Munich air disaster - a fine example of where the media's loyalty lies

Guest Phil K

We're still waiting for a minutes' silence for Jackie Milburn!

You would have got one if he'd played for Man Utd.  A minute's applause would be appropriate for Milburn, to celebrate his life and what he achieved.  A minute's silence at Old Trafford is the right thing to do, to remember all 23 who died, not just to celebrate the lives of a select few.  Not much chance of the minute's silence being observed though.  In fact, none at all imho.

Just be glad it didnt happen a few years ago, then it would of been Islamic fundamentalists causing heavy snow fall that caused the plane to take crash.

The press will always wank over man u, its something i'm used to but I have to say the current state of the media is due to the use of 24 hour news, so they either have to fill in with shit or go OTT with the stuff they have.

Edit

I think at OT on sunday there is more chance of a minutes silence during the game the way the united fans have been this season.

Well I was at croke park last night to watch Ireland v Brazil and it was one of the worst minutes silence ever!It was for one of the Irish players who died as well but I think the dumb Brazalians hadn a  clue what was going on!!!

Btw Duff played well,but Given was alright not at his best,missed one cross but besides that was  gd!

Just be glad it didnt happen a few years ago, then it would of been Islamic fundamentalists causing heavy snow fall that caused the plane to take crash.

The press will always w*** over man u, its something i'm used to but I have to say the current state of the media is due to the use of 24 hour news, so they either have to fill in with s*** or go OTT with the stuff they have.

Edit

I think at OT on sunday there is more chance of a minutes silence during the game the way the united fans have been this season.

:iamatwat: Funny cos its true!

Guest POWNATS

Duncan Edwards was a colossus at 21 according to everybody I know who saw him play. Man U were in the semis, had won the league at a canter for two seasons  and England would have benefited immensely in the '60s. They were on a par with the great contiental teams at that time and would have got better. Edwards by all accounts would have ranked up there with the great ones of the game.

A tragedy that manure have had a lot of mileage from,  but don't ignore what people who saw them play have to say and they weren't manchester fans at all.

I would have loved to see Duncan Edwards play.

At 22, the likes of N'zogbia wouldn't have been fit  to lace his boots.

unfortunatley you tend to get this with every generation as they get older, start to glorify the past.

seems to give their lifetime/generation more importance.

They cant do it with quantifiable sports, things that have world records etc, because the holder of the record is nearly always still performing or recently retired.

They have to choose things like football or boxing.

then its an opinion and cant be proven or disproven

As for Busby n is babes give it a rest for christs sake, nobody outside manchester gives a flyin fuck.

Tragic....yeah but long since past its grieve by date

Duncan Edwards........whatever.

Seen alot of film of Stanly Mathews, if cameras hadn't been invented we,d all be convinced mathews was god

For me he was aided by some of the worst defending you could ever see and he was no Ronaldo

Truth is your probably seeing the best footballers that ever lived today or recently retired

As for N'Zogbia lacing his boots....

No disrespect to the those that died but it was 50 years ago and every year they act like it was only the previous year when it happened.

Time to give it a rest and just have a low key rememberance,man city asked if they could have a 1 min round of applause instead of a minutes silence but man u knocked that idea.

All areas of the media went over the top when KK returned. All of a sudden Radio 5 was live from St James' etc. The press etc blow everything out of all proportion these days.

At LEAST as much sneering digs as "reporting"

Not exactly like for like with the almost religous looniness over the Munich business.

Truth is your probably seeing the best footballers that ever lived today or recently retired

Matter of opinion. I think myself that theres many of todays players wouldn't get in the reserve teams of teams from 70's.

Exceptions being like Ronaldo and a few others. Also the defending was as bad now as in the 70s and 80s (at least ours is.... :weep:)

Well I was at croke park last night to watch Ireland v Brazil and it was one of the worst minutes silence ever!It was for one of the Irish players who died as well

To be honest, I always respect minutes silences, but would be tempted to BOO this over the top sh*te. I'm honestly expecting the rags to expect a minutes silence in BARS tonight for the fr*gg*ng thing....

We're still waiting for a minutes' silence for Jackie Milburn!

Absolutely.

If he'd played for Man U the rags would've have demanded a sodding days national grieving....

I love how some people will use positively ANY excuse to needlessly put down one of our own.

