Ferdinand - Just how good was he?

Karjala

Guest Insomniark

Ive been looking for a place to make my first post, well here seems as good a place as any  :razz:

In my honest Ferdinand was a legend, 50 goals in 84 games plus he was part of the magic of that era... Nuff said.

Wrong actually, they wanted to sell players because they had to pay the bank back the £6 million they borrowed to sign Shearer and couldn't borrow anymore money until they had paid it, Keegan couldn't see the point of selling players he could trust just to sign other players after. This is fact and you should know this if you've read his book. How would selling one of your best assets raise the stock price anyway when you consider signings like Owen have pushed ours up?

He was quality, i wonder how much our old Keegan years team would be worth these days with all the crazy prices for players. People are comparing Sir Les to Drogba who is worth around 25 m now i guess, Shearer at his best? 40+m?

Good point!

At their peak you'd be talking £40m for Shearer, £30m for Ferdinand, £20m for Gillespie, £15m for Lee, £15m for Batty, £22m for Ginola, 500k for Barton, £5m for Albert, 650k for Beresford, 400k for Peacock and £3m for Srnicek.

Shit that was a good team. Wish to fuck we'd got the likes of Colin Hendry and Tim Flowers here as well. (IIRC they were always being rumoured as well as Pallister)

Given that Barton went for £4m as it was I'd imagine his peak price would probably be higher. You're underrating Beresford massively there as well imo. Peacock too. Oh no, wait, our defence was shit wasn't it mackems.gif

Guest battyleespeed

As long as the crosses and balls over the top were coming in Ferdinand was excellent. It seemed like he could "hung" in the air forever, I don't think I've ever seen anybody else with such a leap... Speed at his prime was pretty good at it but Ferdinand seemed to jump even higher than him. Had a lot of pace and power as well. On other hand, at times he was frustrating when the ball was played to his feet and he kept losing the ball because his technique was lacking. Perhaps his pace and power could had been slightly better utilized if his off the ball movement had been more varied. 

I remember he got in the professional game as late as his early 20s having been found from lower leagues. That might have showed in his technique but he certainly had the athletisism.

Just after Cole was sold a lad I worked with suggested that Ferdinand was the one to sign, said something about his ability to defy gravity boy he was right he just hung in the air for ever ;D He is a great bloke as well I met him once in a bank in Mill Hill , I said to my wife that bloke there was one of the best strikers of the last twenty years, He turned round and said thanks and chatted for a bit. I still think hes one of the best and much better than Owen ;D Selling him was one of the worst things we ever did :rant:

Guest KeithKettleborough

When playing against us for QPR he looked brilliant but although he was good, he never quite got to the level I expected. Kept wanting him to be signed to play with Cole but that dream partnership never happened. He lost confidence during the run in that saw the infamous points lead disappear and missed some chances he would have put away earlier in the campaign.

Second season was good but never ever believed in the partnership that was claimed to exist between him and Shearer. It was more a case of 2 very good centre forwards being in the same team rather than them linking up to form a partnership. Beardsley and Cole was a partnership, Al and Les was never that close.

These days he would walk into any team in the country and play each game for England. We could do with him now for sure 

The PLC had nothing to do with losing Ferdinand, the board felt £6 million for a player of his age was too good to turn down, that and Dalglish wanted to partner Shearer with JDT. After Shearer got injured they asked Ferdinand to stay but he'd already given his word to Spurs and wouldn't go back on it. Keegan left because he felt he couldn't motivate the players anymore didn't think he could move the club to the next level, he says this in his book.

whatever.

He also says in his book he wasn't happy with the direction the club was taking. He said exactly the same thing in his press conference this week. He also says in his book that Everton wanted to buy Les Ferdinand for 6m quid and they wanted to take the money to lift the flotation price, which he resisted. Who was the first major player sold by Dalglish ?

Yes. You guessed it.

I think we had to choose at the time....selling Ferdinand or Asprilla? and we went kept Asprilla (which was a mistake IMO)

And Collymore, he was excellent at Forest.

What a waste of talent.

exactly.......he could have been a top top player if he had his head screwed on right

When playing against us for QPR he looked brilliant but although he was good, he never quite got to the level I expected. Kept wanting him to be signed to play with Cole but that dream partnership never happened. He lost confidence during the run in that saw the infamous points lead disappear and missed some chances he would have put away earlier in the campaign.

Second season was good but never ever believed in the partnership that was claimed to exist between him and Shearer. It was more a case of 2 very good centre forwards being in the same team rather than them linking up to form a partnership. Beardsley and Cole was a partnership, Al and Les was never that close.

These days he would walk into any team in the country and play each game for England. We could do with him now for sure 

Agreed - good post KeithK..but his sale in 1997 was the start of our downfall - I reckon KD would have done OK if Sir Les had been available that season.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

The fact that we call him, a southerner, 'Sir Les' says it all in my opinion.  Top bloke, great player, absolutely fantastic example for any young kid to follow at the time.

If I can play devil's advocate for a minute, while Ferdinand was, on balance, an excellent signing, he went off the boil in front of goal when we needed him most in the final few months of 95/96.

Still should have stayed beyond 97, but I remember him missing really good chances that would have got us vital points in the "title" year.

If I can play devil's advocate for a minute, while Ferdinand was, on balance, an excellent signing, he went off the boil in front of goal when we needed him most in the final few months of 95/96.

Still should have stayed beyond 97, but I remember him missing really good chances that would have got us vital points in the "title" year.

Yeah thats a good point, chances Shearer quite probably would have finished.

Guest Urban Fox

He played for QPR against us the season before we signed him and it was even to this day, the best performance by an opposing player at St. James park.  Didn't he score something like 12 goals in 12 consecutive games in 95/96?

I'll never forget the day - I was living in Holland at the time, I walked into the newsagents to buy an English Newspaper and on the back "Toon sell Ferdinand". I stood staring at the paper for about 10 minutes until the shop owner said something about "Are you going to buy that or stare all day?" to which I replied "Stare all day".

That was the most gutted I've ever been about anything NUFC related (cup final defeats aside)

And then Shearer goes and snaps his ligaments and then asprilla goes in the huff and then Tomasson decides to be the best player in europe the year after we sell him and and and...........

oh, why did you have to bring this up???

Ferdinand = Power forward

Shearer = Power forward.

What a partnership.  broken up sadly, at the wrong time.

It wasn't a partnership though in my eyes, not in the true sense of the word.

For two strikers to make a good partnership all that needs to happen is the team need to score goals.

I think we just about managed that :)

Good Partnership in my opinion.

I hated Les Ferdinand. Twat always scored against us and always badmouthed us in the press.

What sort of stuff did he say? Seems odd of a man of Lesley's calibre to slate a team he regularly scored against.

I hated Les Ferdinand. t*** always scored against us and always badmouthed us in the press.

What sort of stuff did he say? Seems odd of a man of Lesley's calibre to slate a team he regularly scored against.

I think it was because he got some racist abuse from some Everton fans when he was a kid playing his first games. Okay, that was wrong,but football was like that in general then and he used to bring it up at every opportunity in the media which pissed me off.

I hated Les Ferdinand. t*** always scored against us and always badmouthed us in the press.

I think it was because he got some racist abuse from some Everton fans when he was a kid playing his first games. Okay, that was wrong,but football was like that in general then and he used to bring it up at every opportunity in the media which pissed me off.

You lot must have really upset him. Poor Les.