Don't mistake Keegan for a soft touch Joey

TRon

Kev's a nice bloke. A good guy. Would help your Gran across the road and the rest. Keegan's a great friend but it's not a good idea to cross him. He was clarifying how he would support Barton to the hilt 100% but amidst all the praise of Barton's abilities, he slipped in the message that he'd been let down by Barton before. There's a precedence here; Barry Venison was club captain and one of the most gifted defenders on our books during our meteoric rise towards the top in Keegans last spell.

He was sacked as captain and sold for taking the younger lads on a drinking session at the wrong time and place. Barton isn't the equivalent to the shit on Venison's shoes as a man or a player, so he should take note. He'll either shape up or be turfed out on his over-exposed arse sooner rather than later if he doesn't heed the warning.

Yes, I genuinely believe Barton wants to reform. The problem is I think he's too much of a toerag to actually make changes to his personality. He'll always be a powderkeg ready to go off, on the pitch and off it. Sadly it's not the sort of thing that I think anyone is capable of changing, not when he's so obviously a bit unhinged.

what game was it that Beresford argued with him? and was subbed straight after

It was at home to Villa in the run-in to the end of 95-96 ; we won 1-0 in the end, but the title bid was slipping

away and everyone was under pressure - I think it was Easter, just before the ill-fated Liverpool & Blackburn games..

Guest kingkevisback

I've yet to see anything from Barton that pleases me- apart from that penalty. If KING KEV can perhaps get him playing to the ability he showed at City towards the end then he would be a wortyh adition. If not- Eff Off. Or similar words to that lasting effect.