Frank Lampard

Tooj

Think it has a lot to do with his role in the team and the teams ethos that he scores so many and gets so many assists.

Cant disagree he's class, but he isnt second only to Xavi worldwide, thats a bit outrageous.

Who is better?

Iniesta.  :smug:

Fair play to Lampard though, he's been excellent and when it comes to a more direct, scoring goals from midfield style of play, there's no one better.

Gerrard on form is better than Lampard when it comes to direct attacking play imo. Lampard has never, and will never, be able to single handedly drive a team forward in the way Gerrard has done for a long while at Liverpool (especially before Torres' arrival). Gerrard has just had a bad season along with being in a team that has stagnated, and is surrounded by dross unless Torres is fit.

Lampard is the better passer of the ball and the better international standard player given that he's less inclined to lose the ball cheaply, but beyond that, he's merely perfected playing for one of the strongest and most stable teams in Europe. He has had one of the best defences in club football behind him for ages, some of the best defensive/hard working midfielders alongside/behind him for ages (including Makelele who used to be a one man brick wall almost), hard working wingers on either side with good ability to supply for ages (bar Duff's final year or two there), and top class strikers capable of playing on their own in front of him for ages. He's pretty much had the luxury of doing whatever he pleases on the pitch, and that's exactly how he plays for Chelsea - half the time he's in the opposition's penalty box, a luxury most central midfielders elsewhere can't afford (besides the superior Nolan of course). And given that he is someone who can stick the ball away well, and does have good passing ability, it's only expected that he'd have great stats every season playing for Chelsea given how s*** so many teams in the Premiership are.

So he's a class act for what he is, but I'm just not sure he's anything else beyond that. He's been poor for England whenever England have come up against a technically decent team, both in friendlies and in the major competitions, something that is often blamed on the team as a whole, or his midfield partner (Gerrard usually, who's been s*** at international level in all fairness). But added to this string of poor performances, both he and Chelsea have consistently come up short in the Champions League. He's usually very anonymous in those top end games, and the quality passing we see every week against the West Hams and the Wigans isn't there. I therefore find it hard to come to any conclusion other than him being a very good, well drilled, exceptionally consistent player who just doesn't have the physical tools or the natural ability to be effective at the very top levels. I.e. great player to have for season-long domestic competitions, but not sure you'd want him in a one-off knockout match against someone who can keep the ball for fun.

He's in the form of his life right now though, and has supposedly made some adjustments to his play, so maybe we'll see something different this year. Wouldn't want to bet my house on it though. I remember there being a similar wankathon over him around 2005-2006. He then had a mediocre World Cup, looked out of his depth/useless in a number of games, missed a penalty, and the wankathon died down and disappeared completely. Until 5-6 months later when he was scoring a hatful against open Premiership sides again and running riot against midfielders like Nicky Butt and Nigel Quashie.

but neither is he the first ever person to lose his mum.

x2 getting sick of hearing about her

Not really Lampard's fault if people mention her, unlike Petr "Look, my head still hurts!" Cech.

Funny. Very Funny :)

Gerrard on form is better than Lampard when it comes to direct attacking play imo. Lampard has never, and will never, be able to single handedly drive a team forward in the way Gerrard has done for a long while at Liverpool (especially before Torres' arrival). Gerrard has just had a bad season along with being in a team that has stagnated, and is surrounded by dross unless Torres is fit.

Lampard is the better passer of the ball and the better international standard player given that he's less inclined to lose the ball cheaply, but beyond that, he's merely perfected playing for one of the strongest and most stable teams in Europe. He has had one of the best defences in club football behind him for ages, some of the best defensive/hard working midfielders alongside/behind him for ages (including Makelele who used to be a one man brick wall almost), hard working wingers on either side with good ability to supply for ages (bar Duff's final year or two there), and top class strikers capable of playing on their own in front of him for ages. He's pretty much had the luxury of doing whatever he pleases on the pitch, and that's exactly how he plays for Chelsea - half the time he's in the opposition's penalty box, a luxury most central midfielders elsewhere can't afford (besides the superior Nolan of course). And given that he is someone who can stick the ball away well, and does have good passing ability, it's only expected that he'd have great stats every season playing for Chelsea given how s*** so many teams in the Premiership are.

So he's a class act for what he is, but I'm just not sure he's anything else beyond that. He's been poor for England whenever England have come up against a technically decent team, both in friendlies and in the major competitions, something that is often blamed on the team as a whole, or his midfield partner (Gerrard usually, who's been s*** at international level in all fairness). But added to this string of poor performances, both he and Chelsea have consistently come up short in the Champions League. He's usually very anonymous in those top end games, and the quality passing we see every week against the West Hams and the Wigans isn't there. I therefore find it hard to come to any conclusion other than him being a very good, well drilled, exceptionally consistent player who just doesn't have the physical tools or the natural ability to be effective at the very top levels. I.e. great player to have for season-long domestic competitions, but not sure you'd want him in a one-off knockout match against someone who can keep the ball for fun.

He's in the form of his life right now though, and has supposedly made some adjustments to his play, so maybe we'll see something different this year. Wouldn't want to bet my house on it though. I remember there being a similar wankathon over him around 2005-2006. He then had a mediocre World Cup, looked out of his depth/useless in a number of games, missed a penalty, and the wankathon died down and disappeared completely. Until 5-6 months later when he was scoring a hatful against open Premiership sides again and running riot against midfielders like Nicky Butt and Nigel Quashie.

nailed