Alan Smith

Dave

Smith is a good squad player who will do a reasonable job for the club, especially up front which is without doubt his best position and where he needs to be used if he is to be used more often than not. He won't score you 20 goals but he'll get a few and help others to get on the scoresheet. He's similar to Bellamy but without the pace or directness of the Welshman. He'll harass, press and bully, play for the team and get kicked for the team, while holding the ball up, competing in the air and linking up with team-mates intelligently because as a forward he's a thoughtful striker.

Regarding his individual performances I think people may need to look beyond those and see him more as a team player and what he brings to the team in other ways. I thought he had a goodish game at the weekend but nothing outstanding. His presence up top helped the team no end though and benefited others and that's perhaps going to be more important than single individual performances from Smith himself.

We often forget all about the dressing room and off the pitch too, but what happens behind closed doors and the spirit and character of the players off the pitch will often determine what happens on it and in Smith we have a top professional with a great character and attitude to rub off on others. In short he's not a bad player to have around the place on and off the pitch.

£6m was a lot of money and there is no doubt we could have bought a much better player for that price but that's perhaps a too simplistic way of looking at things, i.e. good player = improved team. Doesn't always work like that.

When Sam took over the dressing room was at war with itself, unhappy players right left and centre and he needed to chip away at that to improve it, if bringing in players like Smith even at such a fee goes someway to eradicating such problems then for me it is money well spent.

His versatility has already came in handy and will continue to do so throughout the season and remainder of his time here and on that note, in time we will strengthen further positions and players like Smith will not be first-team players as he has been thus far. He'll be a squad player and good one at that.

I share your sentiment. It's a far too simplistic to say " smiths average and not worth 6m", there is so much more to it, as you have pointed out.

I always maintained this board would come to its senses reg Smith as the season went on.

That's because the majority of this board are like sheep who change their opinions more often than they change their pants, Smith is an average player and isn't worth £6 million and by trying to excuse that by saying he's a good lad in the dressing room when none of us know that is looking for excuses, people should try going to games and seeing how bad he's been for us.

If anything people are excepting him because he's here now so they may as well get used to it.

Its because for some of us, the £6million fee is in the past, and performances on the pitch are what sticks in the mind more than anything. Thats certainly the case for me - when we were first in for Smith, I was livid that we were spending that much on him, but thats changed now.

The £6million fee itself was obviously excessive for Smith, when you consider someone like Elano cost the same, or a proven international and CL goalscorer like Eduardo only a million or two more. Hes not got anywhere near the talent or ability of players like that, and hasnt got the potential to be a better player than he is today - but everyone knows that the asking price for domestic/English players is almost always higher than their foreign equivalents, its something Wenger bemoans whenever hes asked about his transfer policies.

Allardyce wasnt in the position to gamble at the start of his Newcastle reign, and hence Smith is about as small a gamble as he could have realistically landed - a competent midfielder and forward with high work rate, not injury prone, an established domestic player with no issues surrounding culture shocks, settling, etc.

At the moment, im pleased that we have someone like Smith playing for us as opposed to having to field someone like Pattison or Ameobi, or alternatively a flop from abroad ala Andreas Andersson or Guiv'arch. For £6million, we could have done better certainly, but we could easily have done alot worse too - noone knows how many points we might secure due to avoiding signings like Luque, crocks like Cort, or having to field Pattison/Ameobi/etc.

Which just highlights the point I've made perfectly.

Also saying he's a competent midfielder is bottom of the barrel stuff, I've seen Ameobi have a better game for us on the left than Smith has had for us in midfield/on the right which is saying something, he's a dreadful midfielder.

£6 million wasted on an awful midfielder and a 4th choice striker at best, I suppose this is what you get when the manager tries to play it safe.

4th choice striker at least surely?

He's closer to Ameobi in terms of ability than Martins, Viduka or Owen tbh.

Absolute bollocks tbh.

Absolute bollocks tbh.

Please elaborate.

He thinks your talking shit?  :dontknow:

Obviously, I want to know who he thinks Smith is as good as, Martins? Viduka?

He's not in the class of either of those two, not even close, he's a striker who works hard but doesn't score goals.

