Brazil to host 2014 World Cup

Fugazi

Brazil are set to be unveiled as the 2014 World Cup hosts on Tuesday.

The South American country is the only nation bidding to host the tournament which is due to be staged on the continent under Fifa's rotation system.

The other South American nations agreed to back Brazil, who have won the World Cup a record five times, as their only candidate in 2003.

Two-time winner and former Brazil coach Mario Zagallo said: "I've no doubt the 2014 World Cup will be in Brazil."

And Zagallo, who won the World Cup as a player in 1958 and 1962, as a coach in 1970 and as an assistant coach in 1994, believes the country has enough time to get ready.

"In seven years Brazil will have new stadiums and we will fix those that need to be fixed," he added.

"Fifa has been here and have seen it is possible to be done."

Brazil have hosted the World Cup once before, in 1950.

They reached the final but were beaten 2-1 by South American rivals Uruguay in front of an official record crowd of 173,830 at the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, although the actual attendance was estimated to be over 200,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7068848.stm

A good choice of host? I imagine quite a few of the stadiums they intend to use need renovating.

Little snippet of trivia: The 1950 'final' wasn't actually the final. It was the last match of a final group. A draw would have seen Brazil win the tournament. So there you go.

Guest nufc_geordie

let's just once have a world cup in the northern hemisphere in the winter.

Totally agree. Summer conditions always have and always will benefit South American and Medittaranean countries. I reckon the Swedens, Englands, Russians etc. would be much more of a force if we played it in say November-February time. I know it would play havoc with the domestic fixtures but that is what happens in rugby and they just get on with it.

let's just once have a world cup in the northern hemisphere in the winter.

Totally agree. Summer conditions always have and always will benefit South American and Medittaranean countries. I reckon the Swedens, Englands, Russians etc. would be much more of a force if we played it in say November-February time. I know it would play havoc with the domestic fixtures but that is what happens in rugby and they just get on with it.

They would have to stop the Premier League, certainly, as a huge percentage of players would be unable to play for their clubs. Never happen, but good idea.

Guest justin99.

A total joke where this competition has ended up in recent years, and where its ending up in the next couple of hostings.

South Korea/Japan, Germany, Brazil, South Africa??

What was/will be wrong with them?

A total joke where this competition has ended up in recent years, and where its ending up in the next couple of hostings.

South Korea/Japan, Germany, Brazil, Germany??

What was/will be wrong with them?

The next one is Sarf Afreeka but I don't have a problem with where they've been either. Unless he means the bidding process. With Japan/Korea being a lot dodgier than the last one when Germany got it.

Its a total farce.

Only one bid for it from South America, what a fuking joke.

Brazil? Has anyone seen the shit state Brazil is in?

As for South Africa, i'd rather stick my head in a great whites mouth while poking it in the eye with a tazer, that is by far safer than being a tourist in South Africa right now.

Why all these shitty Countries? Because some prick decided it had to be rotated through the continents, i mean what the fuk do South Korea & Japan know about football? Don't even get my started on the yanks who 90% of them didn't even know they were hosting it. Getting it simply because its hasn't been there is a totaly docile.

Total fuking shambles by FIFA, and this is the final straw that thankfully made the old cunts see sense and have now dropped it and it goes to the best bidder; the best stadiums, the safest countries, best infrastructure & best prepared, not a Country that haven't got any stadiums built, are running riot, and don't even like football.

I hope the Antarctic put a bid in and win, its about as stupid as hosting it in some of the places its been and going too.

Don't think they have a confederation like. One for the future though, once global warming kicks in properly.

I hope the Antarctic put a bid in and win, its about as stupid as hosting it in some of the places its been and going too.

Don't think they have a confederation like. One for the future though, once global warming kicks in properly.

:laugh:

Until this week it probably didn't matter to FIFA.  :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6403761.stm

Pretty much backs TT's point about the rotations.

They've just announced they're scrapping the policy in the last week haven't they?

Yep, but still there have been places the WC shouldn't of been, and the next two are just laughable.

Finally the rotten cunts admit their mistakes, how could they not with one nation bidding for the SA allocation. Its beyond a joke, but thats what you get with a clown like Blatter in charge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6403761.stm

Pretty much backs TT's point about the rotations.

They've just announced they're scrapping the policy in the last week haven't they?

Yep, but still there have been places the WC shouldn't of been, and the next two are just laughable.

Finally the rotten cunts admit their mistakes, how could they not with one nation bidding for the SA allocation. Its beyond a joke, but thats what you get with a clown like Blatter in charge.

I don't know. Again the selection process is flawed but are South Africa and Brazil really such bad places to host those tournaments. South America hasn't held it since 1978 which seems daft when you think that South American countries win it so often and Brazil were seemingly the only candidates. Football is very popular in South Africa too and it was surely time Africa hosted the tournament. I realise that neither country is particularly wealthy and both suffer from huge social problems but at the same time, I know people who have visited both countries and loved them and had no problems, so maybe the safety issues are overplayed at times. I had more of a problem with USA getting the World Cup because it's not even a major sport there compared to Baseball, US Football and Basketball etc.