Are the players good enough?

Keefaz

Guest assyriantoon

If we had the best manager in the world we could realistically expect the current squad to be in the uefa cup race.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Allow me to summarize:

Strikers who can't finish or make dangerous runs into space;

Central Midfielders who cannot hold with any consistency or create whatsoever

Wing players who can't properly work the wings with overlaps and such

Central Defenders who lose their poise regularly

A goalkeeper who cannot relieve the pressure on the defenders with his distribution

Flaccid set piece play

Any additions to list are welcome

NE5, i know you're trying to illustrate the new boards deficincies, but shoudln't you wait til they've had a window with their own man in place to really pass judgement?

I don't know yet if they have "deficiencies", nobody does. I'm just not very happy with how the money was spent in the summer. And I have always wondered what Allardyce was referring to when he complained about lack of support, and I wonder why the club didn't replace Dire or Solano.

I have in fact made posts saying that their time truly starts when they get their man. I don't do knee jerk reactions. I will believe they have ambition when I see the proof.

Guest Knightrider

Loading Sam up with cash would of been Souey all over again man.

I wouldn't be so certain myself. Enrique at least looks a player. Cacapa - what do people expect for peanuts. Viduka, there is no denying his pedigree and again on a free transfer he's hardly a bad buy. Faye and Beye have been successful thus far while Rozzy is decent enough in terms of being a squad player. Barton is a good player, but a shithouse and Smith is well Smith. As buys go, most managers would be lucky if 2 of every 4 players they bought worked. Big Sam proved himself in the transfer market with Bolton to at least be giving a chance to show whether he could replicate that at Newcastle. Typically though, not only do managers get judged in a few months here, so do players too.

I wouldn't be so certain myself. Enrique at least looks a player. Cacapa - what do people expect for peanuts. Viduka, there is no denying his pedigree and again on a free transfer he's hardly a bad buy. Faye and Beye have been successful thus far while Rozzy is decent enough in terms of being a squad player. Barton is a good player, but a shithouse and Smith is well Smith. As buys go, most managers would be lucky if 2 of every 4 players they bought worked. Big Sam proved himself in the transfer market with Bolton to at least be giving a chance to show whether he could replicate that at Newcastle. Typically though, not only do managers get judged in a few months here, so do players too.

Enrique-Jury still out but he is looking stronger with every game he is playing.

Cacapa - I dont think sigining players who have played about 5 games last season & have no pace & are weak should be signed.

Viduka - He cant run, jump or look interested. Nice touches though.

Rozzy - He is crap, you can dress him up as squad player but he is not very good at all.

Barton - Looked a good player at Man City, has failed to live up to the billing.

Smith - Is Smith as you say, which I think equals poor. Good at clapping the fans though.

Tozer - Jury still out

Ngo - Just still out

Kadar - Did he sign?

Beye - Missing him

Faye - Missing him

His best two signings will not be playing for us for most of Jan & some of Feb, this fella new how to plan ahead.

Not sure if that = 2 out of every 4 transfers though.

Plenty of the players are good enough.

Cohesion + confidence + a manager + one or two key signings will see us right.

Nothing's changed since 5:15pm. Today was a shambles where every single thing went wrong, as i (and Melanchronic) have said, it's all about the current situation. If that poll about which players are good enough for the top 6 were to come around again, i'd vote the same again. Tthere's 8 or 9 top 6 players but too many squad-fillers.

How many of those played today, YG?

That are capable of top 6? Given, Duff, N'Zogbia, Owen. Special mentions to Taylor and Enrique.

Tbh, if we improved the central midfield, the knock-on effect it might have elsewhere could propel us into the top 7 or so, I think.

Yep. We need to quality centre-mids. That's where we fall down. The personnel everywhere else is good enough.

Allow me to summarize:

Strikers who can't finish or make dangerous runs into space;

Central Midfielders who cannot hold with any consistency or create whatsoever

Wing players who can't properly work the wings with overlaps and such

Central Defenders who lose their poise regularly

A goalkeeper who cannot relieve the pressure on the defenders with his distribution

Flaccid set piece play

This

Guest neesy111

a playmaker could make things tick in our squad

the midfield is where we are losing every game, butt and smith are league 2 standard

a good playmaker with some1 like geremi could make things tick

we have 1 excellent winger and 1 good winger

defence of enrique, taylor, faye, beye given time and a good coach would be a good defence

we need a striking coach upfront for our strikers

Tbh, if we improved the central midfield, the knock-on effect it might have elsewhere could propel us into the top 7 or so, I think.

agreed. a good centre mid and suddenly the defenders have a bit of help, the wingers get the ball, and the strikers get some chances.

Guest neesy111

Top 10 squad at best. Be realistic.

i wish we could get there tbh

i would get rid of everyone apart from given, beye, faye, taylor, enrique, charlie, milner

Our players are mostly OK, but we lack a couple of things: someone to direct the midfield and movement up front. I saw someone mentioning that one of the plus points to Big Sam's time here was that he got rid of Sibierski. Well, today Sibierski scored Wigan's winning goal. He may be shite, but at least he was willing to run around a bit. A skint man of poor judgement's Bellamy, if you will. Allardyce was right to get rid, but not without getting a much better replacement.

Seriously , what does he offer. Not looking for an arguement but what does Oba consistently add to our starting XI?

Goals- at best a one in five striker

Assists- Rarely

Creativity- Urm....