With the inevitable clear out in the summer......

Incognito

Why would players,who think they will be offloaded in the summer,play their hearts out till the seasons end.Its worrying to me that its in the public domain that there will be casualties in the summer,and in our current situation,it doesnt fill me with optimism.Any one feel the same.

Guest LucaAltieri

I'd have hoped it would motivate them to play better, thinking they were now in the shop window. But you may be right, it may not have that motivating impulse at all.

If it doesn't motivate the players and they clearly don't give a toss, is that the kind of player we want in the side anyway? It's probably a good way to weed out the bad attitudes and spot the players who are prepared to fight for their place at the club.

I'd have hoped it would motivate them to play better, thinking they were now in the shop window. But you may be right, it may not have that motivating impulse at all.

If it doesn't motivate the players and they clearly don't give a toss, is that the kind of player we want in the side anyway? It's probably a good way to weed out the bad attitudes and spot the players who are prepared to fight for their place at the club.

I agree,but how many with heart and fight have we got???

Guest LucaAltieri

I agree,but how many with heart and fight have we got???

Fair point.... of the players most at risk I'd not expect too much from Carr and Butt over the rest of the season. They have shown themselves to be able to raise their game for brief periods but not for a sustained length of time. I'm optimistic about Duff and Owen.

EDIT: As Dave points out, with Smith effort isn't really the problem. He's as good as gone in my opinion.

Generally I would say the attitude of the players has been good. Obviously you've got the odd notable exception in there but it's aptitude rather than attitude that's been our big problem this season.

Generally I would say the attitude of the players has been good. Obviously you've got the odd notable exception in there but it's aptitude rather than attitude that's been our big problem this season.

I'd go with that. Even the complete shithouses have been trying.

Guest LucaAltieri

It all depends what we mean by "trying" really, doesn't it? Are we talking about attitude during the games or the determination to make sure they're getting things right, working on their weaknesses during training sessions, learning how to play the system the manager wants (and in Butt's case; learning how to pass the ball to a team mate).

It's easy to look the part during the game. Having a "good attitude" is another thing altogether.

It all depends what we mean by "trying" really, doesn't it? Are we talking about attitude during the games or the determination to make sure they're getting things right, working on their weaknesses during training sessions, learning how to play the system the manager wants (and in Butt's case; learning how to pass the ball to a team mate).

It's easy to look the part during the game. Having a "good attitude" is another thing altogether.

Touché.

I was mainly on about stuff I know is definitely true, i.e. what I see on the pitch with my own. Take most rumours about things with a pinch of salt.

Guest LucaAltieri

I was mainly on about stuff I know is definitely true, i.e. what I see on the pitch with my own. Take most rumours about things with a pinch of salt.

Well I wasn't on about training stories per se, I was more suggesting that there's a difference between running around like a headless chicken "attitude" and getting your head down and improving "attitude" - with the latter being evidence of hard work in training in addition to stepping up in games. Obviously we have no real measure of that other than what we see on the pitch.

Well I wasn't on about training stories per se, I was more suggesting that there's a difference between running around like a headless chicken "attitude" and getting your head down and improving "attitude" - with the latter being evidence of hard work in training in addition to stepping up in games. Obviously we have no real measure of that other than what we see on the pitch.

Unless you know stuff about players having a bad attitude I'm not sure what you're on about.

Guest LucaAltieri

Unless you know stuff about players having a bad attitude I'm not sure what you're on about.

Well it's not particularly difficult. Like I said...

I was more suggesting that there's a difference between running around like a headless chicken "attitude" and getting your head down and improving "attitude"

...I'm not getting into training ground rumours and whatnot... but there's no debate that Owen*, Butt, Carr, and the like are playing below the standard we know they're capable of. It's not a question of a lack of quality (as the case is with Smith) they're simply under performing. A couple of you mentioned that everyone seems to be trying of a Saturday. I was merely pointing out that there's a difference between trying hard during a game and actually working hard all week to improve your ability (reducing the need for headless chicken mode).

That fact players can run around a lot and still get nowhere suggests to me that there's a problem with the preperation. That could be down to a number of reason but I'm more inclined to blame the players than the coaches. It can't be a coincidence that a number of coaches and managers are struggling to get the players up to the standard they should be.

Looking at it from the other side; N'Zogbia playing well even in a shite team would suggest a good work ethic on a personal level. Others evidently just can't be arsed.

* has been better lately.

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen has looked better since Keegan's arrival, whether due to finally a sustained fitness record (had to be disheartening, getting all those injuries) or because Keegan has given him some hope that the ball will actually go forward in a way that fits Owen's style (more likely, in my opinion) or for whatever reason, this can only mean good things for Newcastle.  Owen, when playing to his own standard, is an incredibly gifted striker.  Hopefully, Keegan will have the same improving affect on Martins and can get the two of them playing together -- Martins' is more creative/unpredictable, but Owen is more consistent/predictable -- and a settled midfield should see an improvement in Newcastle's results.  Personally, I already think there has been an improvement in performances )at least in the first half), just not the results.  If Keegan can get the lads to play a decent second half, results will come.  Once we get done playing ManUtd at any rate. 

Owen has looked better since Keegan's arrival, whether due to finally a sustained fitness record (had to be disheartening, getting all those injuries) or because Keegan has given him some hope that the ball will actually go forward in a way that fits Owen's style (more likely, in my opinion) or for whatever reason, this can only mean good things for Newcastle.  Owen, when playing to his own standard, is an incredibly gifted striker.  Hopefully, Keegan will have the same improving affect on Martins and can get the two of them playing together -- Martins' is more creative/unpredictable, but Owen is more consistent/predictable -- and a settled midfield should see an improvement in Newcastle's results.  Personally, I already think there has been an improvement in performances )at least in the first half), just not the results.  If Keegan can get the lads to play a decent second half, results will come.  Once we get done playing ManUtd at any rate. 

I agree, I think there has already been an improvement, I haven't seen this 'inevitable clearout' affect performances on the field at all. We tend to lose it after conceding a goal but that is I think a different matter. Once we get past ManU and don't get thrashed 6-0 I think we'll start getting some points again and the players will improve more with that. They are professionals they are used to the fact that at the end of every season a new player can be bought in to replace them. Same at any club in the world.

Looking at NUFC.Com's player list, only Carr, Ramage and Troisi's contracts end in the Summer. The fact that they are free to talk to other clubs now and no other team has come in for them shows how in demand they will be.

No they are not, 6 weeks until contract expiry if another English club wants them, i doubt their rep carries too far of these shores.

Looking at NUFC.Com's player list, only Carr, Ramage and Troisi's contracts end in the Summer. The fact that they are free to talk to other clubs now and no other team has come in for them shows how in demand they will be.

No they are not, 6 weeks until contract expiry if another English club wants them, i doubt their rep carries too far of these shores.

Their contracts run out in June. I thought players in the last six months of their contract were free to talk to other clubs.

Their contracts run out in June. I thought players in the last six months of their contract were free to talk to other clubs.

Changed a few years ago. Think about Chelsea signing Ben Hiam & Sidwell, they couldn't talk to them until the summer, however Real were looking at BH at Feb time and could of signed him pre contract but didn't think he was good enough.