For Those who Said last season we needed defenders

NE5

There is no doubt that Beye and Rozenhal are good players and have improved the defence

but

are we any better ? We STILL need more pace and creativity up front and in midfield, if we are going to do much better than last year.

Because without it, we are going nowhere, and by the time January comes, the season is half over.

Man City have bought EXACTLY the type of players that we needed, the type of players who would have made the biggest difference.

Agreed.

I still don't understand why we only bought defensive players in the summer.

I've been saying this since August.

But the it will be alright SA is rebuilding it will take 60 million years hold sway on this board. :cheesy:

You were for the Smith signing before you even try and take the high ground.

We are still awaiting N'Zogbia and Barton to really play in midfield. Won't take "60 millions years" but how about we wait until our best team is fit before judging hey?

We woudn't be waiting for anybody if we had bought one or two alternatives.

...and I'll judge when I fucking like alright?

If we went for Elano (or similar) instead of Smith would we be a better team? You can go away and think about that one sweety xxx

There is no doubt that Beye and Rozenhal are good players and have improved the defence

but

are we any better ? We STILL need more pace and creativity up front and in midfield, if we are going to do much better than last year.

Because without it, we are going nowhere, and by the time January comes, the season is half over.

Man City have bought EXACTLY the type of players that we needed, the type of players who would have made the biggest difference.

Agreed.

But the it will be alright SA is rebuilding it will take 60 million years hold sway on this board. :cheesy:

We are still awaiting N'Zogbia and Barton to really play in midfield. Won't take "60 millions years" but how about we wait until our best team is fit before judging hey?

Ah, you were one who insisted we needed defenders and not forwards weren't you jon ?

i said we really could have done with a left back instead of Duff, do you disagree?

I think you said something like all we needed was a left back to transform the team.

You also said we didn't need forwards, but defenders, so I hope you are right and Enrique totally transforms the attacking and defensive aspect of the team.

We need one top class playmaker, no doubt.

The positive for me is that we're laying good foundations. This season the defence should develop into a unit and get an understanding of each other, attack minded players work more on instinct so they'll gel easier.

By next summer I think we'll be one top class playmaker and one very good striker away from being able to be a very formidable team.

The real test will be whether Allardyce gets the right players and is willing to sacrifice a bit of functionality for some real flair.

I agree, but another real test is will they allow him to buy them, a couple of these "trophy players" are needed I would say.

The new owners are wonderful though, haven't you heard? :razz:

I would hope people will be a lot more patient than they were under Souness and Roeder though, because tbh I see us being a fairly mediocre team at times this year. But at least I feel this guy has a plan for the long-term.

It will be very interesting to se our team this time next year.

I certainly don't want us to get rid of Sam, unless Wenger suddenly leaves Arsenal for instance. I also hope he sees what is needed, finds the right players, and the board back him.

At least now, even the blindest fool can see what we need the most.

but

Agreed.

Ah, you were one who insisted we needed defenders and not forwards weren't you jon ?

i said we really could have done with a left back instead of Duff, do you disagree?

I think you said something like all we needed was a left back to transform the team.

You also said we didn't need forwards, but defenders, so I hope you are right and Enrique totally transforms the attacking and defensive aspect of the team.

Our best winger playing in his natural postion rather than in defence, would we look better?

You are really making yourself look like a bit of a tit with this one, well done :lol:

but

Agreed.

But we don't need a forward, on paper we've got one of the best groups of strikers in the league.

Unless you're talking about midfield players now which wasn't your point at the time.

The positive for me is that we're laying good foundations. This season the defence should develop into a unit and get an understanding of each other, attack minded players work more on instinct so they'll gel easier.

By next summer I think we'll be one top class playmaker and one very good striker away from being able to be a very formidable team.

The real test will be whether Allardyce gets the right players and is willing to sacrifice a bit of functionality for some real flair.

I agree, but another real test is will they allow him to buy them, a couple of these "trophy players" are needed I would say.

