Interesting Quote from Capello

Guest JamesD

"You have to find a way to play according to the players you have in the squad - never stick to one system" - Fabio Capello

I thought this was quite relevent to how our teams been playing this year.  Any thoughts?

Guest The Libertine

that idea doesnt really apply to a manager who can pick any player he wants. he can have a system and pick players accordingly.

that idea doesnt really apply to a manager who can pick any player he wants. he can have a system and pick players accordingly.

Not quite. A manager is still governed by the attributes of the players who have sufficient quality to compete at international level.

For example, if it was me I may prefer England to play with loads of width in a 4-4-2 by using outright touchline hugging wingers and 2 holding players....but we don't have players of sufficient quality so I'd be forced into the selection of players more able to play a narrower 4-4-2.

I may prefer a 4-4-2 with one of the strikers of a Beardsley or Sheringham type, who dropped deep and linked play, but if we don't have this type of player I might be forced into a Shearer/Ferdinand type of thing and an entirely different way of playing.

I may want to play 3 at the back and if I had the right players I could do it, if I don't have the right players then I can't do it because you can't force square pegs into round holes. You must adapt the system you want to play and use players to their strengths. Just because someone may be the manager of a national team doesn't mean the players are there for all of these ways of playing. I'd suggest 3 at the back as a classic example for England.

So he's right of course.

Guest Redcar Mag

"You have to find a way to play according to the players you have in the squad - never stick to one system" - Fabio Capello

I thought this was quite relevent to how our teams been playing this year.  Any thoughts?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/16/sfntea116.xml

Read this article yesterday. He seems adept at changing his system to suit the situation. We'll have to see if English players brought up on vanilla 4-4-2 can adapt as easily.

Guest The Libertine

No, but how many decent, experienced players does he actually have to choose from?

he's got a whole countries worth. a country which had very high hopes of wining the last world cup and next years euro tournament. so, enough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/16/sfntea116.xml

Read this article yesterday. He seems adept at changing his system to suit the situation. We'll have to see if English players brought up on vanilla 4-4-2 can adapt as easily.

I'd prefer a chocolate 433.

No, but how many decent, experienced players does he actually have to choose from?

he's got a whole countries worth. a country which had very high hopes of wining the last world cup and next years euro tournament. so, enough.

You forgot to mention that the very high hopes were due to media hype and that the players are vastly over-rated.....

I don't know anybody (any England fan) who believed England had a hope in hell of winning the World Cup and everyone I knew thought the Euro qualifying group wouldn't be the walk in the park the media seemed to believe.

Guest The Libertine

Not quite. A manager is still governed by the attributes of the players who have sufficient quality to compete at international level.

For example, if it was me I may prefer England to play with loads of width in a 4-4-2 by using outright touchline hugging wingers and 2 holding players....but we don't have players of sufficient quality so I'd be forced into the selection of players more able to play a narrower 4-4-2.

I may prefer a 4-4-2 with one of the strikers of a Beardsley or Sheringham type, who dropped deep and linked play, but if we don't have this type of player I might be forced into a Shearer/Ferdinand type of thing and an entirely different way of playing.

I may want to play 3 at the back and if I had the right players I could do it, if I don't have the right players then I can't do it because you can't force square pegs into round holes. You must adapt the system you want to play and use players to their strengths. Just because someone may be the manager of a national team doesn't mean the players are there for all of these ways of playing. I'd suggest 3 at the back as a classic example for England.

So he's right of course.

so from a whole countries worth a talent you couldnt find the one or 2 players needed to make your system complete? not buying that at all.

Plenty of the England team don't play in a conventional 4-4-2 with their clubs though.

But they participate in teams packed with foreigners.

True. Just the idea that they're stuck playing in rigid 4-4-2 formations isn't correct.

Guest The Libertine

You forgot to mention that the very high hopes were due to media hype and that the players are vastly over-rated.....

robinson, cole, ferdinand, terry, neville, gerrard, cole, lampard, beckham, rooney and owen. that team could have won the world cup if managed correctly. greece won euro 2004 with significantly less.

So he's right of course.

so from a whole countries worth a talent you couldnt find the one or 2 players needed to make your system complete? not buying that at all.

That's the gist of it, yes.

Can't say I'm fussed what you're buying or not buying, tbh.

I don't think that 'team' is that good though. I can't see Capello attempting to accomodate that midfield for example, because that's what playing Gerrard, Cole, Lampard and Beckham would be doing.

robinson, cole, ferdinand, terry, neville, gerrard, cole, lampard, beckham, rooney and owen. that team could have won the world cup if managed correctly. greece won euro 2004 with significantly less.

How easy it is to fall into the trap of believing the media hype.

After saying that, it's not media hype that should tell you that what matters is the TEAM. That's common sense.

I don't think that 'team' is that good though. I can't see Capello attempting to accomodate that midfield for example, because that's what playing Gerrard, Cole, Lampard and Beckham would be doing.

You beat me to it, Alex.

Listing those players shows quite clearly that the bloke has no grasp of the team concept.

Guest The Libertine

on paper, its a better team than most. its the poor management/tactics that made it not good enough.

Guest The Libertine

You beat me to it, Alex.

Listing those players shows quite clearly that the bloke has no grasp of the team concept.

"the bloke" as in sven? as thats what team he often picked.

I thought the quote was interesting because of its relevance to Newcastle and how it seems that in order to play his formation, Allardyce has to resort to quite a few square pegs in round holes when the players we have could be much more productive in a different set-up.

on paper, its a better team than most. its the poor management/tactics that made it not good enough.

Imo it's the poor management/tactics that led to that team being selected. Just going back to the midfield there is zero pace, no width and the two central midfielders want to do the same job. I think you have a point in a way about the management/tactics and I certainly think McLaren should have seen us qualify, even if him not doing that isn't that big a surprise. The point is though, that team doesn't work together. They are a good group of individuals but you're better off with Carrick or Hargreaves (even though they are different types of player) alongside Gerrard instead of trying to play Lampard and Gerrard just because they're both 'world class'.

Imo it's the poor management/tactics that led to that team being selected. Just going back to the midfield there is zero pace, no width and the two central midfielders want to do the same job. I think you have a point in a way about the management/tactics and I certainly think McLaren should have seen us qualify, even if him not doing that isn't that big a surprise. The point is though, that team doesn't work together. They are a good group of individuals but you're better off with Carrick or Hargreaves (even though they are different types of player) alongside Gerrard instead of trying to play Lampard and Gerrard just because they're both 'world class'.

Agree completely.

England might not have 2 dozen world-beaters, but half the England side was in the CL semis last year, so they ain't bad...

Capello's a pragmatist before anything else. He's got a great track record of covering deficiencies and  exploiting strengths in squads. I hope he'll play a 3-5-2 with wing-backs.

Guest ObaStar

Ok, the england team was clearly not over rated.

Ashley Cole is one of the best LB's in the world

Terry and Ferdinand, both spectacular

Garry Neville, very good and very experienced.

The midfield was incredible, Gerrard and Lampard are easily among the top 5 midfielders in the premiership. (Ronaldo, Fabregas Essien as well)

In Beckham you have great experience as well as the best striker of a dead ball in the world. Then you also have Joe Cole, Aaron Lennon, Hargreaves, Carrick etc

Attack Rooney and Owen who are two of the best strikers in the world.

That is clearly a squad capable of winning the world cup. There is no weakness except in the GK position