Our Wayne Is Better Than Yours

Tooj

Still at the moment not in Shearer's class, imo.

And never will be.

Even the world's best forwards at the minute are streets ahead of Rooney.  Eto'o, Torres, Van Nistelrooy etc..

Rooney is very good, but he's definitely not great. 

See, id disagree with that, look at the stats that Man U have with him in the team, also he has a goal scoring record of nearly 1 in 2 games (throughout his Man U career), thats generally accepted as being a top goal scoring ratio, to be fair to him he's not an out an out goal scoring strikers like the others as well so his build up play and influence on the game isnt highlighted as much as the others.

If i could have any striker in the world at nufc, he'd come very close to the top in my opinion.

Aye, the likes of Torres, Nistelroy and Eto aren't valid comparisons cos they do a different job for the team. They're primarliy finishers and Rooney isn't. Rooney has got a bit of everything - strength, power, good touch and passing and he gets his head up when he's on the ball. Finishing's not what it might be but he still scares defenders when he picks it up 20-30 yards out, as he can make things happen.

Must admit I preferred to watch the swashbuckling, raging bull Rooney of 2004 and before, but would probably agree that he's a better footballer these days.

Agree with all of that!

That game against Croatia 2004 was one of the best individual perfomrances from anEngland player in a long  long time. Reckon we'd of got to the final if he didnt get injured in the QF.

You could see the confidence drain from the England team the second he hobbled off the pitch.

And never will be.

Even the world's best forwards at the minute are streets ahead of Rooney.  Eto'o, Torres, Van Nistelrooy etc..

See, id disagree with that, look at the stats that Man U have with him in the team, also he has a goal scoring record of nearly 1 in 2 games (throughout his Man U career), thats generally accepted as being a top goal scoring ratio, to be fair to him he's not an out an out goal scoring strikers like the others as well so his build up play and influence on the game isnt highlighted as much as the others.

If i could have any striker in the world at nufc, he'd come very close to the top in my opinion.

Aye, the likes of Torres, Nistelroy and Eto aren't valid comparisons cos they do a different job for the team. They're primarliy finishers and Rooney isn't. Rooney has got a bit of everything - strength, power, good touch and passing and he gets his head up when he's on the ball. Finishing's not what it might be but he still scares defenders when he picks it up 20-30 yards out, as he can make things happen.

Must admit I preferred to watch the swashbuckling, raging bull Rooney of 2004 and before, but would probably agree that he's a better footballer these days.

:huff:

Of course they're valid comparisons, they all play up front.  And Eto'o is far from just an in the box finisher type of player.

He is fast, strong and can beat players with ease.  Same with Torres.  Eto'o can even switch out wide when needed and will track back opposition wingers.  They are a much more frightening thought 20-30 yards from goal as they're more likely to put the ball in the net.

Man Utd have scored 72 goals in the league this year.  Rooney has only managed 11.  Keepers will feel an advantage and gain confidence playing against Rooney knowing he will need about 4 or 5 chances to score a goal.

And never will be.

Of course they're valid comparisons, they all play up front.  And Eto'o is far from just an in the box finisher type of player.

He is fast, strong and can beat players with ease.  Same with Torres.  Eto'o can even switch out wide when needed and will track back opposition wingers.  They are a much more frightening thought 20-30 yards from goal as they're more likely to put the ball in the net.

Man Utd have scored 72 goals in the league this year.  Rooney has only managed 11.  Keepers will feel an advantage and gain confidence playing against Rooney knowing he will need about 4 or 5 chances to score a goal.

So wheres this "streets ahead" opinion fit in, Eto'o without a shadow of a doubt poses more of a goal threat, but Rooney poses more of a threat to the game.

Rooney can do it all as a striker, create as well as finish, Eto'o cant create, hae a look at those goal that Man U have scored and i bet more often than not Rooney played a role (if not key role) in a lot of those goals. I dont think the same can be said of torres or Et'o and defnitiely not for Van Horseface.

Like i say, if i placed money on who i thinkcould drag the game by the balls and win it for a team id put it on Rooney. Its takes the great players in the world to be able to do that.

And never will be.

Rooney has scored 11 goals in 24 league appearences this season, some coming off the bench. He's got 11 goals in 20 games when he's played for 70 minutes or more, which isn't bad at all.

Add to that that he's made 11 assists as well, and you've got a player who scores or sets up a goal in nearly every game he plays in, that certainly compares with the likes of Torres, Van Nistelroy and Etoo in terms of class.

Guest float one in

And never will be.

Sorry mate, I don' think they are valid comparisons, particularly in the context of this thread. I know Eto and Torres can beat men but they are still finishers - they are in the team to score and little else. Rooney is in the team for what he brings to the build up play, as well as scoring himself.

It's like comparing Teddy Sheringham and Andy Cole in my opinion. I remember Cole skinning players on his route to scoring sometimes, but he was still in the team to score goals. I'm not neccessarily saying that Cole's style was similar to Eto, Torres or Nistelroy, or that he was in the same class, but he did essentially the same job for the team. In the same way, Sheringham performed a similar function to the one Rooney does now at Man U, but in a different style and with a different approach. We need to seperate style from function.

I'd say when Rooney was at Everton he was a similar player to Torres and Eto, albeit without the same level of finishing. This thread is all about how he is a different player these days though.

And never will be.

Pretty sure Geremi's played in all of our wins this season...

And never will be.

Pretty sure Geremi's played in all of our wins this season...

This is why im of the opinion that Geremi is as good as Rooney.  ;)

• 1 month later...

Fuck you Fergie for taking the flair out of Wayne, fuck you man. All part of his plan to take down the England national team iyam.

Let him run the show like he used to, let him swagger about the pitch, let him take the piss out of the opposition. Either that or somehow clone this guy and I'll be happy.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4593/beardsleypa449fw5.jpg