Switching full-backs, N'Zogbia, 4-3-3 & Big Sam's thinking?

Guest Knightrider

One thing to note, if we give SA the time to buy all the players he wants for a 4-3-3 and then he fails, we're royally fucked. The next manager will have to have ANOTHER overhaul of the squad because he'll most likely be wanting to play a 4-4-2 (as most managers do).

On the other hand, if SA can change his mindset and continue with the 4-4-2 then even if he fails, the players will be there for the next manager.

The obvious thing to do is bring in another manager who also prefers the 4-3-3 formation.

Who? Mourinho?

None of the managers we were linked with after Roeder left and who we could possibly attract prefers the 4-3-3. Not Houllier, Eriksson, Van Gaal, Koeman etc.

If Ashley gives Sam the cash to spend and SA decides to go with the 4-3-3, there's little room for failure. We'll be left with a squad bereft of players who excel in a 4-4-2 and would struggle to attract a good manager presuming that Allardyce left when we were in the shits.

Van Gaal, Houllier and Koeman have all played 4-3-3 at one time or another, it depends on what players they have available.

But the idea of not backing Allardyce with transforming his squad to the system he wants to play is just crazy, if that's the way of thinking then we were wrong to give him the job in the first place.

Guest Knightrider

Kenwyn Jones would have been a good signing for that formation, he's like a poor mans Drogba.

I wasn't impressed, although I agree with your sentiments. I wouldn't mind Crouch or Heskey in January myself, although I'd prefer Crouch as he's younger, not as injury prone and scores more goals. I'd be worried such a player would make it far easier for us just to lump it long though. Anelka is the one for that role if we are talking ideally.

Pretty sure Anelka played on the right at Bolton cutting inside, sometimes he was switched into the middle if fat Sam wanted to take advantage of a fullback being poor in the air and playing long diagonal balls, I'm not sure if he could play well up there full time.

Crouch would be a decent signing, like Viduka he lacks mobility but he wins flick on's better than anyone else in the league, maybe having 2 pacey strikers to take advantage of this.

I think he started games wide right and even wide left but always ended up centrally, I'm not sure whether he got the freedom to just float or not, maybe he did, which is what I'd actually prefer anyway. Regarding Crouch, he's not slow slow, i.e. Milner slow, he can make up the strides but importantly he's a quick thinker. I like him a lot and think he's far better than Kuyt who seems to get picked ahead of him at Liverpool. I'm glad we never signed him, Martins is much better, all his faults included. Kuyt is basically the Dutch Alan Smith in my opinion.

To your first question HTT. I ask because it's clear you've put in the time and thought to really analyze the future movements of Big Sam. I personally can hardly ever be bothered to type more than one 5 line paragraph. I reckon Sam pays you to be his internet street-team.. telling us he knows what he's doing.

I too thought Smith was Viduka's replacement, i'm not so sure anymore. More likely the Dyer replacement.

Oba is more likely to nick a goal in an away game where we are under the kosh. He has the ability to score from absolutely nothing, with either foot, from anywhere around the 25 yard area. Owen can't do this, he needs the ball in the box. His inclusion in the team smacks me of someone scared to drop the star player.

He's manager of Newcastle United. We have managed to avoid a relegation battle with managers like Souness and Roeder. We aren't getting relegated. We don't need 4-5 short term signings.

I think Big Sam is winging it.

My thoughts on Big Sam are borne out of close study of him, his methods and watching a hell of a lot of Bolton over the years because I've always thought "he'd do for us" so I like to think I have a good understanding of his methods and what not and an insight into how he thinks.

My next victim target is Aidy Boothroyd.  :razz:

I don't buy into Big Sam's comments about Smith replacing Dyer, as a body maybe, but not positionally. I think he was signed as a striker with the possible intention of letting Ameobi go eventually and maybe to replace Viduka long-term, or both.

I think Martins carries arguably our biggest goal threat so I agree, however he does require a number of chances to get on the scoresheet, perhaps more than Owen, and Sam being into his stats and whatnot, perhaps Owen just gets the nod. I'd ditch Owen though and start Martins alongside either Smith or Viduka because of his pace, explosiveness and his ability to harass which Owen rarely does.

Regarding Sam whinging it - well this is one job that will find him out so we'll know if he really is whinging it  the longer he is in the job. His Bolton record suggests to me though he's not as daft as he looks. There really is a lot of method to his madness.

I don't think Smith was brought in with the idea of letting Ameobi go, I remember quotes from Allardyce when he spoke of his four strikers naming Owen, Viduka, Oba and Shola, he also spoke about English target men and said there was only Crouch, Davies and Ameobi out there.

