How long have you supported NUFC?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It depends on how you english define supporting. I'm from Denmark and i've met some english NUFC fans saying you can't be a REAL fan of a club based in another country. But anyway, there's no team over Newcastle United in my world and I know that a lot of members in Toons of Denmark agree to that. I've been following and supporting NUFC since 1993.

You're perfectly entitled to support Newcastle, Michael. Where you live is not important.

I know that Newcastle have a lot of supporters in Denmark and through Scandinavia (especially Norway) and they are normally very loyal and knowledgeable.

Guest Brazilianbob

I seem to be surrounded by children!

I was born in 1951 and we won the FA Cup.  They retained it the following season and then then won it again in 1955, but my first game wasn't until 4 September 1965 v Northampton Town in the First Division.  We won 2-0.

It was Northamptons only sojourn into the First Division having been promoted the previous season as Champions with us going up as runners up.

Northampton were relegated that same season and spiralled down to the bottom divisions where they have stayed ever since.

I was born in 1951 and we won the FA Cup.  They retained it the following season and then then won it again in 1955, but my first game wasn't until 4 September 1965 v Northampton Town in the First Division.  We won 2-0.

It was Northamptons only sojourn into the First Division having been promoted the previous season as Champions with us going up as runners up.

Northampton were relegated that same season and spiralled down to the bottom divisions where they have stayed ever since.

Hehe we have a member of the danish fanclub, he's pretty old, but he still attend all the games on our pub, he told us about those FA cup finals in the 50es, it was like a grandpa telling fairytales to his grandchildren :D :D :D

Guest scoular

First game I watched was friendly vs Barcelona - was it in 1958? Score was 4-4 I think. Simpson, McMichael, Keith, Crowe, Stokoe, Scoular, Mitchell, Hannah, Milburn, Keeble, White, ANother.

I'm quite old, so memory is poor - anyone like to correct me on date or team. I know great Hungarians Kocsis & Czibor were playing for Barca. 

Guest walkerboy

like many since a bairn-first match 68 fa cup against Man city got beat 1-0,went regular for the next ten years before going off t sail the seas.

>Other game was watching Leeds at home when they were the greatest thing since sliced bread with Bremner,Lorrimer and Jordan with Sprake as keeper 50 or 60,000 lock out at 1.30pm boxing day when the game didn't kick off until 3.00pm.<

was at that game and got kicked out just as i walked in  for absolutely nothing by some  miserable copper. at half time somone appeared with a scaffolding ladder round the back of the Leases and we all legged it up and in for second half-must have been forty odd people legging it up before someone clocked it-brilliant.

Guest mobiius

It depends on how you english define supporting. I'm from Denmark and i've met some english NUFC fans saying you can't be a REAL fan of a club based in another country. But anyway, there's no team over Newcastle United in my world and I know that a lot of members in Toons of Denmark agree to that. I've been following and supporting NUFC since 1993.

I can never understand that one mate, how can you not be a real fan just cos you live in Denmark. I could understand it if we won a cup and you had suddenly decided that the toon was the club for you, but you have supported us for 15 stretch and there has been nowt we have won in that time. So in my book you are definitely a REAL supporter  :clap: :clap: 

IMO I was born a Newcastle supporter. There was never going to be another team for me.

However I first vocalised these opinions in the 1980s, I had a Newcastle United pencil case for School and would always listen to the matches on the radio and even watch them on Ceefax if the radio wasn't carrying a broadcast. I clearly remember us getting relegated in 1989, the playoff matches against Sunderland, and the appointment of Ardilles.

That said, my father worked weekends so could never take me to a match. I could only go to a game when I was old enough (In my father's eyes) to go myself so that meant that the promotion season under Keegan was the first time I got to go, though I was there right from the start of the season when expectations were still low.

So I could in theory tick 1970s (Born), 1980s (Declared support) or 1990s (first match). I went for 1980s as I'm sure there are people who have never been to a match yet but still support Newcastle from afar and they will have still put something down I'm sure.

Since the 80's (i.e. when i was old enough to support a team).

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I genuinely, hand on heart, have no idea why anyone would support a football club from somewhere they aren't from (or have no familial link to, etc). Maybe its just the way that i was brought up regarding football, but you supported where you came from. Its just the way things are...I'm from Newcastle, I support Newcastle. I'm English, i support English.

Its a (relatively) free country, etc, and everyone can make their own choice. I just honestly can't understand it.

Guest alijmitchell

You could say since the 90's, although this was never a conscious 'choice', I've been a fan for as long as i can remember, and it so happens that I can only really remember from about 1993 onwards (around the age of 6 for me). Still, i believe I was born a fan, there was no other team for me and that's why i never had to make a choice. I was born, I was taken to the ground by my dad when it was terracing, I went to my first game that i remember sitting in the east stand against balckburn, and i've been bitten ever since.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I genuinely, hand on heart, have no idea why anyone would support a football club from somewhere they aren't from (or have no familial link to, etc). Maybe its just the way that i was brought up regarding football, but you supported where you came from. Its just the way things are...I'm from Newcastle, I support Newcastle. I'm English, i support English.

Its a (relatively) free country, etc, and everyone can make their own choice. I just honestly can't understand it.

Couldn't agree more. I could NEVER support any team other than Newcastle (And England, of course). I don't understand "second teams" or following a team who you have no affinity with or anything like that. I know how I feel when I see local kids with Man U tops on, it makes me feel sick.

However in these days of wanting to get revenue in to compete with the big boys, we need to expand and embrace people from other lands who want to follow Newcastle. These people will provide the financial platform we need to compete with the best, without them we'll be nothing but a small town, insular club.

Couldn't agree more. I could NEVER support any team other than Newcastle (And England, of course). I don't understand "second teams" or following a team who you have no affinity with or anything like that. I know how I feel when I see local kids with Man U tops on, it makes me feel sick.

However in these days of wanting to get revenue in to compete with the big boys, we need to expand and embrace people from other lands who want to follow Newcastle. These people will provide the financial platform we need to compete with the best, without them we'll be nothing but a small town, insular club.

Me dads a Geordie (even saw us win a cup) thats why Ive always been a Toon fan. I grew up in a non football town during the 70s nearly everyone supported liverpool they now seem to support chelsea manure etc, a lot of people from towns like this look for a team to support, there are the odd ones  go with a non glory option a lad in my year at school  chose the right way. I never felt I had a choice I was taken to games in the 70s and 80s it was a heartbreaking time mostly, I wonder if its in the blood though as my boy also cant love any but the toon he lives with his mother and his half sister is a gooner.  I cant understand second teams except where its from another country, I detest the glory boys

Born 1950..lived in  Queens court (next to The Black Bull).....500 yards from SJP.....1st game ??1957...have worked Saturdays for most of my working life..?? about to retire...maybe get season ticket!!  ian

[quoyep 44 te author=Brazilianbob link=topic=49110.msg1165098#msg1165098 date=1200664192]

Hehe we have a member of the danish fanclub, he's pretty old, but he still attend all the games on our pub, he told us about those FA cup finals in the 50es, it was like a grandpa telling fairytales to his grandchildren :D :D :D

yep 44 year old child thats me  :celb: ;) :toothy: :hippy2: violence.gif :confused2: :blob1: :glasses8: :happy1: :downtown: :tongue2: :violent4: :wav: :puke: :occasion18: :occasion16: :laser: :fight: :morph: