Mort tells it like it is - Kneejerkers take note

Guest hindu times

2 or 3 seasons are needed for us to stablise and rebuild from the mess in which Mike, Mort and Allerdyce took over. I think some people or fearful of falling behind the clubs spending loads of dosh. 

Look what happend to Anakin Skywlaker when he chose the quick and easy path, his life became a right mess.

I am putting the Pompy game down to "one of those days" teams have at home sometimes.

It took Robson until his third season to succeed, though he had a world class managerial record and we'd shown signs of progress in the first two seasons despite mid-table finishes.

I think one season is enough for Allardyce to have made an impact here, and to show progress, not just in the league but in other areas of the club like fitness, morale, scouting, the academy, youth acquisition and so on. so he can get away with a less than stellar league finish if he can show that the club as a whole is significantly better off than it was a year earlier, and that foundations have been put in place. for his 2nd season he'll have to show a pronounced improvement in both our football and our league position - get us competing for 5th place alongside spurs, everton, man city and the rest - if he doesn't then he can have few complaints if we look elsewhere. to sum up, he's got till the end of next season.

Robson came here when the season had already started and we had 1 point after something like 6 games, he had little money to spend and had to make do with signing Gallagher, Allardyce on the other hand came here and had the summer to prepare, he's also had money to spend yet we're still shite to watch.

Allardyce on the other hand came here and had the summer to prepare, he's also had money to spend yet we're still s**** to watch.

Not completly fair, he was also caught up in the sale of the club which delayed transfers etc.

I can't fucking believe some of the comments in this thread, I really can't.

Baggio thinks there might be a prize for calling it right 3 managers in a row.

Sorry for having an opinion and not being a sheep like the majority of the board.

Allardyce on the other hand came here and had the summer to prepare, he's also had money to spend yet we're still s**** to watch.

Not completly fair, he was also caught up in the sale of the club which delayed transfers etc.

Yet still spent over £25 million, £11 million net and brought in 9 players.

And cleared out a shitload of deadwood from the SBR, Souness and Roeder days combined.

Give him time, it's been one transfer window and 2 months into a season! Jesus Christ do we deserve to be in the position we are in or what?!

And cleared out a shitload of deadwood from the SBR, Souness and Roeder days combined.

Give him time, it's been one transfer window and 2 months into a season! Jesus Christ do we deserve to be in the position we are in or what?!

Deadwood? They were all out of contract ffs, apart from that he replaced Dyer with an inferior player in Smith and rightly got rid of Parker, a player I seem to remember getting shot down for for pointing out how shit he is yet most changed their tune in the end.

People will be agreeing with me about Allardyce come the end of the season, too.

I don't think you can really set a time-limit on a manager like that, you just have to play it by ear. If we found ourselves tumbling towards relegation we'd have to look at things quickly but generally you look at more than just the results. Under Souness and Roeder you looked at the bigger picture and you thought "where are we going with this guy and why does he deserve more time". Souness started falling out with the team's better players and moving them on to settle personal scores, while Roeder had us flirting with relegation and we only finished 5 points above the drop. Both pointed at a ridiculous injury crisis and while they had a point, there was a lot wrong at the club that they were accountable for. They had to go, in the interests of the club. Sam's managerial CV is more impressive than theirs (I don't care what anyone says about Souness, Blackburn were laughing that we took him off their hands) and for that reason he deserves and will get more benefit of the doubt. I believe most fans do look at the bigger picture, and under the previous two managers the bigger picture looked pretty bleak. I think people will look to see Sam doing a good job, and that's about more than just results on the pitch.

As madras said most people have criticised him but have stopped short of saying he should be sacked. Generally speaking Sam has had praise where it is due and criticism where it is due, the majority of people will call a spade a spade. The media will always put words in the mouths of fans and jump to conclusions, and it's obviously going to make Allardyce and Mort feel uneasy, but I think most fans don't mince their words and just tell it like it is. If they wanted him sacked they would say so, and the vast majority have said nothing of the sort.

At the minute there's no way we're going to qualify for Europe next season, and that's all down to the manager.

