Which of our players are good enough to help us finish top six?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's the way I believe everything works, more than anything. The "Butterfly Effect" sort of thing, every action has a reaction, everything leads to something different...

Top waffling btw  :thup:

Thanks!

Are we comparing ourselves to Arsenal now, by the way? Because that's a bit rich in my eyes, no pun intended.

If you look around the league, I don't think our players are really that bad when you compare them to the majority of squads, at least technically.

Arsenal are the exception to the rule, of course, they are the only team that play like that.

Man Utd play exemplary stuff when they're in top gear, but again they're far and above where we are at the moment.

Excluding the top four, there's probably Spurs who stand-out as being amongst the most technically gifted team, and Man City are up there as well, but even these sides aren't flooded with the sort of players that you see Arsenal utilising. They have their share of cloggers in there as well, but they have those extra few players with superior class (Berbatov, Huddlestone, King, Keane and Elano, Hamann, Petrov, Corluka) in a technical aspect.

If we're comaring our current lot to Arsenal at this point in time, then we might as well give up now, and I think you know I wasn't saying that the formation fully impacts a player's natural ability. Naughty, naughty.

All my comments on that were addressed to fredbob.

I also wasnt comparing us to Arsenal, just using their players as examples of those with good natural ability and the sort of players we need to aim for seeing as we dont have a genius manager.

I also agree with Parky re: Pompey, they shit on us all over the park.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/2176480511_39c8d63abf.jpg?v=0

:yikes:

:idiot2:

He's already been in teams which finished 5th, 4th and 3rd and he was a major reason for us getting to 7th just 2 seasons ago.

Ameobi, Carr, Emre, Given, N'Zogbia, Owen, Ramage, Taylor were in a team which finished 7th. Either:

• they're good enough
  • they were carried by Babayaro, Boumsong, Bowyer, Bramble, Elliot, Amdy Faye, Parker, final season Shearer and Solano
  • Souness & Roeder are exceptional managers to be able to put out a team which is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Most if not all of the players we have are good enough to finish top 6, we just need 1 or 2 extra creative players in the heart of the team and a manager who can get them to play.

Spot on.

edit: Maybe not quite spot on, but apoint that often gets overlooked amongst all the gloom mongering, imo.

Whey Everton finished 6th last year and are sat there now, so which Everton players would you chase to replace ours?

Lescott

Cahill

Arteta

Maybe Yakubu, though I'm not fussed on him or Johnson.

Those bold 2 make all the difference.

I agree HF. Although Yak is excellent imo, always scores. Lescott and Yobo have formed a very good partnership, but I don't think either of them are particularly special individually. Was just having a chat with a mate during the game last night about how Everton are a perfect example of a team of decent players who can become very good with a couple of really talented players.

Shay Given

Steve Harper

Habib Beye

Stephen Carr

Steven Taylor

Claudio Cacapa

David Rozehnal

Abdoulaye Faye

Jose Enrique

James Milner

Geremi

Alan Smith

Joey Barton

Nicky Butt

Emre

Charles N'Zogbia

Damien Duff

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

Shola Ameobi

Obafemi Martins

All those in bold.

Hahahahahaahahahahahaa!!

Comedy gold.

Shay Given

Steve Harper

Habib Beye

Stephen Carr

Steven Taylor

Claudio Cacapa

David Rozehnal

Abdoulaye Faye

Jose Enrique

James Milner

Geremi

Alan Smith

Joey Barton

Nicky Butt

Emre

Charles N'Zogbia

Damien Duff

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

Shola Ameobi

Obafemi Martins

All those in bold.

Hahahahahaahahahahahaa!!

Comedy gold.

Good, now explain why the manager is so shit if all of those players are so shit.

Conundrum.

Shay Given

Steve Harper

Habib Beye

Stephen Carr

Steven Taylor

Claudio Cacapa

David Rozehnal

Abdoulaye Faye

Jose Enrique

James Milner

Geremi

Alan Smith

Joey Barton

Nicky Butt

Emre

Charles N'Zogbia

Damien Duff

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

Shola Ameobi

Obafemi Martins

All those in bold.

Hahahahahaahahahahahaa!!

Comedy gold.

All those in bold could do a job in a top 6 squad, no problem, you just need till fill in the blanks, or have certain players paying in the right formation, position or possibly just being on the bench, but they are good enough. The fact they are not working together in these circumstances means fuk all when answering the OPs question.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

Are you saying we have a better squad than Pompey?  O0

Not much difference in terms of quality tbh, Pompey have a better balance of players though with plenty of pace throughout.

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

Not much difference in terms of quality tbh, Pompey have a better balance of players though with plenty of pace throughout.

That'll be a no then.

The only difference between Pompey's squad and ours is the midfield. Their defence is the same as ours, they've got a similar quality keeper and their strikers aren't special (Kanu, Benjani, Utaka and Nugent).

They've got quality in the middle of the park, but it's not going to take a massive sum of money to fix this problem for us. A good quality AMC and a RM will put us on their level imo.

And that's not going to cost £100m ;)

I also agree with Parky

There's a suprise.

O0

That'll be a no then.

It means what I said it means, the standard of players throughout is around the same but Portsmouth have a better balance because their manager hasn't overloaded their squad with hard working players like ours has, similar to MON at Villa he's got the balance right with pace up top.

That doesn't mean Pompey shit all over us all over the park either.

The only difference between Pompey's squad and ours is the midfield. Their defence is the same as ours, they've got a similar quality keeper and their strikers aren't special (Kanu, Benjani, Utaka and Nugent).

They've got quality in the middle of the park, but it's not going to take a massive sum of money to fix this problem for us. A good quality AMC and a RM will put us on their level imo.

:thup:

Man City - Elano and Petrov

Everton - Arteta and Cahill

Portsmouth - Muntari and Utaka

Blackburn - Bentley and Santa Cruz

They're the 'cruxes'. I don't really know what to call it, but in each respective team they are the players who take them from good to very good. Obviously, they don't do it by themselves, each of those sides have got good teams anyway, but they've got those key players.

And how much did each of those pairs cost? I think Elano/Petrov accumulated something like £12m, Arteta/Cahill was £4m, Bentley/Santa Cruz was cheap. Pompey's two are the only seriously expensive ones, somewhere around the £15m mark i think.

Ours were Bellamy and Robert. Who've we got now? No one really, you can't really pick two players out cos the team changes every week. Butt and N'Zogbia arguably?

I'm basically just repeating what other people have said. We've got a good squad, a Top 6 squad. Good attackers and good defenders, which simply need consistency. The midfield is the weak spot. Hopefully N'Zogbia will now be a midfielder, and we've got good options on the right in Duff and Milner. We need to change the centre, that's where our pair should come in imo.

Yeah the only differance is thier central midfield is on another planet compared to ours.

And their strikers have pace, power, skill and youth.

Up front we have scatty, fatty and ratty.  :razz:

Other than that the teams are similar. lol

Is it delusion day on here or is there summat about Ben Tozer you're not telling me?