Owen - Appreciation Thread

Decky

Its the change of position/role that very few would or could have anticipated to have worked. Its rejuvinated him and removed that huge problem of him spending an entire game up front doing little to nothing for the team and providing no outlet or pace for the team to work with, waiting for the odd scrap to land his way, then missing it, whereas now that sitter being missed no longer matters because firstly hes involved heavily in build up play throughout the game, and secondly hes getting more chances because of the way he's ghosting into the box from deep.

Hence, the earlier criticisms of him as an out-n-out striker are still perfectly valid - as Keegan would no doubt agree, seeing as hes responsible for the role change. Turning a blind eye to the problem he was presenting, which is what most of his fans/backers were doing, may well have seen us close to relegation for all we know, a thought which seems laughable now but considering the woeful attacking display of the team overall prior to this positional/formation change, and the inability of Owen to actually partner anyone effectively, it could well have been a reality.

As for writing him off, its something easily done for players who have been plain and simple crocks. Maybe he's past these problems, but half a season isnt enough to warrant writing off that lengthy past injury list. I would err on the side of caution when it comes to this, Dyer last season for example stayed injury free for over 6 months iirc, but broke his leg as soon as the season started in the summer. On the other side of the coin, Woodgate was another someone who was written off by most on here during his lengthy injury spell, whereas he seems past that, whilst right now Emre is being written off because of him constantly being in the treatment room. Point being, its impossible to tell who will be another talented player who unfortunately happens to be a sicknote, or who will come out of that bracket and reaffirm their status as a good footballer.

That aside though, hes starting to look a real find in a completely different way than anticipated, so kudos to him and above all Keegan for the improvement. Like many a top player hindered by severe injuries, its taken a change of role and playing style for the quality he does have to become evident again.

Guest alijmitchell

Its the change of position/role that very few would or could have anticipated to have worked. Its rejuvinated him and removed that huge problem of him spending an entire game up front doing little to nothing for the team and providing no outlet or pace for the team to work with, waiting for the odd scrap to land his way, then missing it, whereas now that sitter being missed no longer matters because firstly hes involved heavily in build up play throughout the game, and secondly hes getting more chances because of the way he's ghosting into the box from deep.

Hence, the earlier criticisms of him as an out-n-out striker are still perfectly valid - as Keegan would no doubt agree, seeing as hes responsible for the role change. Turning a blind eye to the problem he was presenting, which is what most of his fans/backers were doing, may well have seen us close to relegation for all we know, a thought which seems laughable now but considering the woeful attacking display of the team overall prior to this positional/formation change, and the inability of Owen to actually partner anyone effectively, it could well have been a reality.

As for writing him off, its something easily done for players who have been plain and simple crocks. Maybe he's past these problems, but half a season isnt enough to warrant writing off that lengthy past injury list. I would err on the side of caution when it comes to this, Dyer last season for example stayed injury free for over 6 months iirc, but broke his leg as soon as the season started in the summer. On the other side of the coin, Woodgate was another who was written off during his lengthy injury spell, and right now Emre is being written off because of him constantly being in the treatment room. Point being, its impossible to tell who will be another talented player who unfortunately happens to be a sicknote, or who will come out of that bracket and reaffirm their status as a good footballer.

That aside though, hes starting to look a real find in a completely different way than anticipated, so kudos to him and above all Keegan for the improvement. Like many a top player hindered by severe injuries, its taken a change of role and playing style for the quality he does have to become evident again.

Excellent post. Keegan, it would seem, may turn out to be to Owen what Robson was to Shearer.

Can see what your saying but it's absurd to even suggest Owen could have got us relegated.

He's not saying that. He's saying that if KK had stuck to the 4-4-2 and left Owen up top and pretty much not involved in our attack, we would probably not have scored against Birmingham, won against Spurs or won today. That's quite a few points gone, no?

Can see what your saying but it's absurd to even suggest Owen could have got us relegated.

He's not saying that. He's saying that if KK had stuck to the 4-4-2 and left Owen up top and pretty much not involved in our attack, we would probably not have scored against Birmingham, won against Spurs or won today. That's quite a few points gone, no?

His point still revolves around Owen. The sentence I quoted that from boils down to Owen being in the team.

During his time under Sam Allardyce he looked like he wanted to leave and he showed no commitment until the last minutes of the transfer window (when it was too late). For that I was angry, he made a promise to us that he would score goals for us when he first signed, and he didn't really fulfill that promise.

Now the messiah is here pulling out his miracles, our team look awesome, especially Owen and our other strikers. So now Owen is doing his job and looking happier, it makes me glad he's here... And hey, fellas, I hate to say it, but what bloody good buys Beye and Faye were from Allardyce!

