England's World Cup bid, St James' and those stupid listed buildings.

danswan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Australia although in theory a good idea (stadia, infrastructure,chance to profile the game there) would be horrendous for all fans of teams that weren't Australia. The cost and effort for fans of all other teams would be massive not to mention the teams of which half will be travelling from Europe plus will the games sell out? Do people in Australia want to watch Ukraine v Togo? I very much doubt so. Plus with the stadiums being ovals (some will be) this is likely to detract from the atmosphere at grounds.

Australia although in theory a good idea (stadia, infrastructure,chance to profile the game there) would be horrendous for all fans of teams that weren't Australia. The cost and effort for fans of all other teams would be massive not to mention the teams of which half will be travelling from Europe plus will the games sell out? Do people in Australia want to watch Ukraine v Togo? I very much doubt so. Plus with the stadiums being ovals (some will be) this is likely to detract from the atmosphere at grounds.

Much less expensive than Japan - same price or cheaper to get there and a lot cheaper once you're there. And do you reckon Ukraine v Togo will definitely sell out in the UK at £40 a ticket. Euro '96 suggests otherwise.

Much less expensive than Japan - same price or cheaper to get there and a lot cheaper once you're there. And do you reckon Ukraine v Togo will definitely sell out in the UK at £40 a ticket. Euro '96 suggests otherwise.

sell out wise i agree, a point i raised earlier. I didn't agree with WC in Japan/Korea either as it again isolates the majority of teams supporters who wish to go or indeed even watch it on tele with most games kicking off at ridiculous o'clock. Plus, i know this will sound rich as England are unlikely to qualify to Euro '08, but it is again giving the host nation a place that they would not necessarily gain if they had to qualify particularly as Australia are now in AFC & the general consensus is that tournaments need a host that is going to do well in order to keep the bandwagon going see Germany 06 and Korea in 02. 

And Australia is such an arse to get to their own national team doesn't even play all their games there with many being held at Loftus Road.

and anyone going there would rack up a zillion airmiles going to the various games..........

Unless they drive.

Cool, driving from Perth to Sydney. That would only take 5 days.

My point was you wouldn't have to fly everywhere, although that is the most extreme example that you've given there. I'd guess teams would have one base for group games because of the travelling though and Perth wouldn't get a semi-final in all probability. Most Australian cities are in a relatively small part of the east coast anyway. Certainly driveable in the amount of time between matches for a team you might be following. I've driven between quite a lot of them.

sell out wise i agree, a point i raised earlier. I didn't agree with WC in Japan/Korea either as it again isolates the majority of teams supporters who wish to go or indeed even watch it on tele with most games kicking off at ridiculous o'clock. Plus, i know this will sound rich as England are unlikely to qualify to Euro '08, but it is again giving the host nation a place that they would not necessarily gain if they had to qualify particularly as Australia are now in AFC & the general consensus is that tournaments need a host that is going to do well in order to keep the bandwagon going see Germany 06 and Korea in 02. 

And Australia is such an arse to get to their own national team doesn't even play all their games there with many being held at Loftus Road.

It's the World Cup though so it should be farmed around the globe. Also, Australia play games in Europe because all their players are based here. Loads of other countries do the same thing.

Don't see any point in paying millions to move the listed buildings. SJP is only full three or four times a year, so what would be the point? It's easy enough to say that we will be doing better etc in a few years and everyone will come back, but what if we don't get back to our best? We'll have a 70 odd thousand seater ground with forty odd thousand people in.

Maybe if we do get abck to our best, then we should consider it, but certainly not now.

What about when the States held it in 1994 ? How far do you think California is from the East Coast ? Or even Chicago, for example?

These arguments are not valid against holding the WC ANYWHERE - do you think it should only be held in Europe because its easier for YOU? FIFA don't look at it that way, they want to advance the game ALL OVER the world.

Also, it would be held in June, so that is the Aussie Winter, temps around 18-20 during the day - perfect for football - as for time differences, when the WC was held in Argentina in 78, we often had to stay up until the early hours to see games because they were 8 hours behind - 9 behind Central Europe, so that doesn't stand up either..

As has been said, you wouldn't get supporters in ANY country watching games between very minor nations, wherever it was played.

For all the rights and wrongs of the World Cup in 1994 the Pasadena Rosebowl looked absolutely incredible for the final. Wouldn't have liked the view from the back though.

Guest jimmy1982

For a TV spectator I thought USA 94 was just as good as Italia 90. Maybe that was more to do with just having more good players playing well than anyhting to do with the staging of the competition though.

For a TV spectator I thought USA 94 was just as good as Italia 90. Maybe that was more to do with just having more good players playing well than anyhting to do with the staging of the competition though.

I really enjoyed '94 too. Overall it was a better tournament. Obviously England were excellent in Italia '90 and weren't even there four years later, which put a completely different perspective on things.

I really enjoyed '94 too. Overall it was a better tournament. Obviously England were excellent in Italia '90 and weren't even there four years later, which put a completely different perspective on things.

oh no they weren't

oh no they weren't

Well, they had an excellent tournament then. Admittedly they were lucky on occasion - Belgium and Cameroon for example and it was only against Holland that they played well in the group stage.

Italia 90 was the best of the World Cups IMHO

You can put it anywhere but it does seem logical that the top rated countries get more World Cups  than Bhutan or Wales

Is that just because of England Rob? Because the standard of football was fucking awful in general. Defences on top and a tournament summed-up when a workmanlike West Germany defeated a very average Argentinian side in an abysmal final.

You can put it anywhere but it does seem logical that the top rated countries get more World Cups  than Bhutan or Wales

it just goes where the money is tbh.

it just goes where the money is tbh.

True. It's never been in South America since 1978.

Guest jimmy1982

Is that just because of England Rob? Because the standard of football was f****** awful in general. Defences on top and a tournament summed-up when a workmanlike West Germany defeated a very average Argentinian side in an abysmal final.

For me the only memorable things from Italia 90 were Gazza'a brilliance, the sense of hysteria and magic (it seemed magical to 8 year old me) surrounding England as they got further and further, the Esso coin collection and my uncle doing his nut at the telly whenever a West German dived, and then explaining to me at length that that wasn't the way I should play football. None of those things were the result of the tournament being staged in a traditional football country.