Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just reading through the thread and i cant help but get the feeling that people are arguing completely different things.

Which player the Morts quotes were aimed at

Whether the old board did actually make statment signings

Whether Owen was a statement buy

Whether Owens signing was a good one in hindsight

What are people debating?

considering our best 2 buys last summer were both on deadline day ............

Sibierski wasn't so bad for a "panic buy", and neither was Owen.

Players like Bouimsong were well researched and linked with the club, so was Luque. Last summer, was the same ala Barton, and Viduka.

You're making it up, it doesn't matter when they sign for you. Totally irrelevant.

Our best 2 players were bought on transfer deadline day because that's when the selling clubs sold them, we were after Faye and Baye for months.  Bolton would not sell Faye earlier and Baye initially said that he wanted to stay with his club then somebody got injured and Baye decided that he didn't want to miss the chance of playing for us as he didn't know what would happen in the future, or words to that effect.

Boumsong was researched so well that we paid Rangers over £8 million for a player who had moved to them a few months earlier for nothing and Luque was never mentioned until we played against them pre-season.

Just reading through the thread and i cant help but get the feeling that people are arguing completely different things.

Which player the Morts quotes were aimed at

Whether the old board did actually make statment signings

Whether Owen was a statement buy

Whether Owens signing was a good one in hindsight

What are people debating?

All of the above and a few other things.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=17752&view=findpost&p=458898

bump........

even  Gol is finding him hard work just now ........

Really is possibly the thickest cunt I've came across on these message boards

thickmick is an apt description

Fairly pathetic iyam. Oh well, guess it's just me.

What do you mean by "even gol"? :D

EDIT: We signed Luque because he was offered to us, to stop Barca or Real getting him. This came after we pulled out of a deal for Boa Morte because they wanted a million more than we valued him at.

No idea what that has got to do with this thread though.

Players like Bouimsong were well researched and linked with the club, so was Luque. Last summer, was the same ala Barton, and Viduka.

You're making it up, it doesn't matter when they sign for you. Totally irrelevant.

Our best 2 players were bought on transfer deadline day because that's when the selling clubs sold them, we were after Faye and Baye for months.  Bolton would not sell Faye earlier and Baye initially said that he wanted to stay with his club then somebody got injured and Baye decided that he didn't want to miss the chance of playing for us as he didn't know what would happen in the future, or words to that effect.

Boumsong was researched so well that we paid Rangers over £8 million for a player who had moved to them a few months earlier for nothing and Luque was never mentioned until we played against them pre-season.

Unfortunately, if I said what I think of this and you  I would be childishly banned

I can say it on another site if you like where I won't be banned ?

Get the thread back on track then ........

For the record, we tried to sign Boumsong on a free too. We competed with liverpool and Rangers, and he decided he wanted to go to Scotland. I feel the "we paid Rangers over £8 million for  player who had moved to them a few months earlier for nothing" is irrelevant.

For the record, we tried to sign Boumsong on a free too. We competed with liverpool and Rangers, and he decided he wanted to go to Scotland. I feel the "we paid Rangers over £8 million for  player who had moved to them a few months earlier for nothing" is irrelevant.

Bobby Robson looked at Boumsong and didn't go for him on a free.

Bobby Robson looked at Boumsong and didn't go for him on a free.

Not what I've heard tbh, but you know best ;)

EDIT: Barca wanted him at the time too, but you're a better judge of player than any of their scouts too aren't you?

EDIT: Barca wanted him at the time too, but you're a better judge of player than any of their scouts too aren't you?

A quick Google of "Bobby Robson Boumsong," of course it's not proof but it adds a little weight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jul/17/newsstory.newcastleunited

What is known is that the Boumsong deal was so odd that it was commented upon by every observer and plenty of Newcastle fans at the time. Four months after succeeding Sir Bobby Robson as manager, Graeme Souness was in his first transfer window as Newcastle manager. At £8.2m, Boumsong was his first big statement in the market and Souness compared the Frenchman to John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in terms of what he might bring to Newcastle's notoriously fragile defence, which had just lost the England international Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid. The difficulty Souness and Newcastle had in persuading assessors of the worth of the deal was twofold. First, that no other club was known to be challenging Rangers to sign Boumsong and, second, that six months earlier Boumsong had left Auxerre for Rangers on a free transfer.

Newcastle were well aware of Boumsong prior to his departure from Auxerre because Robson had travelled to France to watch him. Robson declined the opportunity to sign the centre-half, even on a free transfer, and his doubts about Boumsong's suitability for British football were confirmed when the club's talismanic England striker Alan Shearer was marked by Boumsong in a pre-season game against Rangers and came off to speak in dismissive terms about the Frenchman's lack of physicality.

Shearer, famous for guarded comments, even mentioned Boumsong's previous availability on a free transfer on television and when Boumsong made his Newcastle debut against Yeading in the FA Cup at Loftus Road, and was given a torrid time by DJ Campbell, doubts over the wisdom of the transfer mushroomed.

90k for Oba is just ridiculous.

What the hell is this thread actually about?