I can't agree with you, Baggio, that Smith is shit up front. As HTT says, he isn't a prolific goalscorer but he's a good front player, he is a genuine team player, and will bring good spirit and character to the dressing room - which we needed badly if you look back at the players we had last year - and he will do a lot more in away games than a lot of players. Away games get you 3 points just the same as home games.

And he is MILES and MILES better than Ameobi.

And people are still overrating Martins. Some of his misses are shocking, he lacks composure, and scoring the odd spectacular goal simply doesn't make up for missing so many easy chances.

The best strikers score the goals close to goal, that is what makes them the best strikers.

I can't agree with you, Baggio, that Smith is shit up front. As HTT says, he isn't a prolific goalscorer but he's a good front player, he is a genuine team player, and will bring good spirit and character to the dressing room - which we needed badly if you look back at the players we had last year - and he will do a lot more in away games than a lot of players. Away games get you 3 points just the same as home games.

And people are still overrating Martins. Some of his misses are shocking, he lacks composure, and scoring the odd spectacular goal simply doesn't make up for missing so many easy chances.

The best strikers score the goals close to goal, that is what makes them the best strikers.

Oh please, Martins is a far better striker than Smith, you talk about his missing chances yet are talking up a player who has only managed 3 goals in nearly 100 games, you've even said it yourself that the best strikers are the one's that score goals close up, how do you rate a striker that doesn't score at all?

The difference for me is how you go about rating a striker, people are happy to knock Martins because they compare him to Owen and he's never going to be as good as him, yet who do they compare Smith to? How highly would he be rated if he was to be compared to Owen? The same high standards are not expected from Smith, it seems being better than Ameobi and how he performs in midfield is good enough for some people.

I also don't recall saying he's shit up front, he's a shit midfielder without doubt but he's an average striker.

Absolute bollocks tbh.

Please elaborate.

He's streets ahead of Ameobi. He offers something the other three don't in terms of his workrate and ability to harry defenders. He is good with his back to goal / holding up play / playing others in and he has a good physical presence. He lacks the class of Owen and Viduka and I've always conceded he doesn't score enough despite rating him. I think overall, he's a currently a better player than Martins too although he is a different type of player. I think he's unique in our forwards in that he can form a decent partnership with the others (excepting Ameobi perhaps, for obvious reasons). This isn't just because of Sunday either, I've always rated him. Upfront that is.

Oh please, Martins is a far better striker than Smith, you talk about his missing chances yet are talking up a player who has only managed 3 goals in nearly 100 games, you've even said it yourself that the best strikers are the one's that score goals close up, how do you rate a striker that doesn't score at all?

The difference for me is how you go about rating a striker, people are happy to knock Martins because they compare him to Owen and he's never going to be as good as him, yet who do they compare Smith to? How highly would he be rated if he was to be compared to Owen? The same high standards are not expected from Smith, it seems being better than Ameobi and how he performs in midfield is good enough for some people.

I also don't recall saying he's shit up front, he's a shit midfielder without doubt but he's an average striker.

Smith is more of a team player, he will do more in away games, and he will do more when the chips are down. This counts for something, I know you must realise that. In fact, it counts for a lot.

I doubt that Smith has played anywhere near those 100 games up front.

I'm not comparing Martins to Owen, that wouldn't be fair, Owen is one of the best in the world, and yet, I would sell him now for the right fee or a good fee while we can get it. Thats not a reflection on him, obviuosly, but indicative of how I feel he sees his future at the club and the fact he will be a free agent soon, and his injury record.

I would be very pleased if Owen signed a new contract, and i think he owes that to us, but I doubt he will.

Alex has touched a good point where he mentions partnerships. These are important, its not always the best individual skills that make the best player, but Smith alongside a prolific goalscorer would be a great partner for such a player.

Smith is to Newcastle as Robbie Savage is to Blackburn.  They both have a physical presence on the pitch and command respect.  Show a lack of it and you'll get crunched with a fucking tackle.  The great part about Smith is that he's a better scorer than Savage. 

Smith is more of a team player, he will do more in away games, and he will do more when the chips are down. This counts for something, I know you must realise that. In fact, it counts for a lot.

I'm not comparing Martins to Owen, that wouldn't be fair, Owen is one of the best in the world, and yet, I would sell him now for the right fee or a good fee while we can get it. Thats not a reflection on him, obviuosly, but indicative of how I feel he sees his future at the club and the fact he will be a free agent soon, and his injury record.

