Mort Expects Arrivals

Dave

I don't think anything can be read into those comments tbh or anything else until the window slams shut and we can see what's what with our own two eyes, i.e. based on who we buy and how many, or who we don't buy if any. Sensible words though from the Chairman.

nothing other than conservative unambitious claptrap from start to finish

We'll spend more in this window than we did in the last January transfer window under the previous board.

Will we buy a player of the calibre of Woodgate, beating off our rivals and paying the money, and will we match those Champions League qualifications in the long run ?

Since when did we buy Woodgate last January?  We certainly didn't qualify for the Champions League either..

Didn't we spend less (net) the summer just gone than the summer before though?

I don't think anything can be read into those comments tbh or anything else until the window slams shut and we can see what's what with our own two eyes, i.e. based on who we buy and how many, or who we don't buy if any. Sensible words though from the Chairman.

nothing other than conservative unambitious claptrap from start to finish

We'll spend more in this window than we did in the last January transfer window under the previous board.

Will we buy a player of the calibre of Woodgate, beating off our rivals and paying the money, and will we match those Champions League qualifications in the long run ?

Since when did we buy Woodgate last January?  We certainly didn't qualify for the Champions League either..

I didn't say we did. I said I hope the club can target a top player and beat our rivals to him by getting in first and paying the money necessary, like the old board did in the January transfer window when they bought Woodgate. The only difference being that at the present moment, we need a forward and not a defender, as somebody at the club decided not to do it in August.

Fact is the last board proved their ambition numerous times over, including backing the manager to buy your idol Luque, mistake it may have been, but they proved their ambition and the choice of player lies then with the manager.

The current board haven't done anything like it yet, this is a fact. People may not like this as it doesn't suit their "opinion" but its true, and if they run a tight club putting balancing the books first and don't match the ambition of the top 4, as the old board did which is why were up there for a few seasons at least, we will never catch them in a million years.

It's quite astonishing the hypocrisy shown by some people when advocating the old board "splash the cash" all the time and now talk about spending years scouting around looking for kids and bargains, and the very very outside chance that some sort of grand 5 year plan on these lines will lead to success. It's this sort of insinuation from the club that is bothering me. It won't work, and those that think it will are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Would you not say the board backed Allardyce for Barton? Baring in mind the fact most fans never wanted him, the board were fully aware of his past track record and by all accounts didn't want us to buy him, yet backed the manager who wasn't even their appointment completely on this, placing their full faith and trust in Allardyce to make it work.

True. I think Leazes is fair enough with some of his concerns and £9m net spend every summer won't get you far in the long run but it's too early to say too much one way or the other imo. Good to hear Mort talking about a couple of new faces coming in though.

True. I think Leazes is fair enough with some of his concerns and £9m net spend every summer won't get you far in the long run but it's too early to say too much one way or the other imo. Good to hear Mort talking about a couple of new faces coming in though.

I agree completely about the concerns over net spend, but also as you said I think it is too early to say so until we've given the board a proper chance. As was said by the way they went about things in the summer, when they held their strategic review, I don't think they fully anticipated what was needed at this club when they performed all of their due-dilligence. I'm prepared to give them time to see what they can do as they have impressed me, not with how Ashley sits with the fans etc but Mort's approach in particular, he's gained my trust so far from some of the things he has talked about.

Although I agree with Leazes on some aspects about the old board, people make comments on Shepherd, with their own personal bias, and the fact most comments relate to Shepherd the person who they all dislike, rather than Shepherd as a business man.

Would you not say the board backed Allardyce for Barton? Baring in mind the fact most fans never wanted him, the board were fully aware of his past track record and by all accounts didn't want us to buy him, yet backed the manager who wasn't even their appointment completely on this, placing their full faith and trust in Allardyce to make it work.

just replaced Parker though Johnny, and even THAT, now, is looking decidedly a mistake. With hindsight though. So I personally wouldn't criticise it on playing grounds, although people did say that something would happen ref Barton and they have been proved correct.

I've said this a few times, somebody at the club decided - even at the last minute - not to replace Solano and Dire. Who was it, and why ?

Our out and out forwards aren't really properly balanced either, and I'm not counting Ameobi, because the sooner he goes the better. I'd take 50 quid if we could get it.

I agree completely about the concerns over net spend, but also as you said I think it is too early to say so until we've given the board a proper chance. As was said by the way they went about things in the summer, when they held their strategic review, I don't think they fully anticipated what was needed at this club when they performed all of their due-dilligence. I'm prepared to give them time to see what they can do as they have impressed me, not with how Ashley sits with the fans etc but Mort's approach in particular, he's gained my trust so far from some of the things he has talked about.

Although I agree with Leazes on some aspects about the old board, people make comments on Shepherd, with their own personal bias, and the fact most comments relate to Shepherd the person who they all dislike, rather than Shepherd as a business man.

