Which of our players are good enough to help us finish top six?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only difference between Pompey's squad and ours is the midfield. Their defence is the same as ours, they've got a similar quality keeper and their strikers aren't special (Kanu, Benjani, Utaka and Nugent).

They've got quality in the middle of the park, but it's not going to take a massive sum of money to fix this problem for us. A good quality AMC and a RM will put us on their level imo.

And that's not going to cost £100m ;)

Yeah the only differance is thier central midfield is on another planet compared to ours.

And their strikers have pace, power, skill and youth.

Other than that the teams are similar. lol

Is it delusion day on here or is there summat about Ben Tozer you're not telling me?

As I've said, it's not about quality but balance.

Are Kanu, Benjani and Nugent better than Owen, Martins and Viduka as individuals or is it that the attributes that the Portsmouth players have are better suited to the way Redknapp sets the team up?

As for their midfield, kranjcar and Diop were bought for less than Allardyce paid for Barton, so these players don't cost the earth, I don't think either is particularly brilliant but they each have a role to play in making the team work and they do it well, we on the other hand don't have the same blend of players and instead have too many that share similar attributes.

Is it a fair assessment to compare ourselves with teams in higher positions whose players are in form?  Then say catergorically say that the difference in the side is the quality of players.

I suppose to get an objective view on it all to truly asses the difference in quality, we should be comparing the squads and trying to decide which team would win if both teams were on top form.  Tactics and formations aside.

With both teams on form with their respective squads i would say:

Man City would beat nufc

Nufc would beat Blackburn

Nufc would beat West ham

nufc would beat Everton

nufc would possibly beat Portsmouth.

Thats my personal view, *putting on tin hat*

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

Are you saying we have a better squad than Pompey?  O0

Not much difference in terms of quality tbh, Pompey have a better balance of players though with plenty of pace throughout.

That'll be a no then.

It means what I said it means, the standard of players throughout is around the same but Portsmouth have a better balance because their manager hasn't overloaded their squad with hard working players like ours has, similar to MON at Villa he's got the balance right with pace up top.

That doesn't mean Pompey shit all over us all over the park either.

Well the evidence says the opposite, as when they came to SJP they shit all over us. 

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

No, I'm saying you fellate Parky. O0

Because i agree with him that the squad needs major investment. Stop getting excited just because someone replied to one of your posts  O0

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

Not much difference in terms of quality tbh, Pompey have a better balance of players though with plenty of pace throughout.

That'll be a no then.

It means what I said it means, the standard of players throughout is around the same but Portsmouth have a better balance because their manager hasn't overloaded their squad with hard working players like ours has, similar to MON at Villa he's got the balance right with pace up top.

Well the evidence says the opposite, as when they came to SJP they shit all over us. 

We shit over Everton and Spurs up here, if you want to use that logic.

Guest jimmy1982

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

That doesn't mean Pompey s*** all over us all over the park either.

Well the evidence says the opposite, as when they came to SJP they s*** all over us. 

That was a freak match, it doesn't prove anything much.

If we buy a quality AMC (VdV/Deco/Diego in the £15m range) and a RM (someone like Simao who costed Ath Madrid £15m in the summer), we'll actually be better than Pompey.

And with regards to Pompey's strikers,

Kanu < Viduka

Utaka = Martins

Nugent = Smith/Ameobi

Benjani < Owen. Benjani's more lucky than good, and Owen has a more all-rounded game whilst Benjani is pace and fuck all else.

Baggio's right in that Pompey set up their game to exploit the pace of their strikers (Utaka and Benjani) and that's why they're scoring goals and winning games.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

We did not shit over either of those teams, we were played off the park by Pompey, they finished the job off in under a quarter of an hour then sat back and laughed at us.

Jimmy1982, if it was such a freak match, how come the very next home game, Liverpool did the same?

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

We did not shit over either of those teams, we were played off the park by Pompey, they finished the job off in under a quarter of an hour then sat back and laughed at us.

Jimmy1982, if it was such a freak match, how come the very next home game, Liverpool did the same?

We were just as dominant against Spurs and Portsmouth were against us, more so if anything.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

We were just as dominant against Spurs and Portsmouth were against us, more so if anything.

I dont think there is any comparison between 3-0 down and game over after 15 minutes versus being 2-1 up with 70 minutes gone against an imploding team about to change managers.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

No, I'm saying you fellate Parky. O0

Because i agree with him that the squad needs major investment.

:kasper:

That's no reason to fellate someone man!  If you blow everyone you agree with you'll get a mouth ulcer.

Guest jimmy1982

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

That doesn't mean Pompey s*** all over us all over the park either.

Well the evidence says the opposite, as when they came to SJP they s*** all over us. 

We s*** over Everton and Spurs up here, if you want to use that logic.

We did not s*** over either of those teams, we were played off the park by Pompey, they finished the job off in under a quarter of an hour then sat back and laughed at us.

The scorelines are similar but that's all. Against Pompey we conceded one raker and then Cacapa had a stinking 5 mins, as happens to every player in the world from time to time. Unfortunatley for him and us they scored from the two lapses and we were out of the game. We had neither the will or belief to fight back, and Pompey just went through the motions. I don't consider that being played off the park, instead a very poor and fragile team had the stuffing knocked out of it at the start of the match and it was game over. This thread is about having enough quality players isn't it? I don't think that match illustrated the greater quality of Portsmouth's players all over the park, as you suggested. If anything it illustrated three things: firstly that anyone can have a bad game (or even few minutes), secondly that occasionally sport can be cruel, and thirdly and more importantly that at that point we totally lacked the morale, fight, belief whatever you want to call it to, to make a fist of coming back from 3-0 down. The blame for that probably lies equally between Allardyce and the players. 

Liverpool murdered us for the whole match, from the start, scoring after a half an hour mins or so if I remember correctly and never let their grasp on the game slip. Fair enough, it would be more reasonable to use that match as an example of a gulf in quality.

We also played as well as Arsenal when we played them, but that doesn't mean we are as good as them.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

I dont think there is any comparison between 3-0 down and game over after 15 minutes versus being 2-1 up with 70 minutes gone against an imploding team about to change managers.

It's not as simple as that and you know it.

Liverpool dominated us like no team has at SJP for years but they were only 1-0 at half time, by your logic Portsmouth were more dominant though because they were 3-0 up in 15 minutes, it doesn't work like that.

The fact is apart from a good 10 minute spell we had Spurs on the back foot from the kick off, we dominated possession and didn't let Spurs create anything, Portsmouth however came here, caught us sleeping and put 3 on us before we got out of gear, after that the game was pretty even, you could say they were happy to sit back as they already had a lead and I'd agree that you have a point, they certainly didn't dominate us throughout the game anymore than we dominated Spurs though.

Liverpool dominated us like no team has at SJP for years but they were only 1-0 at half time,

Did they.

Not sure how much I drank that day but I thought they only started pressuring us after half an hour or so.

1-0 was about fair at half time.

Second half was a bit more one sided like.

Guest SeattleToon

The real problem is that none of them are!!! That's why we're not in the top six. Our midfield, in particular, is decidedly subpar. Butt (Man United), Geremi (Chelsea), and Smith (Man United) were all top-four rejects. If they aren't good enough for Chelsea and Man. United, why are they good enough for us?

The only players I voted for were Given, Beye, Taylor, and Owen, but even they would each have a difficult time securing a starting job with any of the top four. Everyone else in our squad is decidedly average (although players like Zoggy, Milner, and Martins still have the potential to become stars), which is why we are, not suprisingly, stuck firmly in mid-table.