Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

I think for Sam it was bad timing that Ashley took over when he did, I'm sure if Freddy was there in the beginning with him he would have been given the money he really wanted to buy the players that was his first choice, unlucky for him Ashley got control and was never going to give him the funds that he was promised as Sam wasn't his choice, that's why I think most of Sam's signings were not his first choice.

You don't think Faye was his choice?

Or any of the other 8 he brought in?

Yes they were his choice, but probably not his first, out of all the players he brought in though most definitely Faye, Beye and Enrique you could class as a success but then again I don't think Sam is the only Manager who has bought in players and they turned out to be shit, this is nothing unique.

Enrique, a success? Fucking ridiculous.

And Faye. How many games has he played, in the league?

I think for Sam it was bad timing that Ashley took over when he did, I'm sure if Freddy was there in the beginning with him he would have been given the money he really wanted to buy the players that was his first choice, unlucky for him Ashley got control and was never going to give him the funds that he was promised as Sam wasn't his choice, that's why I think most of Sam's signings were not his first choice.

Yes they were his choice, but probably not his first, out of all the players he brought in though most definitely Faye, Beye and Enrique you could class as a success but then again I don't think Sam is the only Manager who has bought in players and they turned out to be shit, this is nothing unique.

His first choice players were Distin and Ben Haim, he also went for Silvestre, Wes Brown and Heinze who but got turned down for one reason or another, that's according to his interview in the Mag anyway.

You could say the same about any manager that they would do better if they had more money, the fact is though that Allardyce spent around £18 million on Joey Barton with his well known baggage, Enrique who he left out of the first team more often than not and Alan Smith who's shite.

We don't know who his first choices were, it was all media talk - i.e. bullshit.

He said Distin and Ben Haim were his first choices in an interview so it's hardly media bullshit.

It doesn't really matter who his first choices supposedly were as far as I'm concerned. You can only judge Allardyce (signings-wise) on who he brought in and how they've performed subsequently. His signings are one of the main reasons he got the bullet.

His first choice players were Distin and Ben Haim, he also went for Silvestre, Wes Brown and Heinze who but got turned down for one reason or another, that's according to his interview in the Mag anyway.

You could say the same about any manager that they would do better if they had more money, the fact is though that Allardyce spent around £18 million on Joey Barton with his well known baggage, Enrique who he left out of the first team more often than not and Alan Smith who's shite.

We don't know who his first choices were, it was all media talk - i.e. bullshit.

He said Distin and Ben Haim were his first choices in an interview so it's hardly media bullshit.

Yeah, we shoudl believe everythging that everyone says in an interview - thats exactly how football people do business.

Either way, he signed 9 players for £25m, and so far, only one of them has proven to be worthwhile.

Yeah, we shoudl believe everythging that everyone says in an interview - thats exactly how football people do business.

Either way, he signed 9 players for £25m, and so far, only one of them has proven to be worthwhile.

So we shouldn't believe Ben Haim was his first choce then? Even though he went after him first and both Allardyce and Ben Haim spoke about him turning us down for Chelsea.

2 of them have been worthwhile btw, Baye and Faye are easily the two best defenders at the club.

Alot of what occured can be contrived either way, it was either an irrational decision on one hand, with no back up plan, or was something that needed to happen under the circumstances. For me i think the timing of the sacking was about as close to the best they could of done. We have to remember that the club had an extremely busy fixture list which i imagine was being met with intense training my Allardyce. In my opiinion, the board would of been in no position to sack Allardyce with such pressure of imporatant fixture. Games were coming up days after day and to get another manager to assess the squad, assess the target and assess the strategic review of the club and get the team prepared for all these big fixturewould of been impossible.

This is why Allardyce stayed to when the fixtures started to die down, maybe he should of gone a week earlier in the transfer period, but to me there was no doubt that he had to go then and not in the summer, what would of been the point of backinga manager you know you dont want?

As it stands, Keegan did have a bit of time to look for targets and he made an attempt (that we know of) to get one of only a handful of players that could of improved our squad. To me that shows that there board do have good intent and ambition, within the fist 2 weeks of a new mans appointment they were willing to spend a decent amount very soon. 

My money has always been on this. Hence the poor timing and the following hiatus involving Keegan/Redknapp.

He actually said it was too late to get Distin and if he'd been at Newcastle earlier he would have got him. FOI.

So we shouldn't believe Ben Haim was his first choce then? Even though he went after him first and both Allardyce and Ben Haim spoke about him turning us down for Chelsea.

2 of them have been worthwhile btw, Baye and Faye are easily the two best defenders at the club.

This is a silly thing to debate, it's not like Rodent or Souey bought in any players we rave about is it?

It still would've left us with the shower of shite midfield we have now so it makes no fucking difference.

