Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Mort made a mistake with his statement TBH. What he should have said was "I'm not going to make one off signings to appease the morans".

I'm a newcastle fan and what would "appease" me is if we went out and sign 4 quality players. I'don't give a fuck whether they are a "big name" or a "Statement signing" because neither of those specifics will get you into the top 4, which should be our aim.

For me Keegan is the "big name" and the real "statement" of our intentions.

where a lot of you are getting a little bit confused here, in your usual haste to misrepresent the old board, is that the 2 things tend to come hand in hand.

Although I would strongly disagree that a Chelsea fringe player is a "big name" , none of the top 4 teams would have considered him to be a "big name" especially the one that sold him.

Buying a top quality player is certainly a "statement", Keegan himself said it many times during his first spell as manager.

Likewise, buying free transfers and low key buys that are "good business" is also a certain type of "statement" too

Don't get me wrong Ne5, i agree that they come hand in hand but the quality comes before the statement, if that makes sense. We are not going out to make a statement, we are going out to sign good players, making that statment in the process.

There's some good players out there that can be bought for reasonable money, who perhaps aren't big names that we can improve our squad with.

For me all Mort is saying is that we won't be JUST signing players such as Owen etc. We need to go out an be sensible too.

A good example of what i'm talking about are players like Vidic and Evra. Personally i'd never heard of them and the money wasn't massive, so their was no statement but they are just as important to Man Utds title challenge as your Rooneys and Ronaldos.

A little from column A and a little from column B please.

I fail to see where you can say that the club hasn't always tried to do just that.

Because, whether you like it or not, it {b] has [/b] been attempting to do that, just not so successfully as manu and 3 other clubs in particular, but better than pretty much all of the rest.

I would rather Mort got on with showing he can do better than in the past, rather than belittling the good club that he has been left to run.

What are you going to say when Keegan steps up the pressure and demands the club show its teeth and ambition, like he did the last time ? Because if they don't, its a nailed on certainty that he will do precisely that.

You must agree thats highly ironic to bleat on about "appeasing" fans then buying fans drinks in town ?

I'm sorry, and no pun intended, but I just can't buy into that.

Ah you see, i have never once implied the club hasn't tried to do that. That's what they have done but in the past, managers (and allegedly the chairman) have made huge mistakes in the players we sign.

As for Mort and probably more specifically Ashley, i believe the club will give Keegan the cash. Keegan, as you say, will squeeze those above but that's to be expected. You obviously have major doubts on whether the will give him the money and you are quite entitled to your opinion.

IMO, the trio will have sat down when KK was appointed and talked about the backing. If KK wasn't happy with it, then i don't think he would have come back. Maybe he will get stabbed in the back but i believe they will come good.

Nobody is denying mistakes have been made, if they hadn't, we would have won loads of trophies, every club can say exactly the same in fact.

As UV has said, its not simply a case of just giving him the cash, its punching your weight. We should be targetting the players that WE want and just getting them, if they are playing for clubs smaller than us it should be a no brainer decision for the player. Matching clubs like Blackburn, Bolton and all the mid table teams with half our fanbase just doesn't come into the equation here.

We have to act bigger than them, and show we are bigger than them.

Once in a while a "big name" transfer busting signing makes a "statement" and its the sort of "statment" the trophy winning clubs make.

Clubs who operate in the lower marketing area also make "statements" in their transfer activities, which are that they are clubs either incapable or unwilling to match the real big boys

Which do YOU prefer, and which one do you think Newcastle United should be operating in ?

Guest shaun11177

It isnt up to Mort to dictate to Keegan who he should or shouldnt sign, he should give Keegan a budget and let him get on with it. If KK wants to sign 2 31 years olds then he has to be backed.

We cant have a situation where KK only gets the money if the player is within a certain age group.

I interpret Mort's comments as follows-if a big name player becomes available-Henry?-we wont compete with the Champions Lge clubs for his signature. i.e we will not appease the fans by paying wages that are not in the budget.

To me Mort should stay out of transfer decisions, his job is to balance the budget that Ashley gives him-nothing more.

Mort made a mistake with his statement TBH. What he should have said was "I'm not going to make one off signings to appease the morans".

I'm a newcastle fan and what would "appease" me is if we went out and sign 4 quality players. I'don't give a fuck whether they are a "big name" or a "Statement signing" because neither of those specifics will get you into the top 4, which should be our aim.

where a lot of you are getting a little bit confused here, in your usual haste to misrepresent the old board, is that the 2 things tend to come hand in hand.

Although I would strongly disagree that a Chelsea fringe player is a "big name" , none of the top 4 teams would have considered him to be a "big name" especially the one that sold him.

Buying a top quality player is certainly a "statement", Keegan himself said it many times during his first spell as manager.