I've no problem whatsoever with people not liking Shepherd, but for me, its just completely irrelevant to the fact that the board showed ambition for the club. This is the sole reason they are there, and the most important thing they can do. I know Souness was a shocking appointment and now they have paid the price, but managers come and go, you are better off with an ambitous board than an unambitous board, the question of which is a complete no-brainer.

I can accept the new owner and chairman are learning, but they should have learned a few things by now.

I've no problem whatsoever with people not liking Shepherd, but for me, its just completely irrelevant to the fact that the board showed ambition for the club. This is the sole reason they are there, and the most important thing they can do. I know Souness was a shocking appointment and now they have paid the price, but managers come and go, you are better off with an ambitous board than an unambitous board, the question of which is a complete no-brainer.

I can accept the new owner and chairman are learning, but they should have learned a few things by now.

Which is what I'm saying the fact I believe a lot of people don't give Shepherd credit because they don't actually like him as a person.  :thup:

just replaced Parker though Johnny, and even THAT, now, is looking decidedly a mistake. With hindsight though. So I personally wouldn't criticise it on playing grounds, although people did say that something would happen ref Barton and they have been proved correct.

I've said this a few times, somebody at the club decided - even at the last minute - not to replace Solano and Dire. Who was it, and why ?

Our out and out forwards aren't really properly balanced either, and I'm not counting Ameobi, because the sooner he goes the better. I'd take 50 quid if we could get it.

Maybe on that line the players weren't actually available to replace them, even if Allardyce was looking for them. I know I'd rather see him try and get the players that he feels could improve the squad, rather than just buying for the sake of buying if you will. Something we obviously don't know what and why, so we're obviously both just speculating at the moment.

Which is what I'm saying the fact I believe a lot of people don't give Shepherd credit because they don't actually like him as a person.  :thup:

Aye. People like me have seen unambitious directors, and we have seen and heard what they say to mask their lack of ambition.

The current board need to make some sort of statement of intent [and I don't mean words] to show us they intend to continue to punch our weight, as we have done.  And financially, the sooner we are back in europe the better, and they should also concern themselves that with all this disruption, not to mention our upcoming fixtures, being relegated [or even coming close] will cost a lot more than the opposite if they can make the right moves now.

It is very nice to see Ashley and Mort giving good PR, but ultimately I personally don't care because its not what I want from them. Winning on the pitch is the best PR, and running a club that wins a trophy on the back of good league placings will win them a place in the clubs history and make him a man of the people a million times more than this.

Also don't think he should be sitting with his shirt on in the crowd either tbh.

Maybe on that line the players weren't actually available to replace them, even if Allardyce was looking for them. I know I'd rather see him try and get the players that he feels could improve the squad, rather than just buying for the sake of buying if you will. Something we obviously don't know what and why, so we're obviously both just speculating at the moment.

I realise this, but the club must have known that Solano was wanting to go, and he [sam] must have also known he was prepared to let Dire go, so they should really have had replacements in mind. If they do the right things now, or asap, then they have the benefit of the doubt on that. I don't accept Smith as a replacement for either, he may have been financially but this is the very thought that bothers me.

Even a short term half decent player ought to be brought in during this window, while waiting for the better player. I wouldn't worry about the money at all, if he performs they will get it back.

Also don't think he should be sitting with his shirt on in the crowd either tbh.

Why not?

He's completely entitled to.

Wrong vibes.

Wrong place.

He should sit in his seat in the directors box, detached from the supporters, as Bobby Robson said at the weekend.

seriously ne5, are you freddy sheperd? I imagine its hard for you to hold a decent conversation with anyone with your tongue firmly jammed in Sheperds arse. Some of the stuff you say is so stupid.

Can you tell me why no club likes spending in the January period?

Is it because they have no ambition?

Why is spending this January the only test of ambition according to you?

seriously ne5, are you freddy sheperd? I imagine its hard for you to hold a decent conversation with anyone with your tongue firmly jammed in Sheperds arse. Some of the stuff you say is so stupid.

Whats your problem? What Leazes is saying is perfectly acceptable in its manner and absolutley spot on.

Those of you who think our current playing staff are good enough are blinkered. They are not good enough, we do not have an Arteta, an Elano, a Muntari etc nor anyone near good enough for the top 4.

We need to invest in better players. Simple as.

Whats your problem? What Leazes is saying is perfectly acceptable in its manner and absolutley spot on.

Those of you who think our current playing staff are good enough are blinkered. They are not good enough, we do not have an Arteta, an Elano, a Muntari etc nor anyone near good enough for the top 4.

