, the club spent money before they'd received it, more mismanagement, this time financial mismanagement, something which you criticise past boards for but don't see a problem when Shepherd almost wrecks the club financially.  Mort has said almost the same thing about the previous board that Sir John said when he took over, you have a problem with one situation but not the other while they were almost the same.  You also brag about how the club was able to find a buyer in Mike Ashley, the same could have been said when Sir John took control because he bought the club.

Regarding relegation, it was the fault of those who have since bailed out taking massive profits that we were in that position, a position that we were only in because they were incompetent at running a football club, they may not have been as incompetent as some others but that doesn't make them any better than they actually were.

what people must accept is that Smith has been brought here to play as a midfielder, and refusing to assess him as one is burying your head in the sand. i agree that he is a nothing player in midfield but this is where he will play 95% of the time so we have to judge him on that. as for being a striker, he doesn't exactly score many, the last time he reached double figures in one season was 6/7 years ago.

I don't agree its burying your head in the sand johnny. What you say may well be a valid point though, and if it turns out to be the case then it is a mistake of Allardyce's to buy him with that intention. Smith has said that he was told "he would be played in various positions". In my opinion, he should be considered a forward, and definitely played up front if Viduka is out instead of Ameobi, and should be judged as Viduka's stand in. When he's played for England he's played up front.

That is what I would do, but I'm not Allardyce.

They did. And as I said, your chum macbeth said it had been well financed.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2007/09/25/without-takeover-united-could-well-have-folded-72703-19844203/

Mort:

“Yes, we were surprised at precisely how bad the financial position was. We didn’t fully realise it from the outside,” admitted Mort.

“If the old board had not been successful in re-financing the club by the end of the financial year it would have folded like a pack of cards.

“They were in big trouble because, if you remember, Mike bought United in the May and the club’s financial year was up on June 30.

“No doubt this crisis looming on the horizon was one reason why they wanted to sell.

“We have addressed the situation, met it head on, which is why Mike initially put in £30m of his own money and has now committed a further £45m to pay off the big debts that had people clamouring at the door.

“What we also found was that the club had spent sponsorship money before it actually came in. For example, all the cash from Northern Rock, which should have been paid annually, has already gone (said to be used to help buy Michael Owen at £17m). Money was also borrowed against a deal with adidas.

“We prefer to invest as the cash comes in, not before it does

John Gibson:

THE Shepherd family were unavailable for comment this morning.

How many people do you think were "clamouring at the door for 45m quid", and what exactly do you think we should have done with the sponsorship money when we knew it was on the way and we needed players, or we would have been in a relegation fight.  You truly must have loved the McKeag years. As he says, they are doing it a different way, which means we have to watch the current team knowing we need new players and doing nothing, which you say you are happy with.

Nice business, shame about the team. Congratulations.

Lets hope the current board will match the Champions League qualifications that the old one did with their different approach, and we don't suffer any embarrassing cup defeats to teams like Exeter and Oxford, while we wait for next seasons ticket money, sponsorship money to come in, or the sale of a top player to raise cash in January.

:clap:

I've no idea how many people were clamouring for the £45 million, 1 person would be bad enough.

quite unbelievable. You will take in anything thats anti Shepherd won't you  mackems.gif mackems.gif

He must have really hurt your feelings, obviously far more than watching an embarrassing team for decades ....  :clap:

The sponsorship money was spent before it had come into the club, the club spent money before they'd received it, more mismanagement, this time financial mismanagement, something which you criticise past boards for but don't see a problem when Shepherd almost wrecks the club financially.  Mort has said almost the same thing about the previous board that Sir John said when he took over, you have a problem with one situation but not the other while they were almost the same.  You also brag about how the club was able to find a buyer in Mike Ashley, the same could have been said when Sir John took control because he bought the club.

Sir John Hall was a geordie, he had a sort of infinity with Newcastle, in case you aren't aware of this. You should have been though, as he harped on about "Geordie Nation" bollocks, the same as Shepherd did, but for some reason it was different, probably because it was Hall Snr Hall Jnr, Shepherd, and Fletchers idea to find the manager who did brilliantly on the pitch.

