Pace....

madras

Look how it can effect players though who once had it and lost it one way or another.

Owen is an example of that at the moment, although the tactics aren't helping him.

Shearer after that injury in '97, managed to re-model his game, although at the highest level was just a back to goal striker, when beforehand was so much more.

Gazza after his cruciate injury, lost that burst of pace he once had, that not many people give him credit for.

Write Owen off at your peril 2Gay.  bluerazz.gif

I'm not writing him off, but he was a lot more dangerous when he had that blistering pace. Correct?

He's just back from a career threatening inj. Correct?  ;)

If you count May which was six months ago recent then yes.

He needs more football. He'll never be back to his peak I agree, but I'm not saying anything about him till the end of the season. I owe him that courtesy.  blueyes.gif

He's look a lot better playing for England mind, obviously due to the fact he's playing with better players, can play his usual role, on the shoulder etc  blueyes.gif

Look how it can effect players though who once had it and lost it one way or another.

Owen is an example of that at the moment, although the tactics aren't helping him.

Shearer after that injury in '97, managed to re-model his game, although at the highest level was just a back to goal striker, when beforehand was so much more.

Gazza after his cruciate injury, lost that burst of pace he once had, that not many people give him credit for.

Write Owen off at your peril 2Gay.  bluerazz.gif

I'm not writing him off, but he was a lot more dangerous when he had that blistering pace. Correct?

He's just back from a career threatening inj. Correct?  ;)

If you count May which was six months ago recent then yes.

He needs more football. He'll never be back to his peak I agree, but I'm not saying anything about him till the end of the season. I owe him that courtesy.  blueyes.gif

He's look a lot better playing for England mind, obviously due to the fact he's playing with better players, can play his usual role, on the shoulder etc  blueyes.gif

Needs a feeder forward a Sheringham type.

I'd argue that pace is a hugely underrated part of the game. Obviously it is not as crucial to a player as skill but think about the 3 best teams in the league, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea, and they all have pace in their team.

I'd argue that pace is a hugely underrated part of the game. Obviously it is not as crucial to a player as skill but think about the 3 best teams in the league, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea, and they all have pace in their team.

Course they do. You only have to look at Shevchenko and Owen to see how much of their armoury is now missing. Technique is a pre-requisite of any outstanding player usually. However, whilst the likes of Giggs can get away without his pace of old he isnt what the team look for on the break anymore. Ronaldo is. Its also fair to say Giggs was a lot more threatening when he had that electric burst. Him and Kanchelskis were bloody terrifying at times. Hughes and Cantona didnt need to be quick with those two around them. Now Ronaldo has that weapon and Man Utd arent relying on Giggs for that outlet. As a team they still have it though.

Its all about complimenting what you have.

Arsenal use the electric pace of their fullbacks and the better than average (again not lightning) pace and technique of their wide men. Unfortunately we have a bunch of strollers. Even then their technique isnt the best. Zog is the exception pace wise but he still has a lot to learn.

Course they do. You only have to look at Shevchenko and Owen to see how much of their armoury is now missing. Technique is a pre-requisite of any outstanding player usually. However, whilst the likes of Giggs can get away without his pace of old he isnt what the team look for on the break anymore. Ronaldo is. Its also fair to say Giggs was a lot more threatening when he had that electric burst. Him and Kanchelskis were bloody terrifying at times. Hughes and Cantona didnt need to be quick with those two around them. Now Ronaldo has that weapon and Man Utd arent relying on Giggs for that outlet. As a team they still have it though.

Arsenal use the electric pace of their fullbacks and the better than average (again not lightning) pace and technique of their wide men. Unfortunately we have a bunch of strollers. Even then their technique isnt the best. Zog is the exception pace wise but he still has a lot to learn.

Ideally there has to be one or two players, ideally two with fearful pace. Fergie has started to introduce Nani as well now, another one who is no slouch.

Ideally there has to be one or two players, ideally two with fearful pace. Fergie has started to introduce Nani as well now, another one who is no slouch.

Anderson is pretty quick too. Don't think Nani is as quick as Ronaldo but the movement of Rooney, Tevez, Giggs, Anderson (or Scholes when fit) and Ronaldo is great to watch. They all have top class technique, which is the main thing too. Fergie has always used pace, from Danny Wallace onwards. So has Wenger. They usually have decent overlapping fullbacks too. Evra, Clichy, Eboue and Sagna are bloody quick. Still think we missed Beye yesterday in terms of covering for the centre halves never mind going forward. He's a quick lad himself (not lightning).

Anderson is pretty quick too. Don't think Nani is as quick as Ronaldo but the movement of Rooney, Tevez, Giggs, Anderson (or Scholes when fit) and Ronaldo is great to watch. They all have top class technique, which is the main thing too. Fergie has always used pace, from Danny Wallace onwards. So has Wenger. They usually have decent overlapping fullbacks too. Evra, Clichy, Eboue and Sagna are bloody quick. Still think we missed Beye yesterday in terms of covering for the centre halves never mind going forward. He's a quick lad himself (not lightning).

Beye has to play for me. Good passer in forward postions as well. Has been a bit suspect but imo it takes 4/5 months min to get used to the speed of the PL.