Keegan interview

Baggio

Are you seriously not getting my point or just looking for an argument?

I think I misunderstood you.

"Director" is an all encompassing term.  It's a title given to someone who oversees all aspects.  Like a film director, he's not responsible for any one thing, but for sealing the deal on what everyone else is doing in their specific roles.

I'm not sure if your problem is Wise being given that title, or anyone at any club.  I thought the former, but it seems you meant the latter.

Personally I think it's a clearly defined role, but undermines the man who should do that job, the manager.

My point is it isn't a clearly defined role, I think you're taking it to literally, its an executive title..  When Keegan said Allardyce would be mad to allow a Director of Football he'll have had an idea in his head of what a Director of Football is.  The fact that Wise has the title of Executive Director of Football doesn't mean his role fits what Keegan had in mind in the slightest.

I think you're clutching at straws.

Keegan said Allardyce would be mad to have a director of football and the owner would be mad to install one.

Now he's at the club and he has one.

Whatever Keegan's ideas on what that job entailed at the time and however Wise fits into that mould, it's still a glaring contradiction.

No mate, actually your clutching at straws with this conspiracy theory, its tantamount to the kind of sensationalist journalism we see from any tabloid news paper.  Like I said, a title does not describe an exact role.  If Keegan is happy with the role Wise is in then the title he holds is completely irrelivant.

Ashley: "Part of our plan is to bring in someone to help advise the board in general Football matters.  He won't have the power to buy players without your say so and has no power to fire you ect"

Keegan: "I've got no problem with someone being in that role".

Ashley: "His title will be Executive Director of Football"

Keegan:  What?!  Director of Football?!!  But Mike I'm scared of that title!!

The important thing is the role that was described to Keegan, not the title.

Surely the main difference is Keegan knew someone would be coming in to do that job when he accepted the position, Allardyce on the other hand came in under Shepherd with no plans to put this set up in place as far as we know.

No mate, actually your clutching at straws with this conspiracy theory, its tantamount to the kind of sensationalist journalism we see from any tabloid news paper.  Like I said, a title does not describe an exact role.

Ashley: Part of our plan is to bring in someone to help advise the board in general Football matters.  He won't have the power to buy players without your say so and has no power to fire you ect"

Keegan: I've got no problem with someone being in that role.

Ashley: His title will be Executive Director of Football

Keegan:  What?!  Director of Football!!  oh nooooosss, but Mike I'm scared of that title!!

I'm just saying the facts contrast interstingly.  I've never said whether any of it is a particularly good or bad thing.  You're clearly oversensetive about it.

Imagine Keegan says the club doesn't need a striker and then signs Torres.  That would be a brilliant way for Keegan to contradict himself and would obviously mean he saw the benefit of doing so.  It might be something good that brought him around on this one.

Well yeah it is a contradiction technically, but a pedantic one with no real importance.

It's a contradiction like saying there's nothing that could bring you back to management then accepting a job offer 60 days later (from the man you'd previously turned down when he approached you).

There must be a reason he's willing to go along with these things when he wasn't before, and i don't think it's pedantic to wonder.

Ok fair enough, I just think the most likely explenation is that the role Wise has is not what Keegan originally had in mind as the typical Director of Football.  That's my opinion.

You're saying that in your opinion Keegan didn't want to come back, wasn't happy with Wise but needed the money.. and that's not a bad thing? :kasper:

Certainly no worse than still having Allardyce in charge.

EDIT: Or Redknapp

How come this got bumped? Next someone will be pointing out that Owen said his time under Keegan for England was crap.

I'd not seen the Inside Sport Interview.

Plus I'm sick of transfer speculation.  There's naught I hate more.

Gabby Logan: You will never manage again?

Keegan: I don't think it'll happen no, I just think my life's gone in a different direction now.  I haven't watched a game of Football live since my last game on Man City.  So I don't think it'll happen, but you never know.

When you watch the entire interview its certainly not as definitive as the initial "nothing" makes it sound.  What if Newcastle was the only job that could bring him back, would you expect him to answer "The Newcastle job".  Or "Only one job could bring me back".  That would be touting for another mans job..

He also mentions in that interview that he's had offers from other clubs, if he needed the cash why not take one of those?  Rather then coming back to the club he loves just for the money in a situation he knows would have to end badly.

Gabby Logan: You will never manage again?

Keegan: I don't think it'll happen no, I just think my life's gone in a different direction now.  I haven't watched a game of Football live since my last game on Man City.  So I don't think it'll happen, but you never know.

When you watch the entire interview its certainly not as definitive as the initial "nothing" makes it sound.  What if Newcastle was the only job that could bring him back, would you expect him to answer "The Newcastle job".  Or "Only one job could bring me back".  That would be touting for another mans job..

He also mentions in that interview that he's had offers from other clubs, if he needed the cash why not take one of those?  Rather then coming back to the club he loves just for the money in a situation he knows would have to end badly.

Why would it have to end badly?

It's going swimmingly if you ask me.

I reckon he needs the cash after spending £6M on his soccer circus so accepts the job as advertised.

i always find this sort of stuff hard to believe, he made colossal amounts of money when playing and managing, and al fayed helped set up the soccer circus, it wasnt just all out of keegans pocket. and if there really WERE financial difficulties, there'd be things other than taking a job that went against his principles

How come this got bumped? Next someone will be pointing out that Owen said his time under Keegan for England was crap.

Not having a go, just this was widely discussed when he was appointed. :)

Agree on the transfer stuff like. Not sure this is any better though. ;)

Not having a go, just this was widely discussed when he was appointed. :)

Agree on the transfer stuff like. Not sure this is any better though. ;)

I was too pissed to remeber anything for a week after he was appointed.

Keegan in a job he doesn't want to do and within a structure he fundamentally disagrees with.  A job he agreed to purely for the money.  How can that not end badly?  Its akin to putting a arachnophobic inside a container with 100 types of tarantula.

Keegan in a job he doesn't want to do and within a structure he fundemantally disagrees with.  A job he agreed to purely for the money.  How can that no end badly?  Do you know anything about the man?

Who said he doesn't want to do it?

I work for the money.  If I had all the money in the world, I wouldn't be doing my current job.  But I'm still happy doing my job.  I'm well paid for it and if I have a disagreement with my boss I'm happy to bow to his leadership.

Why can't he just be a happy employee?  Why does he have to have complete autonomy and threaten to leave the club at the drop of a hat?

You aren't Kevin Keegan and your job isn't manager of Newcastle United..  Which is why that comparison is crazy.

We're talking about a man who is incredibly passionate and has to do things his way.  At a club he loves, a club he left previously because he saw a small amount of power being taken away from him.  There's no way he could last three years as Newcastle manager in a situation he doesn't want to be in purely for the cash, he'd lose his marbles within a year if that was the case.

I could believe it if someone told me Keegan had some reservations about the job.  But this idea of Keegan not wanting to even be in Football at all and being totally against the ideas the club were putting forward, but accepting the job anyway because he was bankrupt is insane IMO.

I could believe it if someone told me Keegan had some reservations about the job.  But this idea of Keegan not wanting to even be in Football at all and being totally against the ideas the club were putting forward, but accepting the job anyway because he was bankrupt is insane IMO.

"Bankrupt"?  :lol:  Nowt like that, just covering his losses with a side bet ffs.

He wants to be here, but more to cover his losses than from any desire to be back in the game, because he clearly wasn't interested 60 days before he did come back.