I would hope people will be a lot more patient than they were under Souness and Roeder though, because tbh I see us being a fairly mediocre team at times this year. But at least I feel this guy has a plan for the long-term.

I certainly don't want us to get rid of Sam, unless Wenger suddenly leaves Arsenal for instance. I also hope he sees what is needed, finds the right players, and the board back him.

Yet Allardyce can't...

Guest sittingontheball

The reason why we don't look any better is because we don't play to our strengths. Simple as.

Zog is mint going forward - so we hoy him at LB and leave our new 6mill LB on the bench.

Viduka needs crosses - so we play 3 in CM.

When we need to attack - we bring on a DM...

What he said. Esp. 1 and 2. 2 was the difference last week.

Its also true that we need a playmaking center mid. We need some positive contribution from Smith, or to drop him and rejig the team.

but

Agreed.

Is Parky pissed?

Last season? What difference would it have made who or what we needed?

Your mate Fred would've just signed who he liked anyway, wouldn't he?

;D

aye, righto. I'm sure Graeme Souness will admit that he is a yes man  mackems.gif

He is many things, but a yes man he isn't

Guest firetotheworks

but

I dont think Man City bought the players we needed, they already had the defenders that we needed. Despite being shite in front of goal last season they were defensively sound, we werent. We have strengthened where we needed to in order to have a steady foundation, now we need to crack on in January and get the types of players that they bought in the summer. Someone in the Elano mould. I still think things will look different with Barton back aswell mind.

Yet Allardyce can't...

whats his username  ;D

but

Agreed.

Our best winger playing in his natural postion rather than in defence, would we look better?

You are really making yourself look like a bit of a tit with this one, well done :lol:

NE5, where are you.....? :lol:

You are a joke :lol:

but

Agreed.

But we don't need a forward, on paper we've got one of the best groups of strikers in the league.

Unless you're talking about midfield players now which wasn't your point at the time.

I think we do. I don't count Ameobi, Owen isn't committed to Newcastle whatever he says or doesn't say. I saw the comments about Martins in the thread about the game and I still think that he lacks the basics, scoring the close in goals and making good decisions is what makes the top players the top players they are. An odd spectacular goal doesn't really change that. He has things going for him, but he lacks that.

I don't know what he would be like in a good side with better players. See when he should have pulled the ball across goal for Viduka ? Good players see these things, it isn't a one off, he does this sort of things often, he can't lift his head up and look.

Don't get me wrong, he's worth a canny fee, but I just don't know if I would buy him myself or not if I was a manager. I would swap him for Craig Bellamy anyday, or Louis Saha to name another, I'm not really bothered if they scores a few goals less, players like these make good decisions, they create opportunities for others and have a much bigger impact on the overall effectiveness of the team. 

They would both be better partners for Viduka, and bear in mind that Viduka is knocking on 30 himself, which makes him very much short term.

I said last season we needed a forward/striker and an attacking midfield to step straight into the team. At least one each. More as backup.

but

Agreed.

Is Parky pissed?

I like it when Parky "ohh the lights are leading me through life I am one step away from Scientology" gets the hump  :laugh:

Guest bluegeordie

The defence seem's to be to be under more pressure due to the just general shitness of the midfield. I can't remember a time where our midfield has been so poor and unbalanced. I mean who does what?

I agree completely, and it obviosuly makes us look worse at both ends of the pitch than we actually are (or at least have the potential to be). To this end, I think / hope that we'll be a much better proposition when 1) Barton is available; 2) The Bull's fitness levels allow Zoggy to be moved up from left back to left midfield; and 3) Milner is played on the right. I even think that a fully fit Emre could make a significant difference, and that he may well have done had he played against Derby, or for a longer stint today against Man City. Virtually no creativity in midfield - apart from an overly predictable, and often no-end-product, Milner - simply isn't going to take us where we want to go.

No matter who is available from our current squad, however, the signing of a Deco or a Riquelme in January would be a more than welcome addition to the squad.         

but

Agreed.

