Who do you think is the most important player in the nufc squad at present?

fredbob

there is no single player we rely on to that extent,which is a good thing

Agreed.

Where as in seasons gone by Shearer and Given were collosal head and shoulders above the rest, like Stevie G is for Liverpool we don't really have one at the moment, which isn't a bad thing. Zoggy imo has been our best player thus far, although has faded over the last game or so, so i'd have to pick him if i had to atm. Given has also been collosal season after season.

Alot of our players have the potential to including Emre, Barton, Owen, Martins, Cacapa, Taylor imo

sadly there isn't anyone real class at the moment - so we don't have a "most important player" :-(

the closest we get is zoggy imo - adds a bit of creativity and unexpectedness, too many of our players are too easy to read

Disagree. Owen and Given are world class players IMO, Players like Cacapa and Viduka are very good quality Premiership players and the likes of Enrique, Zog, Martins etc have a lot of potential.

i agree (do i then disagree with myself?). owen and given are top players, as is martins and we also have other good players. they just aren't really playing as top players at the moment. owen hasn't played much and the rest of the team seems mediocre at times. but we do have the potential - i would love to see a bit more creativity in the side though

Guest ryunufc

charlie and roz are important but milner/duff(when fit) and faye are capable to fill their positions. to me, viduka is the most important player even when everyone is fit because no one is capable to do what he can do and he is the first choice to partner owen or martins. our system (regardless 433 or 442) requires a striker to hold up the ball and to connect crosses(regardless from emre, milner or charlie), that makes viduka irreplaceable at the moment.

people saying we have missed owen!  :idiot2:

martins has been smashing the goals in left right and centre and he should always start

if owen wont play with martins then we havnt missed him, if he would play with martins then we need him but im happy with martins viduka

martins has been smashing the goals in left right and centre and he should always start

if owen wont play with martins then we havnt missed him, if he would play with martins then we need him but im happy with martins viduka

Owen is better than Martins or Viduka. I can see where you're coming from partially as much as I'm a big fan of Viduka and I know Owen will play well alongside pie shop. Martins is a decent striker but wouldnt go as far as saying he's banging them in left right and centre - that's what i would say Andy Cole was doing before we sold him! Give Martins time, but for now Owen is far and away the best forward at this club.

Funny because the stats don't back that up.

Isnt it strange how historically we've craved a decent defence/defender and thats always been the stigma attached to our lack of success and frustration and yet when we finally have a defence to be proud of noone seems to be placing any importance on them. This is the reason why i think Roz and Cacapa are so bloody important, without them we are the last 3/4 seasons all over again.

Isnt it strange how historically we've craved a decent defence/defender and thats always been the stigma attached to our lack of success and frustration and yet when we finally have a defence to be proud of noone seems to be placing any importance on them. This is the reason why i think Roz and Cacapa are so bloody important, without them we are the last 3/4 seasons all over again.

I think Faye is the type o defender we've been crying out for for years too, i.e. - a big strong centre-back.

I think Faye is the type o defender we've been crying out for for years too, i.e. - a big strong centre-back.

blueyes.gif

Yeh i agree, although i personally have been craving a defender who is able to bring the ball out of defence, even Bramble had his good days but i still hated seeing him hoof the ball to wembely everytime he got the ball, the number of times he gave the ball away in the middle of our half was unbelivable, its why i place more value on the likes of Roz and Cacapas who are able to play the ball to out of defence releasing pressure and retaining possession, which is 'nine tenths of the game'

(Not sayin Faye cant pass the ball out of defence, just making a generalisation about all 'big strong defenders')

Yeh i agree, although i personally have been craving a defender who is able to bring the ball out of defence, even Bramble had his good days but i still hated seeing him hoof the ball to wembely everytime he got the ball, the number of times he gave the ball away in the middle of our half was unbelivable, its why i place more value on the likes of Roz and Cacapas who are able to play the ball to out of defence releasing pressure and retaining possession, which is 'nine tenths of the game'

(Not sayin Faye cant pass the ball out of defence, just making a generalisation about all 'big strong defenders')

I think both are equally important really, you need a good blend in that position, same as you do in the middle of the park and up front. I think the best combo is Faye and Cacapa / Rozenhal, especially in the majority of PL games. What we've all really been craving I suppose is a good back four and we actually look like we're well on the way to having that now. For the first time in years.

Yeh i agree, although i personally have been craving a defender who is able to bring the ball out of defence, even Bramble had his good days but i still hated seeing him hoof the ball to wembely everytime he got the ball, the number of times he gave the ball away eyes.gifin the middle of our half was unbelivable, its why i place more value on the likes of Roz and Cacapas who are able to play the ball to out of defence releasing pressure and retaining possession, which is 'nine tenths of the game'

I think both are equally important really, you need a good blend in that position, same as you do in the middle of the park and up front. I think the best combo is Faye and Cacapa / Rozenhal, especially in the majority of PL games. What we've all really been craving I suppose is a good back four and we actually look like we're well on the way to having that now. For the first time in years.

:thup:

In the system we have been been playing Milner has the most important job on the field. He has been piss poor but he would have been helped by a little more guile from the 3 in midfield.

Most important is the one who can bring some creativity. At the minute he doesn't exist.

Cacapa is important at the back. Owen is important up front if he gets the service. With our lot that isn't always likely. Without the service he is a passenger.

Easily Mark Viduka.

When he is fit, just as much as Owen, he is a goalscoring threat whether the team is on top or under the pump.

As an added bonus he has the strength and the skill to hold the ball up, which our team desperately needs since we play a lot of long balls.

You could say Owen, but the Owen/Martins strike combination is more a pot luck kind of thing to me, you might bag a few or you might not even get past half way. With Viduka on the pitch you are going to build solid attacks, mount some pressure and bag a goal either from his shooting or his set up work.

Its that kind of consistency that we have lacked so miserably in our defeats.

Unfortunately i can't see more than 12 months more of quality from the big man so with him and probably Owen going Sam has some spending to do.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

Tough question but I would say either Mark Viduka or Abdolaye Faye. Viduka for beeing the only one good enough to be playing as a target, Faye for beeing the only player that fully understands Allardyces tatics. If I had to pick one I'd go with Viduka due to Allardyce will of playing the longboll, especially away from home. In time I think Joey Barton might become the most important player but he is not at the moment.