Jose Enrique

Ally

I agree with Ally, I've been seeing posts on here praising to him to the hilt, yet that's not what I have been witnessing. I've seen a defender play more long balls than Warren Barton did and look thoroughly unconvincing when it comes to defending. I expected so much more from him from what people were saying he was like at Villarael.

you watch teams like everton, liverpool and arsenal today. we haven't played like that since sirbob left. we always appear to be playing with 9 men who can't pick out a pass.

Makes you think, why the f*** can't my team play like that, doesn't it.

aye :(

Really is amazing how scared we are to pass the ball and it's been this way for too long now.

Forget Everton! Teams like Reading, Birmingham, West Ham and even Fulham are passing the ball with more confidence than we are.

Guest optimistic nit

I agree with Ally, I've been seeing posts on here praising to him to the hilt, yet that's not what I have been witnessing. I've seen a defender play more long balls than Warren Barton did and look thoroughly unconvincing when it comes to defending. I expected so much more from him from what people were saying he was like at Villarael.

that could read for cacapa, rozy, viduka, martins, emre, barton and beye as well though.

you watch teams like everton, liverpool and arsenal today. we haven't played like that since sirbob left. we always appear to be playing with 9 men who can't pick out a pass.

Really is amazing how scared we are to pass the ball and it's been this way for too long now.

Forget Everton! Teams like Reading, Birmingham, West Ham and even Fulham are passing the ball with more confidence than we are.

I don't like to blame the fans because they're well within their right to boo if what is being served up is dross, but I do think the effect it has on players, especially new lads is underestimated.

even from barton's day.....watch how many times he plays it in the right place there,as barton did and got crucified for,and then watch how many other teams use it as a good tactic. he's not helped by having n'zogbia outside.

(not a rant against n'zogbia but i feel n'zog is best suited with an experienced full back to tell him where to position himself)

I don't like to blame the fans because they're well within their right to boo if what is being served up is dross, but I do think the effect it has on players, especially new lads is underestimated.

Except we were doing this from the outset of the season even when optimism was sky high.

that could read for cacapa, rozy, viduka, martins, emre, barton and beye as well though.

IMO I think it's much harder to get noticed as a good full back. I'm in the 'Jury Still Out' camp when it comes to Beye, but today he was fantastic and that was in a central role. I can't personally think of anything Beye has done wrong to sour my opinion.

The same can probably be said for Enrique. He's had moments where he's been both poor and great, yet you could argue for the most part he's been unmemorable. Saying that, when he's played I can't remember us getting dominated round down the left.

Except we were doing this from the outset of the season even when optimism was sky high.

Some of of these players haven't played in this league, let alone played together before. You can't expect players to have an almost telepathic ability when it comes to passing etc straight away. That's something that needs to be worked on. It's arguable that we should've seen an improvement already but our current form can't have helped matters.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm amazed nobody has started a similar thread about Rozehnal tbh. He's been our poorest defender this season.

aye, i agree. not going to judge him yet either mind.

I'm amazed nobody has started a similar thread about Rozehnal tbh. He's been our poorest defender this season IMO.

He started well but today he was outshone by an out of position Beye.

Poor on the 2nd goal but made some class tackles and blocks.

I'm amazed nobody has started a similar thread about Rozehnal tbh. He's been our poorest defender this season IMO.

Beye carried him. As Faye did at sunderland, and as Cacapa did before that, and as Taylor did before that. Whoever plays alongside Roz is in for a busy afternoon.

Getting back to Enrique, I think he's coped well in a poor defence and a poor team. Faye hasn't been anything special on the face of it, but he's got all the praise he has because he's coped well. As someone already mentioned, when Enrique plays we are rarely dominated down that side. It's the measure of a full back defensively. Notice how Liverpool targetted our right side today, for instance.

I'm amazed nobody has started a similar thread about Rozehnal tbh. He's been our poorest defender this season.

was doing fine till citeh.

cacapa good till the explosion

faye dominant in the air,ropey on the deck

beye juries out at right back looked ok today at centre half

enrique ok till today

taylor capable of better than he has been

the defence.............................who can tell if the defending throughout the team is woeful. after a while lack of confidence will show itself in individual mistakes.

Poor on the 2nd goal but made some class tackles and blocks.

He was pap more like it.

Guest optimistic nit

Beye carried him. As Faye did at sunderland, and as Cacapa did before that, and as Taylor did before that. Whoever plays alongside Roz is in for a busy afternoon.

Getting back to Enrique, I think he's coped well in a poor defence and a poor team. Faye hasn't been anything special on the face of it, but he's got all the praise he has because he's coped well. As someone already mentioned, when Enrique plays we are rarely dominated down that side. It's the measure of a full back defensively. Notice how Liverpool targetted our right side today, for instance.

i wouldn't go that far, he's not been god awful, only poor.

Makes you think, why the fuck can't my team play like that, doesn't it.

Watching teams like Derby, Sunderland and Bolton make me wonder why my team don't seem capable of playing like that, and not looking like they have met for the first time at 12:45 on a Saturday afternoon.  But watching us for the past few years has made me think that.

the defence.............................who can tell if the defending throughout the team is woeful. after a while lack of confidence will show itself in individual mistakes.

I agree there.

roz should play RB, he's far quicker to be able to get up and down the field

Torres turned him inside out on several occasions, he turns like the titanic. He'd get run ragged left in one-on-ones against a tricky winger.

He's wrong-footed so easily, he ball-watches, he fails to track players and he's bad in the air. He needs a lot of work. He's alright on the ball, but off it he's nowhere close to PL standard at the minute.