Champs League Revamp

Guest K9

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7120518.stm

Uefa is set to revamp the Champions League on Friday with the top three clubs in the Premier League qualifying for the group stages from 2009.

Under the plans, the fourth-placed side will now face a play-off against a team from another of Europe's leagues.

The Scottish champions will also go straight into the group stages but the runners-up face two qualifying rounds.

Previously in England, the top two sides qualified by right and the next two joined the third qualifying round.

It is likely the fourth-placed Premier League side will face a tougher play-off compared to playing in the third qualifying round of the Champions League against weaker opponents.

In Scotland, the champions have previously needed to come through a qualifying round.

Saturday night, not sure about that. :undecided:

where did you read it was on a night?  Got the impression it was going to be in the afternoon.  Good old 3 o'clock Saturday and all that...

Just heard Saturday night/evening mentioned on the radio, checked the articles and it doesn't actually say that.

Even so, I like the fact the Champions League is played on midweek nights, a shame to change it IMO. Though I can't really explain why.

I can see it where they're coming from in a sense.  For a lot of people (obviously none of us) to watch your team in say, Athens, would mean taking a Wednesday off work, and more than likely a Thursday.  Then you're probably still celebrating until the weekend so count the Friday too.  Whereas if its on a Saturday, at a push you might only need the Friday off.  Hence it is better for families.

But then I could say are Champions League finals really a "family event" etc.

I can see where Platini is coming from, but then again there isn't too much wrong with Wednesday.

How much does it cost to get there and go to the game though? A fortune whatever night it's on no doubt. I bet it'll cost fans loads more to stay the weekend, purely because they'll be competing with tourists for accomodation etc. The prices will probably rocket as a consequence IMO.

Three days off work to possibly celebrate winning the most prestigious competition in club football is nothing if you can afford to go in the first place. And it's better to have the weekend tacked onto that to recover. ;)