The Big Issue - Height

toptoon

Defensively height is much more important than in attack.

When you attack... the player really attacks the ball... but defending your whole mentality is different.

cahill scores plenty with his head... but he wouldn't be marking John Terry.... Owen & Martins wont be of much help in that aspect.

Toptoon has taken some unfair flak for his comments. Don't think he was saying that height is the be it and end it of all. Sure positioning, jumping are all important. But height is one of many factors that are important for a good CB.  Saying that Martins and Owen are good at headers doesn't prove much coz first they are strikers and second they are good despite their lack of height not because of it.

I agree with Toptoon that with Faye's departure, we dont have that dominating strong physical CB (have not seen enough of Colo to fairly assess him). This sort of CB is especially important when we play against team who can't play on the deck and will just resort to high balls into the penalty box. Bolton is one such team (especially without players like Diouf and Anelka). Cacapa was raped the last time he played against a physical sort of striker and if he plays, Bolton will use this to their advantage. So yes we need another Faye like CB.

Having said all that, I still expect our lads to win against Bolton. 

Toptoon has taken some unfair flak for his comments. Don't think he was saying that height is the be it and end it of all. Sure positioning, jumping are all important. But height is one of many factors that are important for a good CB.  Saying that Martins and Owen are good at headers doesn't prove much coz first they are strikers and second they are good despite their lack of height not because of it.

I agree with Toptoon that with Faye's departure, we dont have that dominating strong physical CB (have not seen enough of Colo to fairly assess him). This sort of CB is especially important when we play against team who can't play on the deck and will just resort to high balls into the penalty box. Bolton is one such team (especially without players like Diouf and Anelka). Cacapa was raped the last time he played against a physical sort of striker and if he plays, Bolton will use this to their advantage. So yes we need another Faye like CB.

Having said all that, I still expect our lads to win against Bolton. 

Cheers Alpal78

You've got my point and are exactly right in my humble opinion. Faye's departure and the possibility of Cacapa coming in for Taylor has me worried  :undecided:, as Bolton are a very big physical team who scored 2 headers v Stoke (ok, i know) and could have had a few more too. So i'm sticking my neck out saying yes i think we'll struggle in the air IF , again IF Taylor out Cacapa in. That said on the ground we should kick their ass with our Speed/Skill.

The rest of you doubting dave's and parky's etc who disagree may all prove me wrong yet, we will see this weekend.  O0

The thing about Bolton scoring against Stoke with two headers though is that the Stoke team are massive.

It's like land of the giants. I think the footballing brains of our players and the atmosphere at St. James as the first home game will be too much for Bolton who will just go for damage limitation and get behind the ball.

The thing about Bolton scoring against Stoke with two headers though is that the Stoke team are massive.

It's like land of the giants. I think the footballing brains of our players and the atmosphere at St. James as the first home game will be too much for Bolton who will just go for damage limitation and get behind the ball.

Think and certainly hope you are right. It just Bolton's best shot to beat us will be keep it tight as poss, frustrate us, try to get our crowd on our back and smack long balls up to Kevin Davies who will murder Cacapa in the air (IF he plays). Set pieces we will also struggle with, i also hope we don't give many away.

Saying all that, IF i HAD to bet my house on this game, i'd bet on us. Looking forward to seeing Jonas play in particular.

We DO need more physical players in the side, and height is important for Central defenders, but provided we KEEP THE BALL any where near as well as last Sunday, we should cause them trouble at the other end of the field...timing the jump when heading clearances away etc, is more important than just height(look at Ameobi..!!), but a forward with good upper body strength as well as height, is a handful for defenders..Wyn Davies was never the best footballing CF, but terrified international defenders with his leaping ability.

Although there will be very few fans left alive who saw Hughie Gallacher,he was a real handful for centre-halves in the air, even though he was only 5'5", but there aren't many like that ; in general, a good big 'un beats a good little 'un...

Nevertheless, I thought Coloccini and Taylor handled high balls well last Sunday, although Bolton will present a different kind of threat. I WOULD be worried if Cacapa was playing....