Guest Knightrider

One thing to note, if we give SA the time to buy all the players he wants for a 4-3-3 and then he fails, we're royally fucked. The next manager will have to have ANOTHER overhaul of the squad because he'll most likely be wanting to play a 4-4-2 (as most managers do).

On the other hand, if SA can change his mindset and continue with the 4-4-2 then even if he fails, the players will be there for the next manager.

The obvious thing to do is bring in another manager who also prefers the 4-3-3 formation.

Who? Mourinho?

None of the managers we were linked with after Roeder left and who we could possibly attract prefers the 4-3-3. Not Houllier, Eriksson, Van Gaal, Koeman etc.

If Ashley gives Sam the cash to spend and SA decides to go with the 4-3-3, there's little room for failure. We'll be left with a squad bereft of players who excel in a 4-4-2 and would struggle to attract a good manager presuming that Allardyce left when we were in the shits.

4-3-3 demands versatile players and players that are comfortable on the ball, intelligent players basically. Players who I'm sure can adapt back to 4-4-2 or another system without too many problems. Btw Sam will drill a default system into his players anyway, as he did at Bolton. 4-4-2 in fact.

Guest Knightrider

To your first question HTT. I ask because it's clear you've put in the time and thought to really analyze the future movements of Big Sam. I personally can hardly ever be bothered to type more than one 5 line paragraph. I reckon Sam pays you to be his internet street-team.. telling us he knows what he's doing.

I too thought Smith was Viduka's replacement, i'm not so sure anymore. More likely the Dyer replacement.

Oba is more likely to nick a goal in an away game where we are under the kosh. He has the ability to score from absolutely nothing, with either foot, from anywhere around the 25 yard area. Owen can't do this, he needs the ball in the box. His inclusion in the team smacks me of someone scared to drop the star player.

He's manager of Newcastle United. We have managed to avoid a relegation battle with managers like Souness and Roeder. We aren't getting relegated. We don't need 4-5 short term signings.

My thoughts on Big Sam are borne out of close study of him, his methods and watching a hell of a lot of Bolton over the years because I've always thought "he'd do for us" so I like to think I have a good understanding of his methods and what not and an insight into how he thinks.

I don't buy into Big Sam's comments about Smith replacing Dyer, as a body maybe, but not positionally. I think he was signed as a striker with the possible intention of letting Ameobi go eventually and maybe to replace Viduka long-term, or both.

I think Martins carries arguably our biggest goal threat so I agree, however he does require a number of chances to get on the scoresheet, perhaps more than Owen, and Sam being into his stats and whatnot, perhaps Owen just gets the nod. I'd ditch Owen though and start Martins alongside either Smith or Viduka because of his pace, explosiveness and his ability to harass which Owen rarely does.

Regarding Sam whinging it - well this is one job that will find him out so we'll know if he really is whinging it  the longer he is in the job. His Bolton record suggests to me though he's not as daft as he looks. There really is a lot of method to his madness.

I don't think Smith was brought in with the idea of letting Ameobi go, I remember quotes from Allardyce when he spoke of his four strikers naming Owen, Viduka, Oba and Shola, he also spoke about English target men and said there was only Crouch, Davies and Ameobi out there.

I stand corrected then. I actually thought Ameobi would do well under Big Sam but doesn't seem to get a look in, perhaps the manager doesn't rate him. Interesting he talked about Crouch, maybe we'll be after him in January? Would be a good signing and while this may shock some I'd personally trade Owen for him if that was the deal.

I stand corrected then. I actually thought Ameobi would do well under Big Sam but doesn't seem to get a look in, perhaps the manager doesn't rate him. Interesting he talked about Crouch, maybe we'll be after him in January? Would be a good signing and while this may shock some I'd personally trade Owen for him if that was the deal.

On Crouch.

I'f you're going to play like monkeys you buy a zoo.

Guest Knightrider

I hope your right HTT.

Part of my recent disdain for Big Sam is how quickly another manager (Sven) has got his team playing his football successfully. I thought Sam would start better than Sven.

btw why Aidy Boothroyd?

I'm not bothered about City, different clubs different circumstances. For all we know, if the jobs were reversed, part of your recent disdain for Sven could be based on how quickly another manager (Sam) has got his team playing his football successfully. See my point?

Why Boothroyd? Because he thinks outside of the box and has interesting opinions on the game and management which first alerted me to him, then he got Watford promoted, relegated and has them top of the Championship based on nothing more than a set of philosophies, I like managers who work by philosophies and not old skool text books (hence Big Sam). I think he might make a name for himself as a manager and is one I've got my eye on, someone who I'll look out for. Look at for Boothroydforthetoon.com and Boothroyd dossiers ;)

Guest Knightrider

I'm not convinced Allardyce really undrstands the 433 as well as HTT.

