Keegan will have £100M to spend

thedudeabides

If we can finish the season on a high, which I think we will, I can see Newcastle United under Keegan being a big draw again. We might be able to compete for players that you would have thought were out of reach otherwise. I could quite easily see David Bentley for example, wanting to be part of the Keegan revolution if we can keep playing the type of football we have in the last few games. I am looking forward to the summer activity to say the least.

If we can finish the season on a high, which I think we will, I can see Newcastle United under Keegan being a big draw again. We might be able to compete for players that you would have thought were out of reach otherwise. I could quite easily see David Bentley for example, wanting to be part of the Keegan revolution if we can keep playing the type of football we have in the last few games. I am looking forward to the summer activity to say the least.

You've changed your tune.

Bollocks man! Not so long ago it was Mort has failed the first test, Keegan has put us in danger by not signing anyone, should have gave fat Sam the season even though his football was diabolical etc and now you're as happy as a pig in shit.

Bollocks man! Not so long ago it was Mort has failed the first test, Keegan has put us in danger by not signing anyone, should have gave fat Sam the season even though his football was diabolical etc and now you're as happy as a pig in shit.

It's probably cause I can't predict the future.  :rolleyes:

FFS!

Changing the manager in Jan is always a gamble and the changeover was a fiasco of sorts. Needed debating. I suppose you knew it would all be alright.  :lol:

It's probably cause I can't predict the future.  :rolleyes:

FFS!

Changing the manager in Jan is always a gamble and the changeover was a fiasco of sorts. Needed debating. I suppose you knew it would all be alright.  :lol:

Course he did, hence all the reassuring posts he made.

So where's everyone who said it was a mistake that Keegan didn't sign anyone? ;)

I'm here :D

We'll see in summer if it was a mistake or not though.

:D

Whatever happens, Keegan made a decision which has given him 4 more months to take a look at the players that he has at his disposal and 4 more months for him to extensively scout the players that he might end up buying.

He's been vindicated in his decision to stick with the squad and see the season through :)

I can't predict the future Parky, I did however have faith in the bloke that he was doing the right thing, pointing out the Andy Cole sale as a situation where he was prepared to wait for the right man. That wasn't my point anyway, my point was you having a dig at someone for something you're guilty of yourself.

I can't predict the future Parky, I did however have faith in the bloke that he was doing the right thing, pointing out the Andy Cole sale as a situation where he was prepared to wait for the right man. That wasn't my point anyway, my point was you having a dig at someone for something you're guilty of yourself.

I was laughed off the board when I suggested we needed to spend £100m.... :razz:

That's the only point I was making.

Maybe I can see the future. :laugh2:

So where's everyone who said it was a mistake that Keegan didn't sign anyone? ;)

Whatever happens, Keegan made a decision which has given him 4 more months to take a look at the players that he has at his disposal and 4 more months for him to extensively scout the players that he might end up buying.

He's been vindicated in his decision to stick with the squad and see the season through :)

By not getting relegated? Thats all we cared about on Jan 15th? Ok ???

One performance doesnt make a season but if this is backed up by wins against Reading and Portsmouth, i'll agree with you.

As it stands, in reality, we are just another side to have knocked 4 past Spurs this season.

You've changed your tune.

It's actually the other way round, I'm saying exactly what I was saying before, it's you who has changed your tune. I said all along it was perfect timing to sack Big Sam, and you thought we should have waited till the summer when we could get a manager who hadn't been out of touch with the game. I wasn't going to mention it but since you brought it up :lol:

One performance doesnt make a season but if this is backed up by wins against Reading and Portsmouth, i'll agree with you.

As it stands, in reality, we are just another side to have knocked 4 past Spurs this season.

We were always going to end up as a mid-table team with or without Allardyce because we hadn't accumulated enough points in the easy part of our season so yea, I'd say yea, not getting relegated was the only major goal after Allardyce got sacked. We could have gotten an extra couple of mill from prize money but that would have meant Keegan needing to spend money on players he hadn't scouted and on positions he might have been unsure about (eg. leftback). European football wasn't on the table anyway considering the teams ahead of us at that time, and the fact that now there's only one automatic UEFA Cup place surely vindicates his decision not to spend any money even more.