Likewise, buying free transfers and low key buys that are "good business" is also a certain type of "statement" too

Don't get me wrong Ne5, i agree that they come hand in hand but the quality comes before the statement, if that makes sense. We are not going out to make a statement, we are going out to sign good players, making that statment in the process.

There's some good players out there that can be bought for reasonable money, who perhaps aren't big names that we can improve our squad with.

For me all Mort is saying is that we won't be JUST signing players such as Owen etc. We need to go out an be sensible too.

A good example of what i'm talking about are players like Vidic and Evra. Personally i'd never heard of them and the money wasn't massive, so their was no statement but they are just as important to Man Utds title challenge as your Rooneys and Ronaldos.

I fail to see where you can say that the club hasn't always tried to do just that.

Because, whether you like it or not, it {b] has [/b] been attempting to do that, just not so successfully as manu and 3 other clubs in particular, but better than pretty much all of the rest.

I would rather Mort got on with showing he can do better than in the past, rather than belittling the good club that he has been left to run.

What are you going to say when Keegan steps up the pressure and demands the club show its teeth and ambition, like he did the last time ? Because if they don't, its a nailed on certainty that he will do precisely that.

You must agree thats highly ironic to bleat on about "appeasing" fans then buying fans drinks in town ?

Ah you see, i have never once implied the club hasn't tried to do that. That's what they have done but in the past, managers (and allegedly the chairman) have made huge mistakes in the players we sign.

As for Mort and probably more specifically Ashley, i believe the club will give Keegan the cash. Keegan, as you say, will squeeze those above but that's to be expected. You obviously have major doubts on whether the will give him the money and you are quite entitled to your opinion.

IMO, the trio will have sat down when KK was appointed and talked about the backing. If KK wasn't happy with it, then i don't think he would have come back. Maybe he will get stabbed in the back but i believe they will come good.

Nobody is denying mistakes have been made, if they hadn't, we would have won loads of trophies, every club can say exactly the same in fact.

As UV has said, its not simply a case of just giving him the cash, its punching your weight. We should be targetting the players that WE want and just getting them, if they are playing for clubs smaller than us it should be a no brainer decision for the player. Matching clubs like Blackburn, Bolton and all the mid table teams with half our fanbase just doesn't come into the equation here.

Once in a while a "big name" transfer busting signing makes a "statement" and its the sort of "statment" the trophy winning clubs make.

Clubs who operate in the lower marketing area also make "statements" in their transfer activities, which are that they are clubs either incapable or unwilling to match the real big boys

Which do YOU prefer, and which one do you think Newcastle United should be operating in ?

What was your opinion when we couldn't get Boa Morte from Fulham?

Less words, more action (come the summer) is what we all want to be honest. I'm not particularly bothered about what he said but it's just cheap point scoring against the previous regime and I'm not particularly impressed with that. No real need to say anything at all. An enigmatic 'wait and see what happens during the transfer window' is all he probably should have said.

Can't argue with that mate but we don't know how the question was asked.

I don't know about you but i'm more than confident that KK will be backed the relevant funds to turn us into a top 6 side.

Yeah, true enough. Confident about the summer too :thup:

he wouldn't have been a trophy signing

So just to re iterate- you dont think we'll outspend our rivals and we'll be operating on a "sell to buy policy"?

Is that right?

Put your head on the line NE5...

its quite clear mate, the club simply can't rule out buying the top players at any time, ever, if they have genuine ambition and want to fulfill it.

he wouldn't have been a trophy signing

But he was a player at one of these small clubs who we wanted but didn't go in and just take him, instead they put their foot down and we had to go elsewhere.

What is your opinion on us not being able to do that?

Agree with that TBH.

So what do YOU think will happen win the summer and what do want to happen?

Also which players do you think we are capable of signing?

I don't see them ruling out "top players" NE5. I see them ruling out spending vast amounts of money on players probably past their best and just looking for one last big payday. We'll probably see 1 or 2 'prospects' brought in along with 2 or 3 mid-20s players who may well be top players but who will also integrate into the team and not consider themselves too big or too good for Newcastle United.

In other words, and I hate to use this phrase, no overblown trophy signings. Doesn't rule out a big name, big money player or two, but we'll spend wisely rather than throwing all our cash on one player who may be past it and who could be a risky purchase if things don't work out.

So just to re iterate- you dont think we'll outspend our rivals and we'll be operating on a "sell to buy policy"?

Is that right?

Put your head on the line NE5...

its quite clear mate, the club simply can't rule out buying the top players at any time, ever, if they have genuine ambition and want to fulfill it.

So you dont think we'll outspend our rivals and we'll operate on a "sell to buy" policy?

Because if you don't think we'll do the above then what the hell are you arguing about?

If you think we'll back Keegan to the fullest and we'll look to sign the claibre of player he's after then really there is absolutely no argument to be had. Full Stop.