Why thank you Parky, although in relation to our esteemed manager, I'd have to politely disagree  :thup:

PS Shhh, I'm whinging it so far ;)

I hope your right HTT.

Part of my recent disdain for Big Sam is how quickly another manager (Sven) has got his team playing his football successfully. I thought Sam would start better than Sven.

btw why Aidy Boothroyd?

I'm not bothered about City, different clubs different circumstances. For all we know, if the jobs were reversed, part of your recent disdain for Sven could be based on how quickly another manager (Sam) has got his team playing his football successfully. See my point?

Why Boothroyd? Because he thinks outside of the box and has interesting opinions on the game and management which first alerted me to him, then he got Watford promoted, relegated and has them top of the Championship based on nothing more than a set of philosophies, I like managers who work by philosophies and not old skool text books (hence Big Sam). I think he might make a name for himself as a manager and is one I've got my eye on, someone who I'll look out for. Look at for Boothroydforthetoon.com and Boothroyd dossiers ;)

Good spot.

They spent 8 mill on elano didn't they ?

I think sam was told he had so much this summer so he got every player he went for in his price bracket perhaps.

Its quite clear that sam had to sell to buy ffs he could only buy smith once dyer went same with barton after parker went. That does not strike me as someone who had 50mill to spend like

Guest Knightrider

On Crouch.

I don't get the stick Crouch gets

Scores goals - check

Creates goals - check

Works hard - check

Has good technique - check

Good option up front - check

Like Sam, he's not as daft as he looks, although ideally I'd prefer a more rounded striker at the club but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if we were interested as he's a good proven player ideal for 4-3-3.

Guest Knightrider

I hope he does get the time, talk of sack now is absurd, but football is an impatient game, its a money game now and the more money, the less time there is to get it right. Its the high pressure of the football world at the top, its why Sam clears in a week more than 80% of the UK population does in a year. So taking that into consideration, his job is also to get it right now, as well as later on, thats really all i'm saying.

Money does play a part but as any successful business man will know, you make even more money when you are consistently producing the goods and that can only come from having a sound business plan with good foundations. I'm sure Big Sam will get enough time, providing fans stay onside.

The formation change hasn't worked, as we've looked stale in attack, and disorganised at the back. The results have been to the wire most games, and we could of been looking a lot worse bar a couple of incidents, this worryingly after the easiest start i've seen on paper to an EPL season for us. IMO we'd have done better in a settled 442 from the start of the season, but really there is no way to prove that.

We look stale in attack and disorganised regardless of what formation we play or who plays where, although having said that we've had no problem scoring goals at home so things can't be too stale up front. I probably agree we'd have done better in a settled 4-4-2 from the start but it would only get ripped up in a year's time anyway, so why not start as you mean to go on? Of course that's impacted results and performances but I don't think by any large swing due to us being a sub standard team regardless, so its swings and roundabouts only in the near future, we'll be much better off for it and that's what everyone has to focus on, which I'm sure Mort and Ashley are doing.

Well fingers crossed it all pans out the way you are hoping. I'd take all what you are saying as long as it happens. There's nothing really to argue about what you are saying, i just think the outcome could be different, but i hope you are right and it works out the way you are talking.

Aye, despite my optimism and faith I think with Big Sam it will either be success or disaster and no middle ground.

On Crouch.

Scores goals - check

Creates goals - check

Works hard - check

Like Sam, he's not as daft as he looks, although ideally I'd prefer a more rounded striker at the club but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if we were interested as he's a good proven player ideal for 4-3-3.

Pace and movement the lynchpin of the 433 for a forward nocheck.

They spent 8 mill on elano didn't they ?

I think sam was told he had so much this summer so he got every player he went for in his price bracket perhaps.

Its quite clear that sam had to sell to buy ffs he could only buy smith once dyer went same with barton after parker went. That does not strike me as someone who had 50mill to spend like

Smith was signed before Dyer left, we held out for more money if you remember, we also spent another £10 million after Dyer had gone and Smith had arrived.

Guest Knightrider

On Crouch.

Scores goals - check

Creates goals - check

Works hard - check

Pace and movement the lynchpin of the 433 for a forward nocheck.

Ah that old chestnut, pace. I prefer mobility and intelligence myself which Crouch has. Centrally pace isn't too important anyway, Davies never had any and Bolton were successful using 4-3-3. Providing you have pace either side of course.