It's not a top four, it's a top three

Guest neesy111

Definitely agree with the opening post of Top Three plus Liverpool - I don't think Liverpool have mounted a realistic challenge for years but they are clearly a level above the likes of Everton and Villa...

As for the whole economic-philosophy tangent I have just one little question: What do you reckon the liberal workplace laws of the European Union would think of the draft and salary cap proposals? You're kidding yourselves - the philosophy of the EU is deregulation, not more regulation!

Are you being serious, or is this a wind-up ? The philosophy pf the EU is DE-regulation !!???

That's the best one I've heard all year - ask people whose bins are emptied once a fortnight whether they agree - that is, of course, whether they know that it is because of an EU Directive that the Councils are doing this - its all to do with Land-fill etc.

Also, try asking people losing their local PO whether they like it - again, another EU Directive, supposedly to allow 'Competition'...

There are numerous examples but, as I have said before, this is a Football site.

Okay, so I'm lazy and failed to specify precisely what I meant. So, if you will allow me, when I say "the philosophy of the EU is deregulation" I mean specifically and very narrowly to the sphere under discussion ie treating football as "normal employment"

Starting with Bosman and leading inexorably to the Scottish (?) player who recently won the right to buy out his contract the EU has consistently and vigorously resisted any efforts of football to be seperated from normal EU employment laws - the very laws which allowed all these footballers to challenge what is(from a strictly economic/political perspective) at best an irregular and artifical marketplace.

Which was the exact point I am making. Jean-Marc Bosman won the right for footballers to be treated as normal employees who could move freely once their contract of employment had expired - something that in the general labour market is taken as a given.

It may very well be that a salary cap or draft system could be beneficial to football - but just like quotas on foreign players, it simply doesn't jive with the EU's labour philosophy.

Sorry to be verbose but I had previously failed to make myself understood...

OK, I see your point - whilst I agree that footballers should be able to move at the end of their contracts, I believe that it was primarily the Lawyers that pushed Bosman;s case - he was basically arguing for freedom of choice of your employer, and no-one can argue with that - however, as a general rule, I think that political interference in Football is NOT beneficial.

There's a bit of a gap between Liverpool and the rest of the top four and an enormous gap between Liverpool and the rest of the league.

I dont think the gap between liverpool and the rest of the league is too much tbh.

Liverpool fans should be worried imo.

Guest Scouseman

There's a bit of a gap between Liverpool and the rest of the top four and an enormous gap between Liverpool and the rest of the league.

I dont think the gap between liverpool and the rest of the league is too much tbh.

How does that work Ash4? 

We are 7 points behind you and Everton are 11 behind us.  Also, we finished ahead of you the previous two seasons.

Liverpool are 11 points clear of 5th placed Everton and only 11 points off being top.  Most people criticise Rafa for concentrating on the Champions League at the expense of the Prem, and I'm pretty sure that if it had been the other way around then they'd easily be within 4 or 5 points of winning the league.

Guest Knightrider

The game couldn't force a salary cap on players, but there could be ways to even things up. For example, force each club to field at least 3 homegrown players which will help the grassroots game, clubs won't be so open to thousands of kids who will never ever make it, they'll be far more selective, plus more will go into trying to get a kid to make it and of course, these kids will get a chance to make it. Secondly why not introduce a turnover to wages kind of cap, i.e a club can only spend a certain amount of it's turnover on wages, this will even things up financially and see a lot less clubs get into trouble financially and you'd hope, would bring down wages to a sensible level. If a club has only say 45% of it's turnover to spend on wages, it isn't going to allocate most of that to a select few players, it will distribute a large percentage of it evenly and while still keeping star earners, these earners wouldn't be earning doubl what their team-mate is or in some cases, 3 times more. For example a top top player could be earning 50K a week, instead of 125K a week. Where as your shite players won't be earning 30-40K a week, but 10s to 20s if that, a far more realistic salary. The game could also enforce  other things like a percentage of turnover having to go back into the academy and reducing ticket prices etc. I think all clubs should be forced to field at least 1 local player too.

Thoughts?

I thought it was a top five now, anyway? At least that's what Dr. Spectrum was telling us back in November, or something?

How long have you been waiting to use that one for then? ;)

I thought it was a top five now, anyway? At least that's what Dr. Spectrum was telling us back in November, or something?

It's about the fifth time I've said something along those lines in the last month, man!

It's about the fifth time I've said something along those lines in the last month, man!

Only the first I've seen though!