Even more laughable when he's basing it on bloody pensioners who probably never saw Duncan Edwards play (no live TV games remember) who are basing everything on what the rags are telling them (who are doing the same - heresay and legend - and MYTH)

In short - how effing long is this going to go on - JUST because its Man U ? Will they be doing this in 2208 ?

If it had been Newcastle or Sunderland would there have been the same song and dance ?

No, it would've been FORGOTTEN outside the area.

Screw em all - every floods of tears football journo and BBC frontman.

F**** em.

Guest Slippery Sam

I truly wish he has many many more years yet, but I wonder if there will be a national minute's silence for SBR when he leaves us.

I truly wish he has many many more years yet, but I wonder if there will be a national minute's silence for SBR when he leaves us.

Yes, and they'll use it to attack Newcastle.

Want to bet ?

Want to bet ?

Being paranoid now like.

Want to bet ?

Being paranoid now like.

You want to bet they'll not try to make Newcastle (not just Shepherd) the moustache twisting evil club that sacked genial Bobby ?

You have more (naive) faith in the media than i do, Alex mate !

Remember how one minute the rags were sniggering at a club (us) using an old feller as manager who forgets the name of the team he's commenting on, and falls asleep during commenatries (read this but can't recall him doing so) then act all outraged when we actually do stand him down.

Want to bet ?

Being paranoid now like.

You want to bet they'll not try to make Newcastle (not just Shepherd) the moustache twisting evil club that sacked genial Bobby ?

You have more (naive) faith in the media than i do, Alex mate !

Sorry misunderstood you there. I agree actually. The fact he was forced out of the England job will be largely ignored too.

It's great hearing all the pundits going on about how great the Busby Babes were when they weren't even born at the time of the aircrash.

They were great in their day but compare them to the top players in this day and age and i reckon todays players would walk all over them.

I only go back to the 70s, but 90% of todays players appear to have SO little genuine football ability, they would be unlikely to get into reserve teams from those days.

There is this "automatic" assumption made by many people (mainly the young-uns who have 'nowt' to compare it to!) that MODERN IS BETTER / NOW IS BETTER. Whereas the reverse is usually true!!

Todays players are "fitter" / "eat better" / "drink less" / "run a bit faster" . .  but better??  -  FAR from it!

I think both arguments are ridiculous as you can only really compare players against other players from their own era. Obviously some giants of the game stand-out etc.

Guest POWNATS

They were great in their day but compare them to the top players in this day and age and i reckon todays players would walk all over them.

I only go back to the 70s, but 90% of todays players appear to have SO little genuine football ability, they would be unlikely to get into reserve teams from those days.

There is this "automatic" assumption made by many people (mainly the young-uns who have 'nowt' to compare it to!) that MODERN IS BETTER / NOW IS BETTER. Whereas the reverse is usually true!!

Todays players are "fitter" / "eat better" / "drink less" / "run a bit faster" . .  but better??  -  FAR from it!

Why is it then any sport that has records or performance stats the best are still performing now.

explain that

Footballers in the 70's......who

Johan one turn Cruyff

Franz the statue Beckembaur

Bobby long shot Charlton

I'll take Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane any day

Given a straight choice between Pele or Ronaldo its Ronaldo every time, ask Ferguson to choose might be interesting

Name me a better striker than Henry or Drogba or Kaka

This diggin up the past  ok for a bit of debate at the bar when the conversation dries up, everyone does it

Things move on we just got to accept it

Why is it then any sport that has records or performance stats the best are still performing now.

explain that

Johan one turn Cruyff

Bobby long shot Charlton

Given a straight choice between Pele or Ronaldo its Ronaldo every time, ask Ferguson to choose might be interesting

This diggin up the past  ok for a bit of debate at the bar when the conversation dries up, everyone does it

Gert Muller

Brian Howard Cluff

Wor Jackie

and to suggestthat Ronaldo is better than Pele shows that you've never watched a single game of football ............    mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

explain that

Johan one turn Cruyff

Bobby long shot Charlton

:lol: I reckon Fergie might just take Pele like.

Henry or Drogba or Kaka

Ferenc Puskas

BANG

he off star trek

Who off Star Trek ? Worf or Captain Picard ?

Patrick's a decent footie player (from Barnsley) but I doubt a Klingon would do much (good defender maybe)