Indoor/5-a-side football

Nobby

I played tonight, drew 8-8 and scored 3.

Usually play 5-a-sides three times a week and a full game on Saturday morning.

I enjoy playing fives because you can try things that you wouldn't normally try with it being a completely flat surface.  I prefer elevens though - it's a good excuse for a fight  :knuppel2:

Guest Knightrider

I play good old fashioned park football a few times a week for an hour or so after a lengthy spell of not playing at all. The pace is still there but when I use my burst to get to the ball I'm f***** after that. You know you've lost it when your 9 year old nephew can run rings around you and your 15 year old nephew bullies you off the ball. :D The technique is as good as ever though  :nods:

You told me you were s*** a while back ;)

I was being humble.  :razz: Actually thinking about my 'ability' I'm not that bad to be fair to myself. My control is sloppy and very poor but I have decent technique and can proudly say that I am comfortably and genuinly two-footed. I'm not the strongest physically and I'm piss poor in the air and skills wise, I have none. You won't catch me doing a trick. I'm not the most elegant at dribbling either (due to my poor control) but I'm lightning quick and my decision making is of a high standard. I also work extremely hard, have good leadership qualities as I am very vocal and I have an excellent attitude on the pitch. I also have good spatial awareness and a creative brain, not that what I try comes off all that often.

All down to a street football education too.

so basically,you are quick,know what to do but don't have the talent to do it ?

On the ball I have good technique, but when it comes towards me, my control is poor like. As for talent, naturally. I reckon I'm not too bad though at strictly pub team level.

Guest Knightrider

Apparently it's my co-ordination which is to blame for poor control, hence why I can't dribble to save my life. This may also explain when I go to head a cross, well... I either completely fluff it after connecting, or don't connect at all, easy balls and tough ones. I'm an embarrassment in the air for a 6 footer. I'm better with the ball at my feet and some time or chasing down a pass on the deck or one that is over the top that I can run onto and then get under control, rather than trying to control it dropping which just balloons all over the place :D

Btw if anyone's still playing and would like to become two footed or improve your other foot, a few hours practice a week for 6 weeks kicking a ball off a wall will improve your weaker foot immeasurably and obviously the more your practice, the better you'll become. Give it a try, I guarantee you'll improve at least 50% in that time. Dead easy.

Apparently it's my co-ordination which is to blame for poor control, hence why I can't dribble to save my life. This may also explain when I go to head a cross, well... I either completely fluff it after connecting, or don't connect at all, easy balls and tough ones. I'm an embarrassment in the air for a 6 footer. I'm better with the ball at my feet and some time or chasing down a pass on the deck or one that is over the top that I can run onto and then get under control, rather than trying to control it dropping which just balloons all over the place :D

Btw if anyone's still playing and would like to become two footed or improve your other foot, a few hours practice a week for 6 weeks kicking a ball off a wall will improve your weaker foot immeasurably and obviously the more your practice, the better you'll become. Give it a try, I guarantee you'll improve at least 50% in that time. Dead easy.

I heard a good training method is to play Wall with someone else. You have to kick the ball at the wall in such a way that the other player can't return it, so you end up having to play the ball at some really awkward moments which you otherwise would avoid.

I heard a good training method is to play Wall with someone else. You have to kick the ball at the wall in such a way that the other player can't return it, so you end up having to play the ball at some really awkward moments which you otherwise would avoid.

Wallie! Its been a while. What a game!

Guest Knightrider

Never played it myself, but the you, the wall and the ball only method is not only designed to improve your weaker foot in terms of technique, but also control and anticipation as you will have to receive the returning ball and if you blast it, have to react quickly to control it. Most people use their stronger foot to recieve the ball back off the wall having played it with their weaker foot, I used to spin after hitting the ball with my left foot so I could turn full circle on the ball coming back so it would land at my left again, so it's constantly on the weaker foot both kicking (technique) and receiving (control). I would practice for hours as a kid as we had a wall at the back of the garden and today I'm probably better with my left than my right and it's weird as my natural instinct is to use my left in almost everything rather than my right.

Guest Knightrider

One game we used to play at Newcastle College using the Rye Hill sports centre indoor footy thing, two goals at either end, 2 vs 2, had to hit the ball either without bouncing or just one bounce and score a goal. You were either the attacker or defender (take turns), defender had to stay outside box and therefore goal to at least make target area hitable but couldn't move much forward, where as attacker was there to basically try and charge down or react to balls that came off the wall and not allowed towards goal area. (when you were the one attacking you could move anywhere inside your half of the pitch) No-one was allowed past half way line. Fucking brilliant game and a good challenge because it was hard to score and you were always on your feet. Also, because you couldn't go outside your own zone when defending, the other two players on the other half would try and snooker you, cut you out the game. Used to sweat gallons playing that game. Only pisser, blisters. Fuck me. Haven't played that game for years, improves volleying technique no end and stamina.

is that not the game known as "spot" ?

and isn't keefaz's wembley doubles not "world cup doubles" ?

"garages" was my own personal favourite

We always called it 'wall ball'. World cup doubles is correct.

Dunno. Wallie is definitely also called Spot. World Cup doubles was called Wembley Doubles in my street, or just Wemblies, or just Cupsies.

I used to play every monday, really really loved playing.

Got in the way of student night up town though :(

I really enjoyed playing centre back and attacking every now and again