Keegan can't fail as far as I'm concerned

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

You were harping on about fat Sam being great the other week because he's what you might call a tactical manager

No I wasn't. I don't think I ever said Big Sam was a tactical genius or highlighted that area as a reason why we should stick with him, least of all over any other thing. I did however consider that a plus point when we appointed him. Doesn't surprise me your response though.

Sunday Sun

Kev's happy with new destination

Jan 27 2008

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

KEVIN KEEGAN has vowed not to repeat his infamous “it’s not like it said in the brochure” walk-out at Newcastle second time around . . .

Because his return trip to Tyneside was a “lastminute.com” booking!

And Keegan insists he is delighted with the staff, facilities and management which have welcomed him back.

So much so that the Magpies Messiah has . . .

#  HAILED the unlamented Sam Allardyce’s work at St James’s Park. # VOWED not to dismantle his predecessor’s 20-plus backroom staff.

#  INSISTED Newcastle is a bigger club than the one he left behind – and that he is more optimistic of bringing trophies to the Toon now than ever before.

#  REFUSED to rule out the prospect of making signings as stunning as Spurs’ Dimitar Berbatov.

Keegan famously – if temporarily – stormed out of St James’s after just 40 days of his first stint in charge, issuing the notorious “brochure” comment as he left.

But with a rebuilt stadium, new training ground and the financial muscle of owner Mike Ashley now at his disposal, KK insists walk-outs are a thing of the past.

Reminded of the events of 1992, Keegan said: “This is one of these lastminute.com holidays. There was no brochure – I just came!” And what he has found has only added to the determination to succeed where he so gloriously failed last time around.

“I like a lot of it. I think it’s the way forward,” Keegan said of Allardyce’s scientific approach and extensive coaching and scouting network.

“What a manager wants is as much information as he can get about players.

“At the end of the day, his judgement is in his eyes and in his experience in looking at players and how they are.

“But it’s good to know where players are. It’s good to know how hard they’re working. It’s good to know all about them, if only just to back up what you’re thinking.

“So I think a lot of what Sam has put in place here is excellent.” And that could mean a reprieve for many of Allardyce’s myriad minions.

Keegan vowed: “I’ll have a look at them, see what they bring to the party and if I don’t think it’s worthwhile then I’ll do something about it.

“It would be terribly unfair to come in and say: ‘Well, Sam fetched these guys in. They’re not my guys.

“But at the moment, I’ve got to say I’m very impressed with the staff here. We’ve got everything we need and more than I’ve ever had at any other club.

“To just dismiss it would be really stupid on my part.” Keegan added: “It’s a big club now – a much bigger club than the one I left.

“I’m more optimistic now because the things that we wanted before, we had to work very, very hard to get. There was nothing there, and there’s a lot here now.

“We’ve got the opposite problem now. Then, we were striving for this sort of thing. Now, we are saying: ‘Wow, it’s so big. Can we just pull it back in so we make full use of everything?’

“Can we just package it and pull it all together? Can we get this or that a bit better? Can we get everybody rowing the same way?”

And Keegan has made it clear he is firmly committed to answering the accusation that he is indifferent to Newcastle’s youth system.

“This club, invariably, has not bought or brought on kids. All the other clubs have,” he admitted.

“Can we do that in the future? I think that if we say ‘no’ we are always going to be behind the other big clubs.”

But buying big – with Ashley’s riches at his disposal – is an immediate priority.

“There’s an evens chance of us getting one player in this week,” said Keegan, who is confident of landing Middlesbrough’s former United defender Jonathan Woodgate.

“To get two in now we’d be swimming the Channel, I think.

“But you never know, we might surprise ourselves and the last week of the transfer window invariably sees clubs make decisions which make you think: ‘Wow, I never expected that.’ “We’re only looking at Premier League players. We’re not looking to bring anyone in from abroad unless they were really world-class and established, and invariably they don’t come around in this transfer window.”

Even Berbatov has been mentioned as a possible target, despite a price tag of at least £30 million.

When asked about the Bulgarian star, Keegan insisted: “I wouldn’t rule anybody out. We’re looking at every team and I’m sure everybody else is looking at our players as well.”

You were harping on about fat Sam being great the other week because he's what you might call a tactical manager

No I wasn't. I don't think I ever said Big Sam was a tactical genius or highlighted that area as a reason why we should stick with him, least of all over any other thing. I did however consider that a plus point when we appointed him. Doesn't surprise me your response though.

I didn't say you said he was a tactical genius, you did however highlight all of the things that were good about him when we employed him and insisted his way of doing things were correct, you even said you were through with the club when they sacked him as you thought it was a huge mistake, a few weeks later you're throwing your weight behind someone else who is the complete opposite of what you claimed was the right way of doing things a fortnight ago.

And you're doing this while still being your usual condescending self. O0

I've got a really bad feeling that the third coming of KK is going to be a disaster.  ???

For what Keegan has done for our club he deserves another crack at it. If it ends up going tits-up, so be it, there's nowt we can do about it.

What we mustn't do as supporters is be influenced by the cockney press, who would 'love it' if it all goes wrong and are already trying to get the ball of negativity rolling.

We can either help Kev by being 100% behind him or contribute to our own downfall be thinking negatively.

I've got a really bad feeling that the third coming of KK is going to be a disaster.  ???

For what Keegan has done for our club he deserves another crack at it. If it ends up going tits-up, so be it, there's nowt we can do about it.

What we mustn't do as supporters is be influenced by the cockney press, who would 'love it' if it all goes wrong and are already trying to get the ball of negativity rolling.

We can either help Kev by being 100% behind him or contribute to our own downfall be thinking negatively.

If anything, the London press are helping us close ranks and generating a "them and us" attitude.

If anything, the London press are helping us close ranks and generating a "them and us" attitude.

you think? personally i think the booing will be back before the end of the season

you think? personally i think the booing will be back before the end of the season

I would be amazed if that happened. I really hope not.

Will really feel like jacking it all in if that happens. No way back after booing of KK after 4 months of trying to rescue us from Sam's mess.

Will really feel like jacking it all in if that happens. No way back after booing of KK after 4 months of trying to rescue us from Sam's mess.

i'd be gutted about it but no way would i be surprised, booing at half time against villa said it all for me, first home game of the season, following a very successful first day win away, playing a good team in villa, 0-0, boos, bunch of cunts man

i'd be gutted about it but no way would i be surprised, booing at half time against villa said it all for me, first home game of the season, following a very successful first day win away, playing a good team in villa, 0-0, boos, bunch of cunts man

Absolutely. We can only hope that those people that boo'd at the AV game have learnt a valuable lesson. I too have doubts over the mentality of people like that though

Absolutely. We can only hope that those people that boo'd at the AV game have learnt a valuable lesson. I too have doubts over the mentality of people like that though

they're idiots, and they're everywhere, there was a bloke in the pub yesterday who was livid, and i mean LIVID, whenever arsenal strung two passes together, even at 0-0, even in their own half, going 'haway man get a fucking boot in'

if the pub hadnt been so busy i would have walked up to him and asked him what his problem was, unfortunately people like that dont usually take criticism too well and you cant have anything resembling a conversation with them

oh and during the first derby game, someone at the bar said, after TEN minutes 'we should be hammering them by now'