Regarding relegation, it was the fault of those who have since bailed out taking massive profits that we were in that position, a position that we were only in because they were incompetent at running a football club, they may not have been as incompetent as some others but that doesn't make them any better than they actually were.

rubbish. A couple of million quid a year, put against the amount managers had anyway, is nothing.

Are you looking forward to the new regime matching these champions league qualifications without speculating to buy trophy players  mackems.gif mackems.gif

what people must accept is that Smith has been brought here to play as a midfielder, and refusing to assess him as one is burying your head in the sand.

Well said. O0

Personally I thought he was adequate today. The circus behind him and nonsense ahead of him offers very little opportunity for our midfield 3. They certainly dont need to aim for fellas who can't run or fail to trap a ball 5 times out of ten (made up stat but the point prevails).Nb:there is something inadequate about being adequate....

quite unbelievable. You will take in anything thats anti Shepherd won't you  mackems.gif mackems.gif

He must have really hurt your feelings, obviously far more than watching an embarrassing team for decades ....  :clap:

Sir John Hall was a geordie, he had a sort of infinity with Newcastle, in case you aren't aware of this. You should have been though, as he harped on about "Geordie Nation" bollocks, the same as Shepherd did, but for some reason it was different, probably because it was Hall Snr Hall Jnr, Shepherd, and Fletchers idea to have a manager who did well on the pitch.

rubbish. A couple of million quid a year, put against the amount managers had anyway, is nothing.

Are you looking forward to the new regime matching these champions league qualifications without speculating to buy trophy players  mackems.gif mackems.gif

Edit.

Sorry, I missed the first bit, it's not the number of people after the money, it's the amount of money they are after.

The last two times the club has been sold it's been bought  :idiot2:, both times the new people have accused the old of leaving the club in a financial mess, what's the difference between the two?

I wasn't on about the couple of million a year alone, I think you may have forgot about the £30 to £40 million they took for the shares they also sold.

The new owner has speculated on new players, he's spent more net than the club did the year before, Allardyce has had in the region of £10 million net, that's on top of the £75 million spent to rescue the financial mess you're idol left behind.  That net spend is only beaten under the previous chairman by what was given to Dalglish and Souness.  Kenny Dalglish - 1 year, £15.65m.  Ruud Gullit - 1 year, £7.625m.  Sir Bobby Robson - 5 years, £5.947m.  Graeme Souness - 1 year, £30.9m.  Glenn Roeder - 1 year, £7.64m.  If you want to pick at Bobbys spend, multiply it by 5 for total net spend.

What a misleading first post trying to blackmail the people who said we needed defenders.

We needed defenders, and we got our defenders. But who opposed to the signing of flair players after the defense was reinforced?

The first poster is bitter and has hidden agenda, that's why.

Sir John Hall was a geordie, he had a sort of infinity with Newcastle, in case you aren't aware of this. You should have been though, as he harped on about "Geordie Nation" bollocks, the same as Shepherd did, but for some reason it was different, probably because it was Hall Snr Hall Jnr, Shepherd, and Fletchers idea to have a manager who did well on the pitch.

The last two times the club has been sold it's been bought  :idiot2:, both times the new people have accused the old of leaving the club in a financial mess, what's the difference between the two?

I wasn't on about the couple of million a year alone, I think you may have forgot about the £30 to £40 million they took for the shares they also sold.

The new owner has speculated on new players, he's spent more net than the club did the year before, Allardyce has had in the region of £10 million net, that's on top of the £75 million spent to rescue the financial mess you're idol left behind.  That net spend is only beaten under the previous chairman by what was given to Dalglish and Souness.  Kenny Dalglish - 1 year, £15.65m.  Ruud Gullit - 1 year, £7.625m.  Sir Bobby Robson - 5 years, £5.947m.  Graeme Souness - 1 year, £30.9m.  Glenn Roeder - 1 year, £7.64m.  If you want to pick at Bobbys spend, multiply it by 5 for total net spend.

