Why not take a gamble on some South Americans?

Zero

can see the point of the post - if i had anything to do with this new scouting policy we've got going i'd have someone right off to argentina/uruguay/chile/mexico/colombia primarily watching defenders or defensive midfielders

generally speaking they have the physical attributes to succeed in england and are as hard as coffin nails...mascherano and example of having one not the other

can see more the wisdom of being wary with midfielders/attackers as you'd be hard pushed to tell whether they'd cope with the physical aspect, you wouldn't have that concern with most defenders as it's part of their game (brazil excepted perhaps)

the Brazilian league is very physical, perhaps moreso than the EPL believe it or not. I`ve watched a lot of Brazilian games and some of the fouls and tackles that are committed in that league make the EPL like a ballerina league

fair point, suppose i was just thinking they don't tend to produce your common garden hard as nails defender at a high level do they? 

most of the ones that make it are good on the ball and can defend, they rarely tend to produce a samuel, cordoba or any number or argies...for a flying fullback i'd consider looking to brazil like (suppose disproves the hard thing a bit!)

this is an inexpert opinion of course, just a view...the brazilian league tends to be slow when i've seen it, making the pace hard to get used to rather than the physicality?

If we can buy the very best, like Tevez or Mascherano, then fine. But below that level, a lot of them seem to have trouble making that adjustment to the physicality of the Premiership straight from South American football. The likes of Gavilan and Bassedas have put me off a bit.

neither were any worse than luque!  or marcelino! or maric!

Guest Knightrider

Argentinian players tend to fair much better here in our league, perhaps because their football is very similar to our own, probably more physical even, and of course a lot of Argentinian players have what I'd call the right kind of character due to their upbringing and the kind of football they play as kids - raw street football. I've never seen a more harder working individual with so much talent as Tevez. Players like that are more than welcome in our game and indeed here at Newcastle and we'd be foolish to ignore them because they are South American. 4 of our most popular players of all-time were from that part of the world...

• 2 months later...
Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Saviola, Sorin and Riquelme, oh chuck in Cambiasso for DM and were laughing!!!!!! Get to work "Recruitment team"  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:razz:

can see the point of the post - if i had anything to do with this new scouting policy we've got going i'd have someone right off to argentina/uruguay/chile/mexico/colombia primarily watching defenders or defensive midfielders

generally speaking they have the physical attributes to succeed in england and are as hard as coffin nails...mascherano and example of having one not the other

can see more the wisdom of being wary with midfielders/attackers as you'd be hard pushed to tell whether they'd cope with the physical aspect, you wouldn't have that concern with most defenders as it's part of their game (brazil excepted perhaps)

the Brazilian league is very physical, perhaps moreso than the EPL believe it or not. I`ve watched a lot of Brazilian games and some of the fouls and tackles that are committed in that league make the EPL like a ballerina league

fair point, suppose i was just thinking they don't tend to produce your common garden hard as nails defender at a high level do they? 

most of the ones that make it are good on the ball and can defend, they rarely tend to produce a samuel, cordoba or any number or argies...for a flying fullback i'd consider looking to brazil like (suppose disproves the hard thing a bit!)

this is an inexpert opinion of course, just a view...the brazilian league tends to be slow when i've seen it, making the pace hard to get used to rather than the physicality?

wow, wish i didn't talk such negative shite all the time!

I`ve watched a fair bit of the Argentine league lately and a couple of players of I`ve been impressed with have been (not saying we need them)

Damien Escudero (River Plate) - attacking left sided midfielder that can play just off the front man

Diego Valeri - skilful winger who plays for Lanus.

Diego Buonanotte - River Plate

Playmaker but looks Madrid bound

Neri Cardozo

Pacey winger and good dribbling skills, and creates a lot of chances for his team

Fabian Assman - keeper for Independiente - I know we dont need a keeper but what a name :D

See my posting on 'so who's signing next week?' thread re Diego of Brazil; already playing in Germany, no work permit probs(has played 38 times for Brazil), has been a sensation in the Bundesliga and is only 23...

Detail on wikipedia under Diego Ribas Da Cunha

being watching a bit of Brazilian football this season and last. I'd love to see us go for Guillhereme of Cruziero. He looks like he's going to be a class player.

It`s ironic that not long ago people would have laughed at the thought of having a Brazilian keeper in the team but these days it`s more common place- Dida (Milan), Julio Cesar (Inter), Gomes (PSV, now Spurs), Doni (Roma), Cavalieri (Liverpool-not 1st team but highly rated) and Valencia have just signed a Brazilan keeper too

See my posting on 'so who's signing next week?' thread re Diego of Brazil; already playing in Germany, no work permit probs(has played 38 times for Brazil), has been a sensation in the Bundesliga and is only 23...

Detail on wikipedia under Diego Ribas Da Cunha

Agree and I don`t think Diego would be much of a `gamble`.....

I`ve watched a fair bit of the Argentine league lately and a couple of players of I`ve been impressed with have been (not saying we need them)

Damien Escudero (River Plate) - attacking left sided midfielder that can play just off the front man

Neri Cardozo

Pacey winger and good dribbling skills, and creates a lot of chances for his team

Fabian Assman - keeper for Independiente - I know we dont need a keeper but what a name :D

Would that be Damien Escudero who played for Velez (not River Plate?) and was just bought by Villarreal and loaned out to Real Valladolid

Neri Cardozo

Would that be Damien Escudero who played for Velez (not River Plate?) and was just bought by Villarreal and loaned out to Real Valladolid

that`s him....didn`t realise he`d just moved. Well anyway, Villareal have got themselves a good player

Guest Heneage

To be honest Dida and Caveleri are far from the best keepers in the world. Didas gotten progressivly more erratic. The rest are all quite good, Gomes is more of a shot stopper and has been known to flap.

To be honest Dida and Caveleri are far from the best keepers in the world. Didas gotten progressivly more erratic. The rest are all quite good, Gomes is more of a shot stopper and has been known to flap.

true that regarding Dida especially.....the same can be said of the English keepers too. We used to produce some of the best around but look at what we`re reduced to now