Too many foreign players?

Parky

Well all I can say is that it will be like going back to the seventies/eighties if they bring in quotas, whoopdedoo, we can watch a team full of Huntingdons, Carrolls and Chopras (ooh, Chopra - isn't that a FOREIGN name? We'll have to look at how we can stop the Chopras of this world playing here as well). And look at all the trophies England won in the 70s and 80s - and 90s when we had only a few foreigners in the Leagues.....

Oh.

Steven Gerrard urges limit on foreign players

By Henry Winter and Tim Rich

Last Updated: 1:54am GMT 15/11/2007

Steven Gerrard, England's captain for tomorrow's friendly in Austria, said last night that he feared for the future of the national team if the Premier League did not introduce quotas to stimulate the development of young English talent.

England are struggling to qualify for Euro 2008, and two of the myriad reasons behind their troubles are the paucity of technically-adept, tactically-aware footballers coming through and then being given a chance in a Premier League crammed with gifted imports.

National plea: Steven Gerrard has called for Premier League quotas

"If foreigners do take over completely it will affect the national team even worse than maybe it is now,'" Gerrard said. "It's no good having one of the best Premier Leagues and a national team that's struggling. It's important to keep bringing quality players in - the likes of Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen - otherwise the national team will struggle.

"I am definitely all for quotas. I'm all for a rule change. Something has got to happen otherwise there will be more and more foreigners and they will take over. I'm desperate for another young English player to come through from the Liverpool Academy into the Liverpool team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=EUURIOETHXHSTQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/sport/2007/11/15/sfnfro115.xml

has he been for  walk through toxteth lately

If we limit the number of foriegn players, english players won't have to play as well, improve, etc, to get in their club sides.

And we'd be even worse.

How good would Ashley Cole or someone like that be right now if they had been given a place by right at 18 without the threat of some johhny foreigner taking their place if they played s****.

I repeat players from outside the EU zone. We would still  have plenty of Euro players.

Your argument cuts both ways Parky. Whilst true that the European players will still provide competition, if you follow the argument of limiting players outside EU because they stiffle development of English players, then on the same logic unlimited number of European players would do the same. In fact if anything there are far more European players in the Premier League than those outside of EU.

Even if foreign players do stiffle development of English players, then it has to be an all or nothing proposal, you can't make arbitrary demarcation based on country or region.

I personally think Gerrard is speaking horsecrap. The failure of the English team is not because English players are not good enough but they are unable to replicate club form when playing for the national team and that has nothing to do with the number of foreign players in the Premier League.

Blaiming foreign players is a lazy excuse.

If we limit the number of foriegn players, english players won't have to play as well, improve, etc, to get in their club sides.

And we'd be even worse.

How good would Ashley Cole or someone like that be right now if they had been given a place by right at 18 without the threat of some johhny foreigner taking their place if they played s****.

I repeat players from outside the EU zone. We would still  have plenty of Euro players.

Your argument cuts both ways Parky. Whilst true that the European players will still provide competition, if you follow the argument of limiting players outside EU because they stiffle development of English players, then on the same logic unlimited number of European players would do the same. In fact if anything there are far more European players in the Premier League than those outside of EU.

Even if foreign players do stiffle development of English players, then it has to be an all or nothing proposal, you can't make arbitrary demarcation based on country or region.

I personally think Gerrard is speaking horsecrap. The failure of the English team is not because English players are not good enough but they are unable to replicate club form when playing for the national team and that has nothing to do with the number of foreign players in the Premier League.

i belive you should do somethings to limit foreign players, as done previously by age limits, you cant sign any foreign players until the age of 18 you would automaticly build a new basis....

but limit outside eu would be stupid, already done and wont prove any good as i would guess 90% of all foreign players in the prem is from inside the EU!

I am Newcastle fun first and foremost and the cap thing will restrain ourself as well imagin our lining up.

Given

Beye  Faye Rozy Enrique

N' zogbia  Emre Germi Duff

Viduka   Martins

No Englishman in this line up and inorder to close the gap to the big teams we still needs to sign top quality foreign player at least for the next couple of years.  

Also not by any stretch our best line-up, so what's your point?

And we'd be even worse.

Bar a couple the preferred strikers at the top clubs don't qualify for England..

Chelsea-Drogba

Liv-Torres-Kuyt

Arsenal-VP-Adebayor

Spurs-Keane

Pompey-Benjani

ManC-Bianchi-Bojinov

etc...