Owen or Martins, why?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We should sell Owen as soon as possible. Like someone said, it seems like he has lost his hunger for the game, and it doesnt help that he is getting slower than Shearer was in his last season, atleast Shearer was a class finnisher(Owen isnt a class finnsiher, he is decent).

I would take Martins any day,especially in a 4-4-2 system. Martins is the future, he has the pace and have to learn how to use it. If anything I think Keegan is the man who will get the best out of him. Martins have a killer shot, if he shoots more he will score more and gain confidence.

If it was 5 years ago, I would pick Owen over Martins, but not today or in the future.

I would take Martins any day,especially in a 4-4-2 system. Martins is the future, he has the pace and have to learn how to use it. If anything I think Keegan is the man who will get the best out of him. Martins have a killer shot, if he shoots more he will score more and gain confidence.

Keegan had to be either a brilliant coach or a brain surgeon to do this. But he is neither.

Anyway, are the people saying that Martins can learn to resolve his obvious deficits by good coaching the same who thought Bramble could overcome his concentration blackouts?

Martins based on the number of goals he's scored in the last two seasons (in a very crap team overall).

We can't compare Owen's goalscoring because his injury record is piss poor as we know. I just have the feeling Owen has burnout which comes from being so good when he was 17/18. He's lost enthusiasm as well as pace. And sadly I really do think (after seeing the Sky programme about him) he's far more interested in his horses than his football. He looked happier when he just talked about it, like the passion was there for the horses and the football was just a means to an end - to earn the money to spend on his multi-million stables in Cheshire.

I'd like nothing more than to be proved wrong - and he scores 10 -15 goals between now and the end of the end of the season, but I just can't see it.

Keegan had to be either a brilliant coach or a brain surgeon to do this. But he is neither.

Anyway, are the people saying that Martins can learn to resolve his obvious deficits by good coaching the same who thought Bramble could overcome his concentration blackouts?

This is absolutely true.

I see some people believe Martins can improve under Keegan. Well, i hope som because at the moment, there are some massive, massive problems with his game. Perhaps he can be taught how to shoot consistently, make half decent runs, pass or use space intelligently. Perhaps not.

Owen is still a better footballer, and - assuming he stays fit - is likely to get more goals.

The usual I-support-a-17Million£-super-goal-machine-which-is-always-injured-and-a-fucking-mercenary comment. Bored with them...

The usual I-support-a-17Million£-super-goal-machine-which-is-always-injured-and-a-f******-mercenary comment. Bored with them...

Your problem. I am not actually supporting Owen with my comment, but rather questioning where the belief that Martins can improve his game is coming from, because all this leg-humping is really boring me as well.

Btw - It's the transfer window, shouldn't you make up fake transfer news for "entertainment"?

The usual I-support-a-17Million£-super-goal-machine-which-is-always-injured-and-a-f******-mercenary comment. Bored with them...

Your problem. I am not actually supporting Owen with my comment, but rather questioning where the belief that Martins can improve his game is coming from, because all this leg-humping is really boring me as well.

Btw - It's the transfer window, shouldn't you make up fake transfer news for "entertainment"?

Fake transfer news?

I was as anti Bramble as they come and can't believe we stuck with him so long.

Its completely different with Martins, he (after a slow start) hit some form and scored what 17 under Roeder as a striker. Sam comes in drops him for Owen at most oppourtunaties and makes him more a right winger in his 433 and then some cretins on here wonder why he's stopped scoring and looks a little short of confidence. I could compare it to Zoggy being shite under Roeder, we knew he wasn't a bad player but he was playing abysmaly, why, because he had done nothing wrong and had actually been playing well, roeder dopped him  and bought Duff to play his position. Was zoggy suddenly shite? NO he was demorolised something Sam actually changed. 

Its completely different with Martins, he (after a slow start) hit some form and scored what 17 under Roeder as a striker. Sam comes in drops him for Owen at most oppourtunaties and makes him more a right winger in his 433 and then some cretins on here wonder why he's stopped scoring and looks a little short of confidence. I could compare it to Zoggy being s**** under Roeder, we knew he wasn't a bad player but he was playing abysmaly, why, because he had done nothing wrong and had actually been playing well, roeder dopped him  and bought Duff to play his position. Was zoggy suddenly s****? NO he was demorolised something Sam actually changed. 

Another one with a brain. Good post.

Its completely different with Martins, he (after a slow start) hit some form and scored what 17 under Roeder as a striker. Sam comes in drops him for Owen at most oppourtunaties and makes him more a right winger in his 433 and then some cretins on here wonder why he's stopped scoring and looks a little short of confidence. I could compare it to Zoggy being s**** under Roeder, we knew he wasn't a bad player but he was playing abysmaly, why, because he had done nothing wrong and had actually been playing well, roeder dopped him  and bought Duff to play his position. Was zoggy suddenly s****? NO he was demorolised something Sam actually changed. 

The thing is that Martins even when playing "well" (his 11 league goals were still an average record) had obvious deficits. His movement is appalling, he doesn't know when to make runs. He just reacts by instinct. So he isn't making any use of his pace. His decisions are erratic, as is his touch. This is even when he is full of confidence. He has moments of absolute brilliance where he looks like a top player, but they are just flashes and I don't think he will ever be able to constantly make use of his skills.

When he wasn't able to learn an understanding of the game during his time at Italy where they are obsessed with tactical teaching, how does anyone real can believe that it will happen here, especially as Martins isn't getting any younger (ok, he probably is).

Another one with a brain. Good post.

Aye. Not the one you mean however.

glad, there's twice as much people, who have enough common sense to realize that Owen's transfer has been a disaster from the start and won't ever bring us anything good.

Martins may not be in the same league as Owen, but at least he's not the highest paid crock in the world.

glad, there's twice as much people, who have enough common sense to realize that Owen's transfer has been a disaster from the start and won't ever bring us anything good.

Martins may not be in the same league as Owen, but at least he's not the highest paid crock in the world.

You see, this is what I can't understand on here. The fact that Owen's transfer has been a disaster doesn't make the Martins one a good one. Marginally better aye but still over £10m spunked away.

Fake transfer news?

Ah, seems that I have mistaken you for Swissmagpie who was the source for the dodgy Roeder to Zürich, Behrami signing etc. rumours. I am sorry for that.

You see, this is what I can't understand on here. The fact that Owen's transfer has been a disaster doesn't make the Martins one a good one. Marginally better aye but still over £10m spunked away.

I reckon if you buy a good strike partner for Owen, you'll see him score goals. He may not get anywhere near his form 1998-2002, but he'll still be effective at what he does. Buy a new partner for Martins, and you're still likely to see the same poor runs, first touch, no footballing brain, etc.

nah, i think it was a good deal.. i still can't believe how Roeder managed to get him, instead of Kuyt.. if the former didn't reject us for Liverpool, we would've been in the championship now

nah, i think it was a good deal.. i still can't believe how Roeder managed to get him, instead of Kuyt.. if the former didn't reject us for Liverpool, we would've been in the championship now

Good luck rather than good management given he was pursuing Kuyt for most of the summer. And Oliver would have been accurate on that score given his close relationship with Roeder.