Ashley wants Capello. In other news winged pig sighted.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can't say i know much about Capello apart from that he did well at madrid, then got sacked.  Has he ever stayed anywhere long?

Won Champions League and countless Serie A titles in a long spell at Milan, went to Real Madrid won La Liga came back to Serie A and won it with both Roma then Juventus before going back to Real Madrid and winning La Liga again both titles in Spain came in first and only season each time but Real are even more fickle than us re managers.

Like most I think Sam deserves time but have a few doubts, I liked the comparison with Sir Bobby Robson in a different topic.  However again like most if he (Capello) was interested than it's a no brainer he's up there with Sir Alex, Wenger and Jose

Also because we have just hired him, Sam can probably spend money better than him too, Sam is better suited to our club as he makes crap/old players better (over time, not 14 games, so shh).

Guest johnson293

I'll stick with Sam, thanks.

because he's won so much in his football career

So had Dalglish, and Gullit (as both players and managers) and Sir Bobby (as manager) - just shows, winning things elsewhere means nowt when they get here!!

So had Dalglish, and Gullit (as both players and managers) and Sir Bobby (as manager) - just shows, winning things elsewhere means nowt when they get here!!

To be fair - we would have won something if we had of stuck with Sir B.Robinson. ;(

Guest optimistic nit

To be fair - we would have won something if we had of stuck with Sir B.Robinson. ;(

i really doubt that.

;D Is he married to Mrs Robinson? Cuz she could have helped us win something!

Guest johnson293

i really doubt that.

Me too - I think Sir Bobby had taken the team as far as he could - and I wasn't totally against him being replaced as manager - it was just the manner, timing and replacement that put us in the sh*t!!

Should have happend at the end of the previous season, and a proper replacement lined (much like we did with Allardyce), but with Bobby moving 'upstairs' and staying at the club.

Fair enough it was a flippent comment but ...

Also because we have just hired him, Sam can probably spend money better than him too, Sam is better suited to our club as he makes crap/old players better (over time, not 14 games, so shh).

I said in my original post that he does deserve time but I don't really want to watch crap/old players and how can you seriously think that a man who has managed Bolton will spend transfer budget better than a man who has maanaged some of the biggest and best clubs in Europe?  and he prolonged the careers of several aging players at Milan and Juventus and look at the improvements in Beckham's form towards the end of last season.

Comparing capello to big sam is Comparing Lion to dog and every member of this forum should know this. Aguy who didn't win the tiny carling cup compare to a guy who won everything there is to be won with in his career is insane. If Ashley want to have some one in his caliber it would be great and weather big sam wants time or deserve time I would take Capello any day of the week.

I just can't see Capello operating very well with the amount of money we will be able to give him. Where as Sam will be able to do a better job with that.

Comparing someone that has spent a lot of money on players in amazing teams to a guy that has spent next to nothing with a crappy team  is insane mate.

And I still think we would have kept improving with SBR. His record at every club he's been at indicates this, even if we had a dip in form 1 season (the season he got sacked), I reckon he would have replaced the bad players and sorted it all out again. But I guess we will never know. However I would much rather have stuck with SBR than have Souness and Roeder replace him.

As for Beckhams career, Capello did nothing to help that out, other than playing him.

However I would much rather have stuck with SBR than have Souness and Roeder replace him.

I think the problem was we just expected some great manager to want the job then ended up scrapping around with the likes of Steve Bruce and Souness, i would have liked to have seen what big sam could have done with the team sir bobby left, was a good strong squad with a weak defence, that team with the likes of Faye/Rozenhal etc in the defence could have done big things

Bit like ditching your wife to have a shot at getting jessica alba. then even if you do get a date will you even get on.

Ditch the wife after Jessica says yes.

Crossaints, orange juice and a red rose in bed for wifey the next morning if Jessica says no. She'll never find out.

No lose situation.

Guest johnson293

And I still think we would have kept improving with SBR. His record at every club he's been at indicates this, even if we had a dip in form 1 season (the season he got sacked), I reckon he would have replaced the bad players and sorted it all out again.

Biggest problem at the time was Shepherd though - loads of stuff been written that suggests he was underminign Robson, and buying selling players himself - The Woodgate and Speed sales, and 'alleged' Rooney bids being the most well reported.

The chairman had clearly lost confidence/faith in Robson, so probably wouldn't have backed him for too many players had he left him in charge anyway.

As I said above, I felt it was the right time for Robson to step down at the end of the season before (after losing in the UEFA to Marseille, and finishing 5th). While finishing 5th was still good, the results had been slipping away, and there were the same rumours as now about him l'osing the dressing room'. We should have moved him to Director of Football or similar, and installed a new manager at the end of the season, giving the new man the whole summer, while keeping Sir Bobby at the club in a new role.

We all know what happened, and the rest is history, and the damage done is still being repaired now.

And I still think we would have kept improving with SBR. His record at every club he's been at indicates this, even if we had a dip in form 1 season (the season he got sacked), I reckon he would have replaced the bad players and sorted it all out again.

Biggest problem at the time was Shepherd though - loads of stuff been written that suggests he was underminign Robson, and buying selling players himself - The Woodgate and Speed sales, and 'alleged' Rooney bids being the most well reported.

The chairman had clearly lost confidence/faith in Robson, so probably wouldn't have backed him for too many players had he left him in charge anyway.

As I said above, I felt it was the right time for Robson to step down at the end of the season before (after losing in the UEFA to Marseille, and finishing 5th). While finishing 5th was still good, the results had been slipping away, and there were the same rumours as now about him l'osing the dressing room'. We should have moved him to Director of Football or similar, and installed a new manager at the end of the season, giving the new man the whole summer, while keeping Sir Bobby at the club in a new role.

We all know what happened, and the rest is history, and the damage done is still being repaired now.

in fairness to Robson he would have played Bellamy and Kluivert up front the season he got sacked. Would have spent the January money on a good centre half and full back (not Boum and baba) and finished top 4 quite possibly, 5th/6th worst case senario

in the summer 05, Souness spent £40m. Had Robson been given this type of money we'd be challenging for something, but it's unlikely we'd have won anything in fairness, especially with his deteriorating health