I'm drunk, been happy for 3 weeks now... not used to it!

Guest LucaAltieri

During his time under Sam Allardyce he looked like he wanted to leave and he showed no commitment until the last minutes of the transfer window (when it was too late). For that I was angry, he made a promise to us that he would score goals for us when he first signed, and he didn't really fulfill that promise.

Now the messiah is here pulling out his miracles, our team look awesome, especially Owen and our other strikers. So now Owen is doing his job and looking happier, it makes me glad he's here... And hey, fellas, I hate to say it, but what bloody good buys Beye and Faye were from Allardyce!

Enrique and Barton aren't bad either.

Sam did well getting the players in. Shame he couldn't get them to play football.

Guest Milburnthedog

Owens doing what he does best. Score goals. Its great news for us and he deserves a new contract as signing a player who scores in 50% of games will cost us £20m+ nowadays. Thats if he wants to stay here, of course.

Guest Knightrider

As for writing him off, its something easily done for players who have been plain and simple crocks. Maybe he's past these problems, but half a season isnt enough to warrant writing off that lengthy past injury list. I would err on the side of caution when it comes to this, Dyer last season for example stayed injury free for over 6 months iirc, but broke his leg as soon as the season started in the summer. On the other side of the coin, Woodgate was another who was written off during his lengthy injury spell, and right now Emre is being written off because of him constantly being in the treatment room. Point being, its impossible to tell who will be another talented player who unfortunately happens to be a sicknote, or who will come out of that bracket and reaffirm their status as a good footballer.

Excellent post. Keegan, it would seem, may turn out to be to Owen what Robson was to Shearer.

Good first post and a very valid point the second post regarding Shearer and Sir Bobby.

Me, I'd still get rid of him in the summer personally or hope we aren't playing him week in week out either up front or in midfield...

Good first post and a very valid point the second post regarding Shearer and Sir Bobby.

Me, I'd still get rid of him in the summer personally or hope we aren't playing him week in week out either up front or in midfield...

Why, exactly?

Enrique and Barton aren't bad either.

Sam did well getting the players in. Shame he couldn't get them to play football.

I think it's still too early to say that about those two, but yeah, I hope they come good too!

Guest Toepoke

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what happens when a good team just decide to man mark Owen and track him constantly. That would blow a large hole in the current formation.

P.S Well done Michael :clap:

Guest LucaAltieri

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what happens when a good team just decide to man mark Owen and track him constantly. That would blow a large hole in the current formation.

Probably not. Owen is dropping off, so if they mark him out of the game then they're going to be leaving more space for Viduka, Martins, and Barton.

Guest Toepoke

Probably not. Owen is dropping off, so if they mark him out of the game then they're going to be leaving more space for Viduka, Martins, and Barton.

I take your point, it would be intresting to see someone try and do it though to see if my point has any validity.

I take your point, it would be intresting to see someone try and do it though to see if my point has any validity.

I noticed James Harper was covering Owen quite bit but once they went behind he slackened off a bit.

Guest VegasToon

I have seen a big change in Owen once he became captain.  I couldn't be happier with his leadership.  I always watch the games again to look at what the players are doing without the ball.  He is out there encouraging others and acting like a captain. 

OWEN!!!  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We can't put his upsurge in form down to wanting to get in shape for the euro's in the summer (cheers McLaren - knob) so can only put it down to the facts that a) he's actually happy and wants to play, b) the formation and his new role seems to be bringing him back to the form that we thought we should have had all along, and lastly c) the Keegan factor - excellent man-management and confidence builder, he could motivate someone on death row tbh.

Thinking about it, there could be a d) he's playing to see if a move comes along in the summer. No real problem from me if thats the case, we probably couldn't have given him away earlier on in the season, so the fact that he's (theoretically) getting interest means that he must be doing something right for us.

I'd offer him a new contract in the summer if it was up to me. Not based just on the last four games, but also the fact that he is a natural goal scorer and as shown if he's given the service he will score. We could try and offload him in the summer but unless we're going to get Anelka, Torres or similar quality (we're not), we'll be risking starting again with an untried in the premiership continental or some cast-off from here.

He's certainly changed my opinion of him with his recent performances, not necessarily the goals but the obvious drive and determination, his apitite has returned and that's great to see.

TBH though he's not the only one, I just finished watching the whole game today, obviously Barton, Butt and Geremi have pulled themselves around too but I also want to have a word (tin hat is donned) for Duff, in his brief cameo he looked more threatening than in the rest of his 3 years at the club, obviously it's only 20 mins but it was encouraging to see.