My problem is that, theres an agenda to criticize EVERY single thing that comes out of Morts mouth before anything definitive is done. Its so bloody tedious to hear an onslaught so unrelenting about one thing. Its all "ive heard it all before in the past from the shit directors so it must be the same today" Its flawed logic and a completely flawed argument after 6 months of ownership.

As far as im concerned its a clean slate with the new board and am sitting patiently to see what they have for us, becasue its ridiculous to think that the oweners will have anything but the success of the club on there mind.

I dont understand the view that we need to be aiming for the top 4 straight away, think about it man, its gonna be alot more expensive and difficult to break the top 4 straight away than it would be to break it in the long term.

If you and anyone else are too stupid to see the demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations of this club then you cant truly say you have the best interests of the club at heart.

Im actually asking valid questions as well.

Why do other clubs not like using the January trasfer period?

Anyone who thinks that a couple of signings would sort us out and get us flying up the list are slightly deluded as well.

Why not?

He's completely entitled to.

Wrong vibes.

Wrong place.

He should sit in his seat in the directors box, detached from the supporters, as Bobby Robson said at the weekend.

If anything I think it sends the right vibes and is the correct place. Cynics might just call it a PR exercise, I don't.

I'm not saying he is a proper genuine fan like you and I but if you were to buy NUFC would you rather sit in a box away from the heart of the supporters or mingle with them yourself and get involved and have some fun (admittedly not a lot at the moment)? Maybe we're just seeing it different because of the generation gap.

Sorry for being off-topic.

My problem is that, theres an agenda to criticize EVERY single thing that comes out of Morts mouth before anything definitive is done. Its so bloody tedious to hear an onslaught so unrelenting about one thing. Its all "ive heard it all before in the past from the shit directors so it must be the same today" Its flawed logic and a completely flawed argument after 6 months of ownership.

As far as im concerned its a clean slate with the new board and am sitting patiently to see what they have for us, becasue its ridiculous to think that the oweners will have anything but the success of the club on there mind.

I dont understand the view that we need to be aiming for the top 4 straight away, think about it man, its gonna be alot more expensive and difficult to break the top 4 straight away than it would be to break it in the long term.

If you and anyone else are too stupid to see the demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations of this club then you cant truly say you have the best interests of the club at heart.

Anyone who thinks that a couple of signings would sort us out and get us flying up the list are slightly deluded as well.

You clearly no nothing about football. Our team is one or two players away from being a good side. Did i mention us being as good as the top 4? No, the players mentioned play for City, Everton and Portsmouth. Thought i'd better point that out as you arent exactly showing an abundance of knowledge.

Woodgate, Vidic, Evra - 3 names to start us off.

Sorry for the tone but i went as low as saying 'blinkered' which is a very excusable trait. You then take it to 'stupid' but then show little understanding of football. I love Chris Mort, think he is spot on as a bloke and a chairman but as everyone on this board who goes to SJP with me knows, all i've been banging on about since game 10 of the season is the need to invest in better players.

Milner for one is a class example. Received the ball on half way from a quick free kick from Beye. He was 4 yards ahead of Petrov (who is quick). He had a 4 YARD HEAD START. What did he do? He checked his run as his pace is woeful, it could have been an excellent counter-attack. Canny squad player, dont get me wrong but we are in desperate need of improvement wide right.

Spot on about Milner, he has no pace, we are crying out for more pace in the team, not only physical but mental. We just look so pedestrian against decent teams like Citeh.

it really doesn't say much for you, that you think someone who doesn't agree with you - even when all I do is put up factual information - that you keep saying this. So much so, the only thing I can reply with is :

mackems.gif

Guest neesy111

chris mort doesn't have a clue about football, he wasn't even a fan of the sport before he came here, he knows how to run a business but not a football club

ashley needs to take the advice of bobby and start taking some decisions as apathy has set in

i suspect crowds of 30k next season the way things are going

It's massively tedious in the extreme to hear people like you harping on about your own agenda, and twisting things to make out that the last board brought to an end decades of glorious achievements, especially when it is pointed out clearly to you, via factual information, that the truth is the exact opposite.

As for the January window, money talks. If YOU have low ambitions for the club and think we can't punch our weight above clubs such as Blackburn for instance, then that is YOUR problem.

The irony that the last board have spent their time running the club and doing that to the best of their ability, is completely lost on you, so much so it leaves me thinking you don't have too much ambition for the club, or are seriously deluded if you think you can be successful without doing this.

I still have the feeling that with 2 astute signings placed in the right areas we could definately transform our results

I'd also love us to do some kind of swap deal with Ameobi too

They wouldn't even have to be that expensive!  Maybe a playmaker from the continent that can unlock a few doors would do just to tide us over, and get a bit more movement in the midfield!

I'd actually be tempted to raid some russian clubs for a little gem

you think Russian clubs still sell their players for next to nowt these days?Many are as rich as EPL clubs