Our defenders aren't that bad. The problem is that our midfield can't hold onto the ball and can't turn defence into attack. Allardyce made no mention of midfield targets he missed out on which suggests he was happy with what he had. That in itself proves what a complete arse he is

It still would've left us with the shower of shite midfield we have now so it makes no fucking difference.

Our defenders aren't that bad. The problem is that our midfield can't hold onto the ball and can't turn defence into attack. Allardyce made no mention of midfield targets he missed out on which suggests he was happy with what he had. That in itself proves what a complete arse he is

Perhaps he would have bought MF targets in the Jan window...No one can really know.

He actually said it was too late to get Distin and if he'd been at Newcastle earlier he would have got him. FOI.

What point are you trying to make?

He said Distin and Ben Haim were his first choice targets and couldn't get either for one reason or another.

He said Distin and Ben Haim were his first choice targets and couldn't get either for one reason or another.

I think you guys (I'm not sure) are debating what players he tried to get in the summer no?

I think that is irrelevant.  :pow:

It still would've left us with the shower of s**** midfield we have now so it makes no f****** difference.

Perhaps he would have bought MF targets in the Jan window...No one can really know.

What became pretty obvious was that Allardyce simply did not have the confidence of Ashley/Mort. For a man who built his career on results football, the results started indifferently and were headed south at an alarming rate.

He may have had targets but he didn't have the backing to buy them, and he can only blame himself for that. He tried to impose a tactical system with players it clearly didn't work with. Unless he was going to buy 11 new players it was irrelevant.

A couple of midfielders would not have changed the fact our entire strikeforce was utterly unsuited to Allardyce's tactics. It would not have changed the fact that our midfielders were by ability, fitness and temperament all unsuitable to his defensive flooding tactics.

All we can know is that Allardyce simply failed to come to grips with the players he had to use. So all we were left with was Bolton. The prospect, that given time, and money, he may well turn us into another Bolton, with perhaps slightly better results. No-one here wants to become Bolton. We certainely don't want to risk being relegated trying. So he got booted, and rightly so. At the time I thought 'may as well give him til summer' but in retrospect it was the right thing to do. Allardyce never showed he could adapt tactics, or change in any way to suit far higher expectations and far different playing staff.

In short, we do know. We know he wasn't good enough.

I think you guys (I'm not sure) are debating what players he tried to get in the summer no?

I think that is irrelevant.  :pow:

garth is trying to say the players Allardyce bought were not his first choice because he didn't have as much money as he thought, I've pointed out his top two targets were Distin and Ben Haim, both of which were free transfers. :pow:

It still would've left us with the shower of s**** midfield we have now so it makes no f****** difference.

What became pretty obvious was that Allardyce simply did not have the confidence of Ashley/Mort. For a man who built his career on results football, the results started indifferently and were headed south at an alarming rate.

He may have had targets but he didn't have the backing to buy them, and he can only blame himself for that. He tried to impose a tactical system with players it clearly didn't work with. Unless he was going to buy 11 new players it was irrelevant.

A couple of midfielders would not have changed the fact our entire strikeforce was utterly unsuited to Allardyce's tactics. It would not have changed the fact that our midfielders were by ability, fitness and temperament all unsuitable to his defensive flooding tactics.

All we can know is that Allardyce simply failed to come to grips with the players he had to use. So all we were left with was Bolton. The prospect, that given time, and money, he may well turn us into another Bolton, with perhaps slightly better results. No-one here wants to become Bolton. We certainely don't want to risk being relegated trying. So he got booted, and rightly so. At the time I thought 'may as well give him til summer' but in retrospect it was the right thing to do. Allardyce never showed he could adapt tactics, or change in any way to suit far higher expectations and far different playing staff.

How would they know shit from shat?

I'd say it was pretty obvious considering they sacked him. :pow:

:laugh:

The one who laughs last laughs longest. We will see. bluerazz.gif

in fairness, they got that one right - Allardyce was crap.

I'm only really arguing the timing anyway.

What were the alternatives? When do you think was the best time to get rid?

Guest elbee909

:laugh:

The one who laughs last laughs longest. We will see. bluerazz.gif

I prefer "he who laughs last, has the last laugh."

Summer or straight away as I've said earlier.

But in all honesty these things are always problematic and hard to judge.

I don't think the timing was great, but I don't think there was much of an option when it would have been much better, Allardyce was worse than anyone could of imagined and because of that I don't think this situation was avoidable.

Sacking Sam straight away would have been political dynamite and just the sort of rash decision you are now accusing the board of. In the summer would have meant another season wasted which Mort has already said, hence my remark that the timing was 'perfect' which you ridiculed at the time but when you think about it wasn't as stupid as you made out.