No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

Would this thread have appeared if we'd got a result yesterday btw? In the Cup. Away. Against the joint Premier League leaders.

The day Keegan was appointed manager, people were screaming for a strengthening of the squad. This thread has "happened" because of the Woodgate story, not the Arsenal result.

By the way, in case anyone is getting me wrong... I'm not saying we WILL go down, I'm saying that we COULD.

The point being made is that it's not just losing games that will get you relegated, it's other teams below you winning, and there aren't more than 3 teams below us that are better than us thus meaning we won't finish inside the relegation zone this season, even IF we didn't win again (which is unlikely!)

Would this thread have appeared if we'd got a result yesterday btw? In the Cup. Away. Against the joint Premier League leaders.

The day Keegan was appointed manager, people were screaming for a strengthening of the squad. This thread has "happened" because of the Woodgate story, not the Arsenal result.

By the way, in case anyone is getting me wrong... I'm not saying we WILL go down, I'm saying that we COULD.

We could qualify for Europe too.

Both are as unlikely to happen. Of course it's silly to be complacent, but I don't think even Allardyce would have taken us down. The change in manager should cement our top-flight status.

Well it's all sorted then. According to this thread both Martins and Geremi will be transformed from useless tossers to top class footballers, and we'll finish top half.

So why are we even talking about trying to sign players, when we only need those 2 back?

Love the optimism guys, wish I could share it :(

The same Martins that safed us from relegation last season scoring 17 goals in a dog shit team with a dog shit manager and set up? Martins is quality and i am fully confident he will do very well under Keegan.

11 goals to save us from relegation.

The point being made is that it's not just losing games that will get you relegated, it's other teams below you winning, and there aren't more than 3 teams below us that are better than us thus meaning we won't finish inside the relegation zone this season, even IF we didn't win again (which is unlikely!)

A team went down last season with 38 points.

That's the most irrelevant statistic ever.

You might as well have said "Antoine Sibierski doesn't have any hair"

Is it though? You're claiming that we're safe on 27 points.

Someone earlier in the thread posted a list of teams who we are better than, nearly all of whom took points off us. I've now posted a form table, which puts us second bottom.

Do people realistically think that without strengthening the squad, we won't be dragged into a relegation battle? On the evidence of what??

I think the current panic is due it becoming clear that we're not going to be bringing anybody in during this window, and in half a season of relatively easy fixtures with our current squad we're still not beyond the threat of relegation. That said, with the quality of teams below, i can't see us going down.

Any need to change the title of his thread because you disagree with it, by the way?

I think the current panic is due it becoming clear that we're not going to be bringing anybody in during this window, and in half a season of relatively easy fixtures with our current squad we're still not beyond the threat of relegation. That said, with the quality of teams below, i can't see us going down.

Any need to change the title of his thread because you disagree with it, by the way?

You've said that much better than I could, thanks.

For the record, I think Bolton are going down anyway.

Someone earlier in the thread posted a list of teams who we are better than, nearly all of whom took points off us. I've now posted a form table, which puts us second bottom.

Do people realistically think that without strengthening the squad, we won't be dragged into a relegation battle? On the evidence of what??

Where is our evidence of us being dragged into one?

It's just your opinion that we are going to lose more games than those below us. Which the majority disagrees with.

But they wouldn't NEED to be unbeaten, for God's sake !!!!!

Just getting a couple of wins while we're getting beat - you don't seem to be aware that THAT'S WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING ALREADY :kasper:

You're correct of course that some of the teams below us have been gaining on us in the last 10 games, but not enough of them and none of them enough to show they'll finish above us.  Here's the points gained for the bottom 9 teams in the last 10 games (plus projected points total based on those points):

Derby - 1 points (9)

Fulham - 3 points (20)

Newcastle - 9 points (41)

Birmingham - 9 points (34)

Reading - 9 points (36)

Sunderland - 10 points (35)

Boro - 12 points  (40)

Wigan - 12 points (38)

Bolton - 13 points (41)

For us to have any problem Brum, Reading, Sunderland, Boro, Wigan and Bolton are all going to have to improve on there points per game average over the next 15 games and we have to get worse, is that likely?  I realise we have some difficult teams coming up, but we now have the plus point of not being managed by Allardyce :)  Also is it really likely that none of those other teams have harder games coming up then they had in the previous 10 games?, that's extremely unlikely IMO.

I'm not claiming we're safe on 27 points.

I'm saying that since three teams are relegated, of those below us more than 3 will have to overtake us for us to be relegated. With the likes of Derby, Sunderland and Fulham down there, the chances of us going down are about as likely as us qualifying for the Champions League.

People are also forgetting that if teams take points off us, it doesn't mean they take points off other teams (e.g. Derby).

We may have dropped points against them but other teams aren't.

Where is our evidence of us being dragged into one?

It's just your opinion that we are going to lose more games than those below us. Which the majority disagrees with.

Erm, our form?

Well it's all sorted then. According to this thread both Martins and Geremi will be transformed from useless tossers to top class footballers, and we'll finish top half.

So why are we even talking about trying to sign players, when we only need those 2 back?

Love the optimism guys, wish I could share it :(

I don't see any optimism, just realism and daft pessimism.

Which form table are you referring to?

The one I posted on the previous page ;)

http://www.footballanorak.com/FA-Barclaycard-Premiership-Form-Guide-0.html

Because the last 6 games count for the entire season.

I could so easily just say look at the first 6 games of the season to show what the team can do. Won 3, Drew 2, Lost 1. Means the same.

Form counts for nothing if you switch a manager inbetween it. Keegan had no effect in 5 of the last 6 games. He could turn it around easily in the next 6 games, there's no proof either way.

Shearergol do you think we're going to get relegated then?

Have you read any of my posts?

I've said I think Bolton will be the third team to get relegated (with Derby and Fulham) but it's likely that without improving our squad (specifically the midfield) then we'll be dragged into a battle.

The one I posted on the previous page ;)

http://www.footballanorak.com/FA-Barclaycard-Premiership-Form-Guide-0.html

Because the last 6 games count for the entire season.

I could so easily just say look at the first 6 games of the season to show what the team can do. Won 3, Drew 2, Lost 1. Means the same.

Form counts for nothing if you switch a manager inbetween it. Keegan had no effect in 5 of the last 6 games. He could turn it around easily in the next 6 games, there's no proof either way.

Come on, that's a bit of a daft argument. How we're playing NOW has much more effect than how we played 4 months ago.

And I've agreed with you on that last line throughout this thread. What annoys me is the "we're too good to go down" shite which is being spouted (not by you by the way).

Don't be so stupid..  Nobody really cares about Geremi and you know it, the players people think will improve us from the African Nations are Beye, Faye and Martins, which they will do.  Also nobody's mentioned top half, we just aren't silly enough to believe we're going to get relegated.

Guest Knightrider

I've said I think Bolton will be the third team to get relegated (with Derby and Fulham) but it's likely that without improving our squad (specifically the midfield) then we'll be dragged into a battle.

So basically, no, you don't think we will be relegated either. Like the majority of the responses in this thread...

So basically, no, you don't think we will be relegated either. Like the majority of the responses in this thread...

I don't think we're good enough to guarantee that we won't. I think we'll finish much closer to the bottom 3 than we will to the top 7. Where do you think we'll finish?