Ferdinand - Just how good was he?

Karjala

He played for QPR against us the season before we signed him and it was even to this day, the best performance by an opposing player at St. James park.

I remember that game, I was there. He won literally everything that went anywhere near him, it was a majestic performance. I left in total awe of the man, and was ecstatic when we signed him.

Very good in the air for a man of his height and is fondly remembered by most NUFC fans.

Unfortunately this glosses over the fact that he couldn't hit a barn door when it really really mattered in the 2nd half of the 95/96 season.

Suffered a dip in form aye, by no means the only one - Rob Lee and Ginola most notably. He was sensational in the first half of the season though as was as big a reason as any why we got that 12 point lead. Still, at least we're much better off for strikers now so I can see why you'd be critical of him.

Guest Urban Fox

4th October 1997 - Newcastle v Spurs.  We won I think, forget the score but after the game Ferdinand went off, got a toon top, put it on and went to stand in the centre circle, applauding all 4 sides of the ground.  He got a standing ovation. I got chills!

can you remember any returning ex-toon player who got an ovation like that?

4th October 1997 - Newcastle v Spurs.  We won I think, forget the score but after the game Ferdinand went off, got a toon top, put it on and went to stand in the centre circle, applauding all 4 sides of the ground.  He got a standing ovation. I got chills!

can you remember any returning ex-toon player who got an ovation like that?

David Kelly was applauded onto the St James's park Picth by all 4 corners of the ground while playing for Sunderland (with no away fans allowed).

Very good in the air for a man of his height and is fondly remembered by most NUFC fans.

Unfortunately this glosses over the fact that he couldn't hit a barn door when it really really mattered in the 2nd half of the 95/96 season.[\b]

Unfortunately factually correct. Sir Les just couldn't cut it when the real pressure was on, which is the difference between being a very good player and a great one.