I would be very pleased if Owen signed a new contract, and i think he owes that to us, but I doubt he will.

I don't think he would offer more in an away game at all, you say away wins get you 3 points which is true however goals get you wins and a striker that doesn't score them isn't going to win you many, Martins on the other hand is probably our best striker away from home in that he's the one player capable of hitting teams on the break, which is probably the reason that all of his league goals have come away from home this season.

Of course all of those 100 games Smith hasn't been playing up front, however that statistic would be bad for a midfielder let alone a striker.

As I've said, Martins problem is people rate him against Owen, where as Smith is rated against either Ameobi or how he's been playing in midfield lately, expectations of him are low in the same way they were on Sibierski last season, I seem to remember Martins getting a harder time than him last season even though he was the far superior striker.

I can't agree with you, Baggio, that Smith is s*** up front. As HTT says, he isn't a prolific goalscorer but he's a good front player, he is a genuine team player, and will bring good spirit and character to the dressing room - which we needed badly if you look back at the players we had last year - and he will do a lot more in away games than a lot of players. Away games get you 3 points just the same as home games.

I also don't recall saying he's s*** up front, he's a s*** midfielder without doubt but he's an average striker.

I don't think he would offer more in an away game at all, you say away wins get you 3 points which is true however goals get you wins and a striker that doesn't score them isn't going to win you many, Martins on the other hand is probably our best striker away from home in that he's the one player capable of hitting teams on the break, which is probably the reason that all of his league goals have come away from home this season.

Of course all of those 100 games Smith hasn't been playing up front, however that statistic would be bad for a midfielder let alone a striker.

As I've said, Martins problem is people rate him against Owen, where as Smith is rated against either Ameobi or how he's been playing in midfield lately, expectations of him are low in the same way they were on Sibierski last season, I seem to remember Martins getting a harder time than him last season even though he was the far superior striker.

Hmmm.....  kinda like the lad in your avatar? 

Guest Knightrider

I'm not going to use his transfer fee to judge him as a player or rather as a valuable (or not) squad player because fees for English players never represent the true value of the player. No, I will judge him on impact and so far with him in the team we're 2 points off 4th spot or something so he's doing something right or rather adding something to the team and that is all I really care about or ask for and not how many man of the match awards a player picks up, how many passes he makes or even how many goals he scores.

Smith's qualities as I see them:

Versatile

Good character

Professional

Good age

Good squad player

Experienced

Not injury prone

Committed

Good technique

Good partner for either of Viduka, Martins or Owen

These are things I value in a player and more so in a team and are the very things our squad lacked prior to Sam Allardyce's appointment and the very things that needed injected into this developing team to give it a kick-start in order to allow the team to grow.

Sure I'd have loved us to sign a top-class player instead of Smith but you rarely get them for £6m and I don't know how else Big Sam could have spent that money without forsaking many of the qualities I've listed above least of all fill a few glaring gaps within the squad structure such as midfield and attack which Smith does fill.

Of all the money spent this season on English players in the Premiership I'm prepared to claim here and now that Smith will prove money well spent compared to most. Dyer at £8m? Parker the same? Bent £17m?

Alex has touched a good point where he mentions partnerships. These are important, its not always the best individual skills that make the best player, but Smith alongside a prolific goalscorer would be a great partner for such a player.

Its not even about partnerships. The entire team played better with Smith dropping off and linkup up intelligently, as opposed to tussling with defenders (Viduka) or displaying clown like touches (Martins, Ameobi). Ball retention was higher, there were more team attacking moves, simply because we werent losing the ball as soon as it was played forward, and we looked a better unit all round as a result.

I can't agree with you, Baggio, that Smith is s*** up front. As HTT says, he isn't a prolific goalscorer but he's a good front player, he is a genuine team player, and will bring good spirit and character to the dressing room - which we needed badly if you look back at the players we had last year - and he will do a lot more in away games than a lot of players. Away games get you 3 points just the same as home games.

I also don't recall saying he's s*** up front, he's a s*** midfielder without doubt but he's an average striker.

Emre is a far better midfielder than Smith tbh, not even close.

