Metzelder & Boussouffa

steve_69

I think Metzelder would be a brilliant signing. I know he hasn't played a lot this season, but personally I always saw him as a gift for Schuster (due to the fact they are both German) and after they shelled out almost £20m for Pepe I couldn't see Metzelder getting a chance in the team.

He has only made 7 league appearances this season and probably lacks the sharpness which he exhibited for years at Dortmund and after the last World Cup I think a lot of us could tell he is a top class defender ... only 27 too. Personally, I think Metzelder should be made a high priority signing.

I don't know a lot about Boussoufa, but I do know he is small, weak and injury prone. These three attributes, so to speak would inhibit us further.

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3746634.ece

They have also expressed an interest in Mbark Boussoufa, the Morocco striker, although Anderlecht, his Belgian club, are not resigned to losing the 23-year-old. Kia, the Korean car firm who sponsor the Belgium team, have offered to fund a portion of Boussoufa's wages in order to keep him in the country.

“I know the size of the contract Newcastle will offer Boussoufa,” Benoît Morenne, the Kia managing director, said. “The difference between it and what he earns at Anderlecht is not insurmountable. We want to make him one of our ambassadors. It is the only way to keep players of his quality in Belgium. Newcastle want an answer from Boussoufa by the end of the week, so there is no time to lose.”

I've never seen him play but if those comments are true then it's nice to see us going into the Summer with targets already approached.

Anderlecht star Mbark Boussoufa is convinced he'd still be at Chelsea without the arrival of Roman Abramovich.

Boussoufa is a target for Newcastle United and said: "I'm flattered by Newcastle's interest. It is always nice to know clubs are watching me.

"I spent two years with Chelsea, so I know what English football is all about. I learned a lot from their players, especially Gianfranco Zola.

"I was on the point of breaking into their first team when Roman Abramovich arrived. He signed seven star players, and the youngsters were not given their chance.

"I would not say no to a good offer from England. If Newcastle want me they must first speak to my club - and then I'll gladly listen to what they have to say."

Sadly Metzelder peaked about 5 years ago. Shameful for a 27 year old but since the '02 WC, he's never regained his form and has suffered from countless injuries. Just not worth it imo although it must be said, he could easily turn into a 'Boro Woodgate' for us (i.e. recovers from long-term injuries to be good once again). But, if we do have money to burn, then there'll be better (and still realistic) targets out there.