We should have about 8 extra points at the minute, but terrible tactics have cost us, and by the time we're half way through the season we'll be even further off the pace.

If we don't finish in the top 8 he has to go, imo.  Which I suppose is me saying, at the end of the season he has to go.

It's such a shame being so negative after such a positive pre season, but I just didn't think Allardyce would come into this job as if he's managing Bolton again.  It's been said before, but he only knows 1 way to play and other teams have found him out.

It's mind boggling that fans like yourself are only willing to give the manager 10 games to change his mindset! f***'s sake man, he's been in one mindset for about 15 years and you expect all that to change in what? 2 months?

Give him some time. He's shown that he does realize the weaknesses we have in the team, and in time, I have faith that he'll show that he's very adaptive and will turn this club around. If we win the next couple of games what are the odds that you won't be concluding, already, after 10 games, that we won't be making it into Europe next season?

Well Sam himself has said on more than one occaision that he cut his cloth accordingly at Bolton. If after 5 months in charge of the club he hasn't noticed that his resources and demands are somewhat greater than at the Reebok, and therefore the cloth needs cutting differently he never will.

(not saying he should go btw)

Deadwood? They were all out of contract ffs, apart from that he replaced Dyer with an inferior player in Smith and rightly got rid of Parker, a player I seem to remember getting shot down for for pointing out how s*** he is yet most changed their tune in the end.

People will be agreeing with me about Allardyce come the end of the season, too

Lets give him his chance to prove it.  I am as annoyed as anybody about our away form and the recent home result but people going round (not saying you are) wanting Sam gone isn't going to help and if we did sack Sam we'll be back to square one.

Newcastle United = Sankes n Fcking Ladders.

Deadwood? They were all out of contract ffs, apart from that he replaced Dyer with an inferior player in Smith and rightly got rid of Parker, a player I seem to remember getting shot down for for pointing out how shit he is yet most changed their tune in the end.

People will be agreeing with me about Allardyce come the end of the season, too.

Apart from a few who weren't out of contract  - Dyer, Luque, Parker, Solano (all arguably 'deadwood' in one way or another) a large number of players being out of contract made Allardyce's job harder still. Ok so they weren't hard to get rid of but it meant he had to bring a hell of a lot of new players in. I can't remember there being so much transfer activity here in a summer.

Apart from a few who weren't out of contract  - Dyer, Luque, Parker, Solano (all arguably 'deadwood' in one way or another) a large number of players being out of contract made Allardyce's job harder still. Ok so they weren't hard to get rid of but it meant he had to bring a hell of a lot of new players in. I can't remember there being so much transfer activity here in a summer.

And as I pointed out at the time he would regret not replacing Dyer and Solano properly, which he is.

He chose to go down the team full of grafters route rather than bringing in any genuine talent into the first team, the only player he brought in with any sort of talent on the ball is Viduka and he fires long balls at him every chance he gets, add to that we look worse as a defensive unit now compared to how we did under Roeder even though he's spent over £12 million on defenders then I can't see much to shout about.

I think that's incredibly harsh and short-sighted.

I don't, I look at the appointments Man City and Spurs have made and I think we should be looking for a manager of similar calibre, not some small club manager with a small club mentality, if we continue with him we will never get where we want to be as he's not good enough.

Sounds like you've written him off already.

I'm not impressed put it that way, I'd give him until then end of the season and see how he's done before making a decision, I think the football he's got us playing is on par with what we played under Dalglish and it bores me, add that to him being happy with a point away to some of the worst teams in the league and I've got little time for him.

just because he wasn't appointed by a DOF

At the minute there's no way we're going to qualify for Europe next season, and that's all down to the manager.

We should have about 8 extra points at the minute, but terrible tactics have cost us, and by the time we're half way through the season we'll be even further off the pace.

If we don't finish in the top 8 he has to go, imo.  Which I suppose is me saying, at the end of the season he has to go.

It's such a shame being so negative after such a positive pre season, but I just didn't think Allardyce would come into this job as if he's managing Bolton again.  It's been said before, but he only knows 1 way to play and other teams have found him out.