You want the club to be "a business" then complain when the shareholders take out divis ? What a joke you are.

I was talking about the shares too, you've been wasting too much time with macbeths shite and agenda. A couple of million a year would have made no difference at all hardly to how this club has performed. ALL the managers have had enough money to be successful. That is how we have had teams put together that reached Cup Finals and qualified for the Champions League. what a joke you are - again, for not being prepared to accept this.

As for net spend, I really couldn't give a toss. The simple fact is that this summer our sales out more or less equals our sales in.

Those figures you quoted, they are hardly the figures of a club not backing managers are they, where an extra couple of million would make a difference ?

I suppose the answer to this will be yes because Shepherd was chairman. Laughable.  mackems.gif

It is very nice that the old board were finally able to set about improving the stadium and training facilities, which your idols didn't bother doing for over 40 years, until they finally managed to be proud of the fact that they were building a stand like Watfords, while selling our best players to get the money.

Laughable. Again.

mackems.gif

What a misleading first post trying to blackmail the people who said we needed defenders.

We needed defenders, and we got our defenders. But who opposed to the signing of flair players after the defense was reinforced?

The first poster is bitter and has hidden agenda, that's why.

Still blinded by the smog I see.

BTW, it's "defence", not "defense". You've been watching too many American films and Americanised books instead of brushing up on your knowledge of Newcastle United.

So Smoggie or American am I?

Or American Smoggie? Or Smoggie American?

I don't particularly care. Either way,  I don't think I've ever seen you make a post where you demonstrate any knowledge of the club.

Sir John Hall was a geordie, he had a sort of infinity with Newcastle, in case you aren't aware of this.

Don't you mean 'affinity'?

I was going to let this go but you've already started criticising people for their spelling when you are typing posts of this calibre O0

The defence seem's to be to be under more pressure due to the just general shitness of the midfield. I can't remember a time where our midfield has been so poor and unbalanced. I mean who does what?

Spot on, they can't hold onto the ball and pass it around. Smith and Butt are so bad i can't put it into words. We need an Elano desperately.

Butt hasn't performed well this season. but(excuse the pun).I think he carries the burden of the team on his

back.

Sir John Hall was a geordie, he had a sort of infinity with Newcastle, in case you aren't aware of this.

Don't you mean 'affinity'?

I was going to let this go but you've already started criticising people for their spelling when you are typing posts of this calibre O0

yes, I did. My mistake, I can accept that.

Genuine mistake though, not one of a sad Americanised kind.

You want the club to be "a business" then complain when the shareholders take out divis ? What a joke you are.

I was talking about the shares too, you've been wasting too much time with macbeths s**** and agenda. A couple of million a year would have made no difference at all hardly to how this club has performed. ALL the managers have had enough money to be successful. That is how we have had teams put together that reached Cup Finals and qualified for the Champions League. what a joke you are - again, for not being prepared to accept this.

As for net spend, I really couldn't give a toss. The simple fact is that this summer our sales out more or less equals our sales in.

Those figures you quoted, they are hardly the figures of a club not backing managers are they, where an extra couple of million would make a difference ?

I suppose the answer to this will be yes because Shepherd was chairman. Laughable.  mackems.gif

It is very nice that the old board were finally able to set about improving the stadium and training facilities, which your idols didn't bother doing for over 40 years, until they finally managed to be proud of the fact that they were building a stand like Watfords, while selling our best players to get the money.

Laughable. Again.

mackems.gif

I couldn't care less if the club is run like a business or not, I want a club which is a success and run professionally both on and off the field.

How can you say “The simple fact is that this summer our sales out more or less equals our sales in?”  Allardyce has spent £25 million and only brought in £15 million, that’s a difference of £10 million.  How can you say the two figures are virtually the same?

Also, if you were happy with past spending figures then you must be more than happy that we’ve just spent more than we usually do.

As for my idols as you so originally put it and training facilities, did Allardyce have a go at our training facilities?