I don't see them ruling out "top players" NE5. I see them ruling out spending vast amounts of money on players probably past their best and just looking for one last big payday. We'll probably see 1 or 2 'prospects' brought in along with 2 or 3 mid-20s players who may well be top players but who will also integrate into the team and not consider themselves too big or too good for Newcastle United.

In other words, and I hate to use this phrase, no overblown trophy signings. Doesn't rule out a big name, big money player or two, but we'll spend wisely rather than throwing all our cash on one player who may be past it and who could be a risky purchase if things don't work out.

That's the way i read it too.

Suppose now it is just a case of wait and see.

I thought that was how everyone read it.

You don't say. Everyone but NE5 methinks (may be wrong).

Agree with that TBH.

So what do YOU think will happen win the summer and what do want to happen?

Also which players do you think we are capable of signing?

Well to be fair, no club gets EVERY player they want [surely only an idiot would think that literally ] as Shearer turned down Manu for us to quote one huge example, but it seems to me that Mort is closing the door on signings. You shouldn't ever do that. Its the height of naivety.

You have always got to be interested in the top players, at all times.

I think Keegan will do well with what he's got. I don;t think we should set limits, but to answer your question if they give him 30m and say "thats your lot" apart from the fact I think that is wrong for the reasons mentioned, I think he would do better than a lot of other managers with that same money.

Its not the point though, the point is actually - right now - to show the footballing world that we intend to head for the top again, not making statements that look to be the opposite.

I HOPE he can buy David Bentley [but thats his choice] and after that a midfield player of top quality and after that a striker who will give us more legs and movement than Viduka does.

Positionally that is. But it is wrong to spend any more money just for the sake of it, which is why we shouldn't talk in "amounts". Other players will want to come here if he gets us moving upwards again. He may want another defender because we are short in numbers, but its not a priority I would say.

I think that unless he is impressed by one of the younger keepers, he'll be looking for a better and younger keeper than Given to be honest because he wanted a keeper who commanded his box the last time.

So as we didn't do that in the past either his dig at the old board was ill informed and unjustified?

I don't see them ruling out "top players" NE5. I see them ruling out spending vast amounts of money on players probably past their best and just looking for one last big payday.  We'll probably see 1 or 2 'prospects' brought in along with 2 or 3 mid-20s players who may well be top players but who will also integrate into the team and not consider themselves too big or too good for Newcastle United.

the entire last few pages of this thread have came about from the point where UV correctly said that we haven't really ever done that, so what exactly is Mort harping on about ?

Well to be fair, no club gets EVERY player they want [surely only an idiot would think that literally ] as Shearer turned down Manu for us to quote one huge example, but it seems to me that Mort is closing the door on signings. You shouldn't ever do that. Its the height of naivety.

You have always got to be interested in the top players, at all times.

I think Keegan will do well with what he's got. I don;t think we should set limits, but to answer your question if they give him 30m and say "thats your lot" apart from the fact I think that is wrong for the reasons mentioned, I think he would do better than a lot of other managers with that same money.

Its not the point though, the point is actually - right now - to show the footballing world that we intend to head for the top again, not making statements that look to be the opposite.

I HOPE he can buy David Bentley [but thats his choice] and after that a midfield player of top quality and after that a striker who will give us more legs and movement than Viduka does.

Positionally that is. But it is wrong to spend any more money just for the sake of it, which is why we shouldn't talk in "amounts". Other players will want to come here if he gets us moving upwards again. He may want another defender because we are short in numbers, but its not a priority I would say.

I think that unless he is impressed by one of the younger keepers, he'll be looking for a better and younger keeper than Given to be honest because he wanted a keeper who commanded his box the last time.

All fair comments.

You could have made this thread 10 pages shorter if you had said this in the first place.

So as we didn't do that in the past either his dig at the old board was ill informed and unjustified?

I didn't see it as a dig but I can see how it might of touched a nerve of Shepherd's fans.

Guest shaun11177

Whether a player is past their best is a Keegan decision not a Mort/Ashley decision that is all that matters.

Guest Brazilianbob

Shearer, Asprilla, Beardsley and David Batty were the only really big name players that Keegan bought, the rest were quality signings who all developed into big name players, i.e Robert Lee, Bez, Peacock, Barton.  Even Andy Cole wasn't proven when he bought him.

Infact the signing he could have been talking about could well have been Keegan as a player.

:nods: That's the last one I could come up with that fitted the criteria you all seem to be assuming he means. He only cost £100,000 like.

Infact the signing he could have been talking about could well have been Keegan as a player.

:nods: That's the last one I could come up with that fitted the criteria you all seem to be assuming he means. He only cost £100,000 like.

Again, nobody has mentioned money except when it concerns Henry who would cost a large sum.