the defense rests

bulivye

i'm curious how you all feel about the keeping of nigel pearson.  it's occurred to me that perhaps now with a much more offensively minded mgr, mr. pearson may well be able to sort the defense out because he'll be the only one focussed on it.  perhaps the fact that all our recent mgr's have been defenders in their careers, or defensively minded anyway, has caused mixed messages to be sent to our (already easily-confused-due-to- linguistic-challenges) defenders, and they have had to deal with the opinions, tactics, strategies of two men who think they know their stuff.   

anyway, i hope you see what i'm driving at.  what do you think?

doesn't really work that way. just because manager was a forward doesn't mean he can't organise a team to defend (think alex ferguson). beckenbauer's germany were canny going forward for a team coached by a defender.

doesn't really work that way. just because manager was a forward doesn't mean he can't organise a team to defend (think alex ferguson). beckenbauer's germany were canny going forward for a team coached by a defender.

i think you misunderstand me.  i was wondering aloud, if it just wasn't a case of too many cooks.  if pearson was/is in charge of the defense, then his ideas would suffer when the top man (b/c he's got experience & "knows what he's talking about) starts to chime in, or worse overrule the defensive coach.  if this was the case, and i'm not saying it was, then perhaps someone like kk would be willing to leave well enough alone?    i'm still not sure i'm making myself clear here, so, apologies for the opacity of my posts. 

the manager will guide the overall strategy,which in keegans case is basics (as is best). if there is a defender on the coaching staff when this is all sorted my guess is he willwork on the basic skills of the players defensivly and that shouldn't just mean the defence.

well done, i'm sure that is the first time "opacity" has been used on this forum. I like it !

the manager will guide the overall strategy,which in keegans case is basics (as is best). if there is a defender on the coaching staff when this is all sorted my guess is he willwork on the basic skills of the players defensivly and that shouldn't just mean the defence.

well done, i'm sure that is the first time "opacity" has been used on this forum. I like it !

thanks!  so, do you think he (pearson) will/should stay?

yes/yes

thanks!   so, do you think he (pearson) will/should stay?

yes/yes

me too!  in spite of my "opacity" in earlier posts, i think it will be worth a look to see if pearson can do the thing on his own.

Guest johnson293

Didn't Keegan himself not try that last time he was manager, when he gave Mark Lawrenson the job of 'Defensive Coach'?

Didn't work too well, but maybe it said more about Lawrenson's ability as a coach!

yes/yes

me too!  in spite of my "opacity" in earlier posts, i think it will be worth a look to see if pearson can do the thing on his own.

i'd not rated pearson in the past but i respect him for what he did on wednesday, keeping the 2 strikers and wide players, i think pearson should sty as first team coach with shearer brought in as no 2.

He should stay as a coach, really don't see any point of keeping him in a mangerial position.

apologies, but this is where i always lose the plot a bit...what's the difference between a coach & a manager?    being serious here