I think we do. I don't count Ameobi, Owen isn't committed to Newcastle whatever he says or doesn't say. I saw the comments about Martins in the thread about the game and I still think that he lacks the basics, scoring the close in goals and making good decisions is what makes the top players the top players they are. An odd spectacular goal doesn't really change that. He has things going for him, but he lacks that.

I don't know what he would be like in a good side with better players. See when he should have pulled the ball across goal for Viduka ? Good players see these things, it isn't a one off, he does this sort of things often, he can't lift his head up and look.

Don't get me wrong, he's worth a canny fee, but I just don't know if I would buy him myself or not if I was a manager. I would swap him for Craig Bellamy anyday, or Louis Saha to name another, I'm not really bothered if they scores a few goals less, players like these make good decisions, they create opportunities for others and have a much big impact on the overall effectiveness of the team. 

They would both be better partners for Viduka, and bear in mind that Viduka is knocking on 30 himself, which makes him very much short term.

I said last season we needed a forward/striker and an attacking midfield to step straight into the team. At least one each. More as backup.

Actually NE5 I seem to remember you saying you wanted a new striker who can hold the ball up, we went out and signed Viduka who's probably the best hold up man in the Premiership so you should be happy with that.

It's also a bit late claiming that Owen isn't committed to us now the transfer windows closed.

The fact is it doesn't matter who you've got up front if you've got a midfield that contains Smith, Geremi and Butt, these players will create very little and struggle with the simplest passing game.

but

Agreed.

Errr.......as someone who has championed zoggy since the first time I saw him play.......

I still don't see your point. Zoggy further forward would have a big impact, but we still need more, we need a central player and one more striker. We have bought defenders, and still need the same as last year. Whats more, we won't qualify for europe or get near it, despite buying the defenders that people like you said we needed. If we had bought more attacking players, we would be doing better.

but

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, he's worth a canny fee, but I just don't know if I would buy him myself or not if I was a manager. I would swap him for Craig Bellamy anyday, or Louis Saha to name another, I'm not really bothered if they scores a few goals less, players like these make good decisions, they create opportunities for others and have a much big impact on the overall effectiveness of the team. 

Actually NE5 I seem to remember you saying you wanted a new striker who can hold the ball up, we went out and signed Viduka who's probably the best hold up man in the Premiership so you should be happy with that.

It's also a bit late claiming that Owen isn't committed to us now the transfer windows closed.

The fact is it doesn't matter who you've got up front if you've got a midfield that contains Smith, Geremi and Butt, these players will create very little and struggle with the simplest passing game.

That is correct. I said we needed this, and also that I wasn't convinced abuot Martins or Owens committment to the club, never mind his fitness. Pretty much the same as above, in fact.

I said ages ago that we should get Owen to extend his contract, or look to sell.

but

Agreed.

Errr.......as someone who has championed zoggy since the first time I saw him play.......

I still don't see your point. Zoggy further forward would have a big impact, but we still need more, we need a central player and one more striker. We have bought defenders, and still need the same as last year. Whats more, we won't qualify for europe or get near it, despite buying the defenders that people like you said we needed. If we had bought more attacking players, we would be doing better.

I wanted a left back, our left winger is playing left back because we wont have one settled.

You go and work it out genius ;)

but

I agree that we need to do something with our midfield, we've no creativity, our forwards are good enough.

NE5 if we were left with Carr, Ramage, Taylor, Babayaro, Edgar woudl you be happy?

Id be happy with Taylor and Edgar. I think the proof is in the performances so far. We needed forwards and attackers last season to do significantly better. We still need exactly the same.

You're a joke. Defending from the front, and having players that can do it, is kids stuff.

So then NE5 we made a mistake by not buying forwards but the people to blame are the people who post on this forum rather than the manager you wanted?

I don't know. Maybe he's only bought what he could with the money he had. Most people on here will be pleased we didn't buy any more of these "trophy" players