Well decky, its about Mort saying that the club won't sign players to appease the fans. Some of us are wondering just who he is talking about and discussing the merits of who we think he is referring to.

Some people are just being daft and obstructive though, then they will accuse others of dragging it all down.

Some people actually think that these signings to "appease the fans" are actually the whole idea of making good signings  ;D

Shame its all gone a bit off track like, but I for one was quite intrigued by this one for a while.

i read it that he is talking about the situation we were in in jnauary when some were clamouring for players...any players regardless of wether they were better than those we already had or not.

well what do you know, an intelligent response, its been a while.

We were in a bad position, at the time, and needed players, and if not for Keegan finding a way to play the front 3 that he did and keeping Owen fit, his lack of "appeasing the fans" may have spectacularly backfired.

Thats the point under discussion. He obviously means that he thinks the club have brought these players before, shame they just happen to be players that got the club into the Champions League ?

That did appease you I take it ?

If you think he wasn't in fact talking about any current player(s) on the books, then I take it you mean the club bought good players with a genuine intention of building a good football club prior to Mort ? The clubs record buy, that many people have slated, has came along, produced the goods, and scored some vital goals, arguably saving the club and him from a barrage of criticism.

So which is it ?

I think Mort is probably saying that it's pointless making panic buys in a hurry or you end up with Luque or Boumsong (or Benjani if he'd gone with your instinct at the time). In the event, Mort and Ashley made the correct appointment in Keegan and have rightly kept their powder dry to get the players they really want in the summer. What is wrong with that?

You said Benjani or bust, they said no thanks we don't need players who aren't better than what we have got. I think they got it right to be fair.

So you stick by your view we should have signed the likes of Benjani in the January window then?

A quick Google of "Bobby Robson Boumsong," of course it's not proof but it adds a little weight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jul/17/newsstory.newcastleunited

What is known is that the Boumsong deal was so odd that it was commented upon by every observer and plenty of Newcastle fans at the time. Four months after succeeding Sir Bobby Robson as manager, Graeme Souness was in his first transfer window as Newcastle manager. At £8.2m, Boumsong was his first big statement in the market and Souness compared the Frenchman to John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in terms of what he might bring to Newcastle's notoriously fragile defence, which had just lost the England international Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid. The difficulty Souness and Newcastle had in persuading assessors of the worth of the deal was twofold. First, that no other club was known to be challenging Rangers to sign Boumsong and, second, that six months earlier Boumsong had left Auxerre for Rangers on a free transfer.

Newcastle were well aware of Boumsong prior to his departure from Auxerre because Robson had travelled to France to watch him. Robson declined the opportunity to sign the centre-half, even on a free transfer, and his doubts about Boumsong's suitability for British football were confirmed when the club's talismanic England striker Alan Shearer was marked by Boumsong in a pre-season game against Rangers and came off to speak in dismissive terms about the Frenchman's lack of physicality.

Shearer, famous for guarded comments, even mentioned Boumsong's previous availability on a free transfer on television and when Boumsong made his Newcastle debut against Yeading in the FA Cup at Loftus Road, and was given a torrid time by DJ Campbell, doubts over the wisdom of the transfer mushroomed.

You can dismiss that article straight away after it claims that no other club was challenging Rangers for his signature.

Liverpool have opened talks with Jean-Alain Boumsong, but the Auxerre defender says he is not expecting to move before the end of the season.

The 23-year-old had been linked with a move to Anfield throughout the summer after revealing he would not renew his contract with Auxerre.

But no deal has so far materialised.

On Wednesday, Boumsong said: "There has been contact with Liverpool but I have not signed anything."

Liverpool's defence has looked brittle through the early part of the season.

And boss Gerard Houllier is thought to be keen to bolster his backline, with Boumsong available on a free transfer when his contract expires in the summer of 2004.

Auxerre boss Guy Roux is battling to fend off Liverpool's interest in both Boumsong and striker Djibril Cisse.

Boumsong is on the cusp of France's international set-up and could be part of the squad to face Israel in their Euro 2004 qualifier.

The squad is announced by boss Jacques Santini on Thursday.

This. I hate it when people point out that because he was Free five months earlier, £8m was too much. Seem to remember the season before he went to Rangers, he was linked with Liverpool in a double swoop with Cisse for around about the same amount we paid for him.

If you think there was a chance we might have been relegated without him this season (most will assign the turnaround in our fortunes to his redeployment), then he has saved us over 16m.

It was his second half goal at Birmingham that turned our situation round. Priceless imo.

There was a chance we could have got relegated without him in his first season here imo.

I think those 2 posts prove quite conclusively that he has paid his fee back in spades, despite being injured a lot. Makes you wonder what we could have had for our money otherwise. No doubt people will still say we shouldn't have bought him and slate the club for the "debt" .........

Wonder what their reaction would have been if we'd missed the boat and lost a damn sight more in revenue through being relegated ?

Staggering.

Totally hyopthetical, had we not signed Owen we would no doubt have signed someone else.

indeed, some sort of player who wouldn't have appeased the fans no doubt, a nobody player with the 2m left in the transfer budget maybe, if it was Chris Mort having his way.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z261/pakuorg/fail.jpg