I don't see how his decision not to sign anyone can be construed as a negative one, especially now with the benefit of hindsight and seeing that the short-term benefits weren't much (the aforementioned couple of mill of prize money) but there was a definitely a long-term risk (paying over-the-top fees and wages for average players) there. He gambled on us surviving and it's worked (barring a crazy collapse), and now he'll be way surer of the positions that need strengthening, the players that will stay/go and of course he's had lots of extra time to eye up prospective players as well.

We were always going to end up as a mid-table team with or without Allardyce because we hadn't accumulated enough points in the easy part of our season so yea, I'd say yea, not getting relegated was the only major goal after Allardyce got sacked. We could have gotten an extra couple of mill from prize money but that would have meant Keegan needing to spend money on players he hadn't scouted and on positions he might have been unsure about (eg. leftback). European football wasn't on the table anyway considering the teams ahead of us at that time, and the fact that now there's only one automatic UEFA Cup place surely vindicates his decision not to spend any money even more.

I don't see how his decision not to sign anyone can be construed as a negative one, especially now with the benefit of hindsight and seeing that the short-term benefits weren't much (the aforementioned couple of mill of prize money) but there was a definitely a long-term risk (paying over-the-top fees and wages for average players) there. He gambled on us surviving and it's worked (barring a crazy collapse), and now he'll be way surer of the positions that need strengthening, the players that will stay/go and of course he's had lots of extra time to eye up prospective players as well.

That was always my reasoning and Mort's to be fair. Keegan would have a far better idea what would be required come the summer after being in charge for part of this season. He's got all his doubts out of the way such as Duf and Smith so he knows which areas to strengthen? Can you imagine going into next season with a new manager thinking those two were top forwards? It would have been another season fucked.

That was always my reasoning and Mort's to be fair. Keegan would have a far better idea what would be required come the summer after being in charge for part of this season. He's got all his doubts out of the way such as Duf and Smith so he knows which areas to strengthen? Can you imagine going into next season with a new manager thinking those two were top forwards? It would have been another season fucked.

You can give props to Mort for 'gambling' with our premiership status but i wont, even when everyone now appears to believe we are going to win the league.

I find it hard to be annoyed with keegan for essentially doing the same, as he's proved to us before that he knows how to take risks. Still didnt feel right being risky with our status as a premiership club. I didnt want them to lose their arses but the 'yeah, nice gamble' attitude is a bit weird if you think about the downside (which i still am, as KK is, just 'looking' up the table today and no more).

And if the gamble comes off, given the level of knowledge of those making those decisions and the probability of it possibly failing, i'm more inclined to hand lady-luck the credit than the Redknapp-tapper Mort.

Guest float one in

And if the gamble comes off, given the level of knowledge of those making those decisions and the probability of it possibly failing, i'm more inclined to hand lady-luck the credit than the Redknapp-tapper Mort.

He who dares wins, Rodders!

You can give props to Mort for 'gambling' with our premiership status but i wont, even when everyone now appears to believe we are going to win the league.

I find it hard to be annoyed with keegan for essentially doing the same, as he's proved to us before that he knows how to take risks. Still didnt feel right being risky with our status as a premiership club. I didnt want them to lose their arses but the 'yeah, nice gamble' attitude is a bit weird if you think about the downside (which i still am, as KK is, just 'looking' up the table today and no more).

We've been over this before so no need to go through the why's and won't's all over again. Things happened in a certain way, but I am pretty glad that Allardyce isn't here, and that Keegan has been able to assess the squad ready for the summer. You call it gambling, I call it planning and forward vision. You'd have Allardyce still at the club, launching balls into orbit with Smith and Viduka waiting for them to land. I'm happy with what we've got right now thanks.

Would be great to see £100m spent in the summer.

We'd be a totally different team. I'm sure KK can spend that kind of cash and create something special, i'm just glad he's done the hard work and got the shower of shite he inherited playing football. Some of these players look like they could be sold for decent money.

Would be great to see £100m spent in the summer.

We'd be a totally different team. I'm sure KK can spend that kind of cash and create something special, i'm just glad he's done the hard work and got the shower of shite he inherited playing football. Some of these players look like they could be sold for decent money.

Very key point that. Keegan's teams always rose in value because the way he plays makes them look good, and if the team starts being succesful, obviously that will also have an effect on the price.