It's mind boggling that fans like yourself are only willing to give the manager 10 games to change his mindset! f***'s sake man, he's been in one mindset for about 15 years and you expect all that to change in what? 2 months?

Give him some time. He's shown that he does realize the weaknesses we have in the team, and in time, I have faith that he'll show that he's very adaptive and will turn this club around. If we win the next couple of games what are the odds that you won't be concluding, already, after 10 games, that we won't be making it into Europe next season?

Well Sam himself has said on more than one occaision that he cut his cloth accordingly at Bolton. If after 5 months in charge of the club he hasn't noticed that his resources and demands are somewhat greater than at the Reebok, and therefore the cloth needs cutting differently he never will.

(not saying he should go btw)

What about the possibility that he just hasn't been able to make us play the kind of way he envisioned because we don't have the players for it? The whole summer was driven towards acquiring the necessary backroom staff, setting up the foundations for everything, ridding ourselves of the overpaid underachievers and then lastly solidifying the defence.

Come the next transfer window I bet Sam will know that we need to acquire a good attacking center midfielder and probably a right winger as well. And if he does that, who knows eh? It took SBR two signings to transform the whole side and maybe it'll take only that much in the next window to do the same for us.

And as I pointed out at the time he would regret not replacing Dyer and Solano properly, which he is.

He chose to go down the team full of grafters route rather than bringing in any genuine talent into the first team, the only player he brought in with any sort of talent on the ball is Viduka and he fires long balls at him every chance he gets, add to that we look worse as a defensive unit now compared to how we did under Roeder even though he's spent over £12 million on defenders then I can't see much to shout about.

Not really the point I was making. I was saying he had a huge task in terms of rebuilding and it's far too early to judge him yet - especially the defence, many of whom have never played in the Premier League before this season and are still 'bedding in'. I'm a bit disappointed with how things have gone so far obviously but I'll really only condemn him if the next two transfer windows doesn't see a bit of flair and quality being added to the side. Obviously if it all goes tits up then I'll change my mind. The next four games aren't exactly easy either. Lose them and the pressure may become unbearable.

Not really the point I was making. I was saying he had a huge task in terms of rebuilding and it's far too early to judge him yet - especially the defence, many of whom have never played in the Premier League before this season and are still 'bedding in'. I'm a bit disappointed with how things have gone so far obviously but I'll really only condemn him if the next two transfer windows doesn't see a bit of flair and quality being added to the side. Obviously if it all goes tits up then I'll change my mind. The next four games aren't exactly easy either. Lose them and the pressure may become unbearable.

Baggio said he'd be happy with Sam, Alex

It took Robson until his third season to succeed, though he had a world class managerial record and we'd shown signs of progress in the first two seasons despite mid-table finishes.

I think one season is enough for Allardyce to have made an impact here, and to show progress, not just in the league but in other areas of the club like fitness Check, morale Check, scouting Given our signings, check, the academy still in question, youth acquisition Check and so on. so he can get away with a less than stellar league finish if he can show that the club as a whole is significantly better off than it was a year earlier, and that foundations have been put in place. for his 2nd season he'll have to show a pronounced improvement in both our football and our league position - get us competing for 5th place alongside spurs, everton, man city and the rest - if he doesn't then he can have few complaints if we look elsewhere. to sum up, he's got till the end of next season.

So far, obviously. Things are still very much coming together on the pitch. What do you expect after a transfer window that included over 20 transfers in and out?

It is good people relize we are not changing the managment team it gives some sort of stability. But it remember Roader gets simillar backing last November. Sam deserve a run with the team and it takes time to get anything out of this at this momment.

Going to places like Derby and Reading playing for a point, playing Milner and N'Zogbia on opposite sides, the long ball rubbish, playing Alan Smith anywhere apart from the reserves, these things have nothing to do with bedding in.

Going to places like Derby and Reading playing for a point, playing Milner and N'Zogbia on opposite sides, the long ball rubbish, playing Alan Smith anywhere apart from the reserves, these things have nothing to do with bedding in.

but you wanted Allardyce, right ?

but you wanted Allardyce, right ?

When Souness was in charge I thought he would be a good alternative, I wanted either Sven or Houllier when we replaced Roeder though.