Guest Knightrider

I know it's a side issue and not really relevant to the Smith debate but Baggio makes some good points about Martins who does come in for some incredible flack at times despite being arguably our most potent and valuable player, or rather attacker, in that he scores goals, he creates them and he is rarely injured which can't be said for anyone else in attack here at the club. Over the course of a season I'd pin my badge on Martins to score the goals to pick us up points more than anyone at the club, including the fragile Owen and Viduka who are of course, better players as individuals. I'd rather have Martins up front than Smith though despite the Nigerian lacking some of the qualities I listed in Smith, simply because of the goals factor. But as a partnership, I think maybe Smith and Martins is the way forward if we can't rely on Owen and Viduka to play every week.

Guest Knightrider

Its not even about partnerships. The entire team played better with Smith dropping off and linkup up intelligently, as opposed to tussling with defenders (Viduka) or displaying clown like touches (Martins, Ameobi). Ball retention was higher, there were more team attacking moves, simply because we werent losing the ball as soon as it was played forward, and we looked a better unit all round as a result.

Smith's general game is very underrated in my opinion (as a forward), he has superb technique and a good footballing brain for such a limited player in terms of positionally sniffing out chances and striking prowesses which he is quite average at to say the least. Imagine Smith with Owen's finishing and movement, Viduka's creativity or skills and Martins' pace and athleticism, I think you might just have the complete striker.

I like Emre as well and agree that he's a better midfielder (not far better), but you've been shit talking Smith for quite some time yet Emre hasn't done much for us in midfield either, has he?  A cracking goal against the scum and 2 more against Everton and Reading. 

I'm just trying to illustrate that Smith isn't as bad as you're making him out to be when there are other players who need to step up as well.

Smith's general game is very underrated in my opinion (as a forward), he has superb technique and a good footballing brain for such a limited player in terms of positionally sniffing out chances and striking prowesses which he is quite average at to say the least. Imagine Smith with Owen's finishing and movement, Viduka's creativity or skills and Martins' pace and athleticism, I think you might just have the complete striker.

Sounds like Shearer in his prime. 

I like Emre as well and agree that he's a better midfielder (not far better), but you've been shit talking Smith for quite some time yet Emre hasn't done much for us in midfield either, has he?  A cracking goal against the scum and 2 more against Everton and Reading. 

I'm just trying to illustrate that Smith isn't as bad as you're making him out to be when there are other players who need to step up as well.

Unfortunately for myself I've had to sit through performances from Smith as a midfielder and he really was that bad, I haven't been "talking shit" about him at all I've been telling it how I see it from my seat in the gallowgate.

Good point, well made and neatly side stepped by Baghead.

Guest Knightrider

Unfortunately for myself I've had to sit through performances from Smith as a midfielder and he really was that bad, I haven't been "talking shit" about him at all I've been telling it how I see it from my seat in the gallowgate.

I agree but in terms of the team he has obviously contributed something good like a lot of players and personally speaking, at this stage that's all I really care about - results. I wouldn't have him in my XI but I'm not going to keep criticising him when we are doing well, nor any player, especially in the early development stages of this new era where I believe results are more important than performances and semantics such as who should play where or who should be dropped for whom. So long as we keep heading in the right direction of course. If not then I'll look at the team and analyse from there. This is why I don't get the stick Martins gets either, despite some admittedly poor performances. He's scoring, he's creating, he's adding something to the team and we are doing well. Great individual performances would be the icing on the cake of course for every player and the team but I'll excuse that anyday of the week for favourable results.

Smith is an average striker who doesn't score enough to warrant a first-team place, and he's a crap midfielder to boot. the problem is he has nothing that makes him stand out, like viduka's touch and creativity, owen's goalscoring or martins' pace and power. he is strong but not a beast, he isn't slow but certainly doesn't have a burst of pace, he has a decent first touch and control but it's not amazing - he won't use it to create space, beat a player or outwit them with his first touch, can keep possession well but is rarely going to create chances, decent in the air but no zamorano, okay movement but not going to stretch teams like a bellamy. when you add that to the fact he's up there with the likes of ade akinbiyi in terms of goalscoring, he doesn't really amount to much. a jack of all trades, master of none. when all are fit he'll be strictly 4th choice striker, and will hold a similar position in midfield. the less time he gets on the pitch the better, which isn't saying a lot for a £6m player.